NFL considering rule change to prevent cord cutting.

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Re: NFL considering rule change to prevent cord cutting.

Post by Major Kong »

I remember back in my younger days TV stations would sign off playing the National Anthem...I never thought twice about it.

I believe it's a tradition started during WWII. It's something expected and the US isn't the only country that has the tradition.
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

CFB Apologist

Post by CFB Apologist »

Normal, proud Americans don't ask that question.[/quote]
Not sure if you are being serious or sarcastic.

It was started as an act of patriotism decades ago and has blossomed without rhyme or reason. Nothing wrong with being patriotic, but not sure why we are tying that patriotism to sporting events.[/quote]

Im being dead serious..if playing a 2 minute national song at a public gathering to celebrate freedom and american pride annoys you, and you look for reasons not to play it, that is not normal. Do you sit when it is played? and if not at sports gatherings, when would you play it? every 4 years at inaugurations? the 4th of july?[/quote]

So we play it before sporting events to celebrate freedom and american pride. OK. Why are we specifically celebrating those things before sporting events? Why not before all kinds of other gatherings -- theater performances, lectures, whatever? More importantly, don't we look to celebrate those things in our everyday, workaday world? What is the tie between the sporting event and patriotism?

And you're way out of line questioning my patriotism for posing a question that few want to address.[/quote]

I'm not questioning your patriotism, I'm asking out loud why the national song annoys you and you question why its being played. If you equate being annoyed with the national song to being unpatriotic, that's on you.[/quote]
You said "if playing a 2 minute national song at a public gathering to celebrate freedom and american pride annoys you, and you look for reasons not to play it, that is not normal. Do you sit when it is played?" That's pretty clear you're questioning my patriotism.

I never said it annoys me -- it doesn't. Like most people I stand and remove my hat, am quiet, all the right things. I've asked a legit question and you want to go off on a tangent. Why is it played before sporting events but not at most any other gathering or event?[/quote]

As if you are actually asking this sincerely (you are not 12 years old, so yeah I don't think your question is 100% "authentic") , at any rate I will try to answer for you. Sporting events are typically larger gatherings than PTA meetings or band booster meetings or cookie drive sales. They are also more unique and focused than going to a 24 plex that is open 7 days a week for a movie.. so, these larger public gatherings to watch and cheer sports are an opportunity to honor those that fought for your right to sit there free and not be killed or the outcome controlled by the State. A Virginia Tech game's result is typically peaceful and not dictated by the government of the united states. People go there to be unified, go there to show pride in their teams and enjoy a peaceful public, "free" gathering. What better place - other than a military post- to play it? As far as all of the strawmen you will bring up- broadway shows, children's plays, neighborhood yard sales, etc. you should go to their reddit board and ask why they don't play the national anthem before their shows/events.
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

133743Hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:It is a legitimate question to ask why the anthem is played before all sporting events. If not for the actions of the past year by Kap, et al, it would be a fairly simple discussion to have with very little acrimony. Today, not so much. But it is a question still worth asking -- why are we beginning sporting events with the national anthem?
WTH?

It's a unifying sentiment. Two teams playing each, but we're all Americans.

The fact that anyone would see the National anthem as a divisive act is just disgusting.
I didn't say it's divisive. I asked why it's played for sporting events. It appears you think that it's played because it is a unifying sentiment -- Americans competing against each other in sporting competitions. Okay.
I wasn't attributing that to you, sorry if it came out that way. Obviously, it's divisive to some given the outrage and kneeling crap.
Mcl3 Hokie

Post by Mcl3 Hokie »

For some reason it won't let me link this article.

http://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/695 ... n-magazine
133743Hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:It is a legitimate question to ask why the anthem is played before all sporting events. If not for the actions of the past year by Kap, et al, it would be a fairly simple discussion to have with very little acrimony. Today, not so much. But it is a question still worth asking -- why are we beginning sporting events with the national anthem?
WTH?

It's a unifying sentiment. Two teams playing each, but we're all Americans.

