Anybody concerned Tillerson is on the way out.

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
HokieFanDC

Re: Anybody concerned Tillerson is on the way out.

Post by HokieFanDC »

USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
Without leadership in key areas, who is supposed to push our foreign policy? Assuming we have an actual foreign policy, which may be debatable, it is the job of the diplomats to push those policies and work with other countries to push our priorities and agenda. Without those people in place, that doesn't happen.
The State department works to promote America's interests all over the world. Not filling those posts make that job a lot more difficult, in some cases impossible.

On your second point, how many of those gapped billets are commander/captain positions. Those are the positions that are not being filled, not rank and file positions.
1. "Without leadership in key areas, who is supposed to push our foreign policy?"

WTF? C'mon, this is self-licking ice cream cone platitudes.

2. All the time.

You're trying to imply that there's some State Dept Office of Transgender Eskimo Underwear Gnome Research which is going to steer into the rocks without some political appointee hack at the helm. That's ludicrous.

You didn't answer either of my questions, and you made up a really terrific strawman. Good work.
Your first question was rhetorical bullshirt. My entire premise is that we're not missing leadership in key areas, or that your/their definition of key areas (note that you still haven't defined or given me an example) is silly.

I did give you an answer - "all the time."
Right, we're back to you not seeing it as a problem, which doesn't mean it isn't. Your response that it is bullshirt, or silly, is just your opinion. Got it. My opinion is that you're wrong, and don't know what the state department does. You want a key area? How about Saudi Arabia, Germany, and South Korea.

And "all the time", isn't an answer to "how many". Most likely it means you don't have an answer.
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

HokieFanDC wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
1. "Without leadership in key areas, who is supposed to push our foreign policy?"

WTF? C'mon, this is self-licking ice cream cone platitudes.

2. All the time.

You're trying to imply that there's some State Dept Office of Transgender Eskimo Underwear Gnome Research which is going to steer into the rocks without some political appointee hack at the helm. That's ludicrous.

You didn't answer either of my questions, and you made up a really terrific strawman. Good work.
Your first question was rhetorical bullshirt. My entire premise is that we're not missing leadership in key areas, or that your/their definition of key areas (note that you still haven't defined or given me an example) is silly.

Right, we're back to you not seeing it as a problem, which doesn't mean it isn't. Your response that it is bullshirt, or silly, is just your opinion. Got it. My opinion is that you're wrong, and don't know what the state department does. You want a key area? How about Saudi Arabia, Germany, and South Korea.

And "all the time", isn't an answer to "how many". Most likely it means you don't have an answer.
1. You appear to be the one who doesn't understand what the State Department does, considering you can't explain in any more detail than "Bad things are gonna happen!!!!!!!!!!!" if we don't appoint some bullshirt political appointee to a post.

2. Sorry, I don't work at BUPERS. Your question is stupid if you were expecting me to know precisely how many gapped O5/O6 billets exist right now.
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

HokieFanDC wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:70,000 employees
70 freakin thousand
Yeh, we know.
And? Does that seem necessary?
So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

RiverguyVT wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
70 freakin thousand
Yeh, we know.
If you cut it to 69,999 DC assures us that MAD is soon to follow.
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:

1. You appear to be the one who doesn't understand what the State Department does, considering you can't explain in any more detail than "Bad things are gonna happen!!!!!!!!!!!" if we don't appoint some bullshirt political appointee to a post.

2. Sorry, I don't work at BUPERS. Your question is stupid if you were expecting me to know precisely how many gapped O5/O6 billets exist right now.
I said that we couldn't implement our foreign policy. You're the one who responded with nonsense. Your response indicates that you don't know that the state department leads our foreign policy, or you just don't think our foreign policy is important. Personally, I think it's important to have good trade deals and to work with foreign governments to improve our economic position. It's fine if you don't.

As for the gapped billets, I didn't expect you to know the answer. It just points out that your use of gapped billets as a response to a question about vacant captain/commander slots, was meaningless.
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

RiverguyVT wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
70 freakin thousand
Yeh, we know.
I already said that it wasn't.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

HokieFanDC wrote: I said that we couldn't implement our foreign policy. You're the one who responded with nonsense. Your response indicates that you don't know that the state department leads our foreign policy, or you just don't think our foreign policy is important. Personally, I think it's important to have good trade deals and to work with foreign governments to improve our economic position. It's fine if you don't.

As for the gapped billets, I didn't expect you to know the answer. It just points out that your use of gapped billets as a response to a question about vacant captain/commander slots, was meaningless.
1. "couldn't implement our foreign policy." Really insightful. Is this missing foreign policy something like Austin Power's missing mojo, or is it at a website link which returns a 404 error until some rich donor is confirmed by the Senate? These political appointees are starting to sound like they have magic, you might be on to something DC.

2. How many times do you want me to tell you this happens all the time? I feel like you're asking me the same question over and over hoping to get an answer that you can twist into an "ah ha!" gotcha.
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote: I said that we couldn't implement our foreign policy. You're the one who responded with nonsense. Your response indicates that you don't know that the state department leads our foreign policy, or you just don't think our foreign policy is important. Personally, I think it's important to have good trade deals and to work with foreign governments to improve our economic position. It's fine if you don't.

1. "couldn't implement our foreign policy." Really insightful. Is this missing foreign policy something like Austin Power's missing mojo, or is it at a website link which returns a 404 error until some rich donor is confirmed by the Senate? These political appointees are starting to sound like they have magic, you might be on to something DC.

2. How many times do you want me to tell you this happens all the time? I feel like you're asking me the same question over and over hoping to get an answer that you can twist into an "ah ha!" gotcha.
Out of the 200 ambassador positions, about 20 or 30 are appointments. Most are career FS. You really have no idea what you are taking about. You just want to blow off steam about the generic bloated government. That's fine. But you need to pick your spots.
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

133743Hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

Out of the 200 ambassador positions, about 20 or 30 are appointments. Most are career FS. You really have no idea what you are taking about. You just want to blow off steam about the