The fact that anyone would see the National anthem as a divisive act is just disgusting.
I didn't say it's divisive. I asked why it's played for sporting events. It appears you think that it's played because it is a unifying sentiment -- Americans competing against each other in sporting competitions. Okay.
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

awesome guy wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
CFB Apologist wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
CFB Apologist wrote:
133743Hokie wrote: Not sure if you are being serious or sarcastic.

It was started as an act of patriotism decades ago and has blossomed without rhyme or reason. Nothing wrong with being patriotic, but not sure why we are tying that patriotism to sporting events.

Im being dead serious..if playing a 2 minute national song at a public gathering to celebrate freedom and american pride annoys you, and you look for reasons not to play it, that is not normal. Do you sit when it is played? and if not at sports gatherings, when would you play it? every 4 years at inaugurations? the 4th of july?
So we play it before sporting events to celebrate freedom and american pride. OK. Why are we specifically celebrating those things before sporting events? Why not before all kinds of other gatherings -- theater performances, lectures, whatever? More importantly, don't we look to celebrate those things in our everyday, workaday world? What is the tie between the sporting event and patriotism?

And you're way out of line questioning my patriotism for posing a question that few want to address.
I'm not questioning your patriotism, I'm asking out loud why the national song annoys you and you question why its being played. If you equate being annoyed with the national song to being unpatriotic, that's on you.
You said "if playing a 2 minute national song at a public gathering to celebrate freedom and american pride annoys you, and you look for reasons not to play it, that is not normal. Do you sit when it is played?" That's pretty clear you're questioning my patriotism.

I never said it annoys me -- it doesn't. Like most people I stand and remove my hat, am quiet, all the right things. I've asked a legit question and you want to go off on a tangent. Why is it played before sporting events but not at most any other gathering or event?
Because it's one commonality across 60+k people. It sets a tone of civility and respect while honoring our nation and it's people. Only crazy haters see issue with this.
A great vibe, but what the hell does any of that have to do with sports? You still haven't addressed the question.
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

CFB Apologist wrote:Normal, proud Americans don't ask that question.
Not sure if you are being serious or sarcastic.

It was started as an act of patriotism decades ago and has blossomed without rhyme or reason. Nothing wrong with being patriotic, but not sure why we are tying that patriotism to sporting events.[/quote]

Im being dead serious..if playing a 2 minute national song at a public gathering to celebrate freedom and american pride annoys you, and you look for reasons not to play it, that is not normal. Do you sit when it is played? and if not at sports gatherings, when would you play it? every 4 years at inaugurations? the 4th of july?[/quote]

And you're way out of line questioning my patriotism for posing a question that few want to address.[/quote]

I'm not questioning your patriotism, I'm asking out loud why the national song annoys you and you question why its being played. If you equate being annoyed with the national song to being unpatriotic, that's on you.[/quote]

I never said it annoys me -- it doesn't. Like most people I stand and remove my hat, am quiet, all the right things. I've asked a legit question and you want to go off on a tangent. Why is it played before sporting events but not at most any other gathering or event?[/quote]

As if you are actually asking this sincerely (you are not 12 years old, so yeah I don't think your question is 100% "authentic") , at any rate I will try to answer for you. Sporting events are typically larger gatherings than PTA meetings or band booster meetings or cookie drive sales. They are also more unique and focused than going to a 24 plex that is open 7 days a week for a movie.. so, these larger public gatherings to watch and cheer sports are an opportunity to honor those that fought for your right to sit there free and not be killed or the outcome controlled by the State. A Virginia Tech game's result is typically peaceful and not dictated by the government of the united states. People go there to be unified, go there to show pride in their teams and enjoy a peaceful public, "free" gathering. What better place - other than a military post- to play it? As far as all of the strawmen you will bring up- broadway shows, children's plays, neighborhood yard sales, etc. you should go to their reddit board and ask why they don't play the national anthem before their shows/events.[/quote]
This was a 100% "authentic" question with no other motive than to get opinions as to why people think its played at sporting events. I was curious what people thought. But you and a few other "more patriotic than thou" members of this forum can't fathom the question, which I find quite frankly surprising. You can't separate respect ( or disrespect) for the anthem from a reasonable question as to why its played before a game in the first place.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

133743Hokie wrote: A great vibe, but what the hell does any of that have to do with sports? You still haven't addressed the question.
What does throwing a pigskin up and down a field for an hour have to do with anything rational? Why do you get excited seeing that pigskin go between two uprights and high five the stranger standing next to you who's wearing the same color shirt?
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

USN_Hokie wrote:
133743Hokie wrote: A great vibe, but what the hell does any of that have to do with sports? You still haven't addressed the question.
What does throwing a pigskin up and down a field for an hour have to do with anything rational? Why do you get excited seeing that pigskin go between two uprights and high five the stranger standing next to you who's wearing the same color shirt?
My point is, why are you asking people to rationalize a ritual which occurs just before a 25yo black guy wearing silver tights who has "cowboys" painted on his plastic helmet runs past another black guy with "redskins" on his helmet and over an arbitrary line painted on the ground to the cheers of people drinking $8 beers?

Libertarians and atheists in particular like to take this sociopathic robot stance toward tradition and ritual (not saying that's you), and it's really annoying.

I would liken the national anthem to the greeting/peace be with you ritual many churches do, or the vows you say to your spouse. All are meaning(less) for the same reasons depending on the person. A person who doesn't care for his countrymen/congregation/spouse doesn't care for the National Anthem / church greeting / vows.

Its a symbolic demonstration of unity.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

Trump wins. Two scoops for Trump.
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

USN_Hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
My point is, why are you asking people to rationalize a ritual which occurs just before a 25yo black guy wearing silver tights who has "cowboys" painted on his plastic helmet runs past another black guy with "redskins" on his helmet and over an arbitrary line painted on the ground to the cheers of people drinking $8 beers?

Libertarians and atheists in particular like to take this sociopathic robot stance toward tradition and ritual (not saying that's you), and it's really annoying.

I would liken the national anthem to the greeting/peace be with you ritual many churches do, or the vows you say to your spouse. All are meaning(less) for the same reasons depending on the person. A person who doesn't care for his countrymen/congregation/spouse doesn't care for the National Anthem / church greeting / vows.

Again, you completely miss the point of the question. And if you can't grasp the question you can't answer it.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

133743Hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

Again, you completely miss the point of the question. And if you can't grasp the question you can't answer it.
WADR, my point is it's a silly question. The NA is a unifying ritual before a sporting event. Two teams come to compete, but we're all on the same team. Everyone understands this.
HokieJoe
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Eclectic

Post by HokieJoe »

USN_Hokie wrote:Trump wins. Two scoops for Trump.

:lol:

Idiots.
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

USN_Hokie wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

WADR, my point is it's a silly question. The NA is a unifying ritual before a sporting event. Two teams come to compete, but we're all on the same team. Everyone understands this.
But why does that "unifying ritual" occur only before sporting events? Why not other gatherings? What makes sporting events so special? And if they aren't special, then why then but not at other events? THAT's the question that no one will (or can) answer.
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

133743Hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

But why does that "unifying ritual" occur only before sporting events? Why not other gatherings? What makes sporting events so special? And if they aren't special, then why then but not at other events? THAT's the question that no one will (or can) answer.
The very question threatens some on here. I don't know why.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
Mcl3 Hokie

Post by Mcl3 Hokie »

Did you read the article I posted? It answers your question.
133743Hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

Mcl3 Hokie wrote:Did you read the article I posted? It answers your question.
The ESPN NFL article? Yes I did. And it didn't answer the question at all. It addressed the NFLs position on why we (and the players) should respect the anthem, and I agree. But that isn't the issue I'm raising. Again, why is the anthem played at a football game to start with?

it's not about how one should act or behave when the anthem is played at a sporting event, but why it is played at the sporting event at all. Why are sports "special" in this way over other gatherings?
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
133743Hokie wrote: But why does that "unifying ritual" occur only before sporting events? Why not other gatherings? What makes sporting events so special? And if they aren't special, then why then but not at other events? THAT's the question that no one will (or can) answer.

I don't think the question threatens anyone on here. I just think they are confusing "why we respect the anthem and how we should act when it is played" with my question which is "why is it played at all before sporting events and not other gatherings".
CFB Apologist

Post by CFB Apologist »

133743Hokie wrote:
The ESPN NFL article? Yes I did. And it didn't answer the question at all. It addressed the NFLs position on why we (and the players) should respect the anthem, and I agree. But that isn't the issue I'm raising. Again, why is the anthem played at a football game to start with?

it's not about how one should act or behave when the anthem is played at a sporting event, but why it is played at the sporting event at all. Why are sports "special" in this way over other gatherings?
OK- let's take it one by one.. the board could use the traffic. I'm serious- let's go...

1. Why isn't the national anthem played before an age 8-10 girls soccer game in Montana? - your thoughts? let's analyze it, figure it out, then move to the next example.. shouldn't take long to cherry pick them all. Why do you think the Montana girls league doesn't play the anthem before girls 8-10 games?
CFB Apologist

Post by CFB Apologist »

[/quote]

Its a symbolic demonstration of unity.[/quote]
Again, you completely miss the point of the question. And if you can't grasp the question you can't answer it.[/quote]

WADR, my point is it's a silly question. The NA is a unifying ritual before a sporting event. Two teams come to compete, but we're all on the same team. Everyone understands this.[/quote]
But why does that "unifying ritual" occur only before sporting events? Why not other gatherings? What makes sporting events so special? And if they aren't special, then why then but not at other events? THAT's the question that no one will (or can) answer.[/quote]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote]

The national anthem is annoying to you.. I don't know why.
CFB Apologist

Post by CFB Apologist »

133743Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
133743Hokie wrote: But why does that "unifying ritual" occur only before sporting events? Why not other gatherings? What makes sporting events so special? And if they aren't special, then why then but not at other events? THAT's the question that no one will (or can) answer.

I don't think the question threatens anyone on here. I just think they are confusing "why we respect the anthem and how we should act when it is played" with my question which is "why is it played at all before sporting events and not other gatherings".
Please list the "gatherings" one by one and let's discuss them/analyze them
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

133743Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:

For some that is true.

Some properly understand the question, and it aggravates them to give thought to it. I do not understand the source of the aggravation.

With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

CFB Apologist wrote:

Its a symbolic demonstration of unity.[/quote]
Again, you completely miss the point of the question. And if you can't grasp the question you can't answer it.[/quote]

WADR, my point is it's a silly question. The NA is a unifying ritual before a sporting event. Two teams come to compete, but we're all on the same team. Everyone understands this.[/quote]
But why does that "unifying ritual" occur only before sporting events? Why not other gatherings? What makes sporting events so special? And if they aren't special, then why then but not at other events? THAT's the question that no one will (or can) answer.[/quote]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote]

The national anthem is annoying to you.. I don't know why.[/quote]

Nope. The Pledge is a bit weird to me though.

ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

CFB Apologist wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:

OK- let's take it one by one.. the board could use the traffic. I'm serious- let's go...

1. Why isn't the national anthem played before an age 8-10 girls soccer game in Montana? - your thoughts? let's analyze it, figure it out, then move to the next example.. shouldn't take long to cherry pick them all. Why do you think the Montana girls league doesn't play the anthem before girls 8-10 games?
I honestly don't know. Why don't they?

USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

CFB Apologist wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:

Please list the "gatherings" one by one and let's discuss them/analyze them
Yeah, his argument assumes a false premise that it's only done before professional sporting events.

Hell, the resort my family goes to every year raises the flag and does the national anthem every morning before breakfast. Aka "nazism" according to IP.
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

CFB Apologist wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:

I'll play your snarky game. It isn't played before an 8-10 year old girls soccer game in Montana because no one cares. You may not like that answer, but that's my opinion. No one gives it a thought; no one cares one way or another; and most would think it was pretty ridiculous, if not stupid, to do so.

So now, you get to try and answer my question -- again. And it isn't "why do we play the national anthem?", and it isn't "why do we do what we do to show respect when the anthem is played?". Those are all understood and accepted almost universally. It's "why do we play the anthem before professional sporting events?". What makes that setting special, unique, the one that warrants this treatment?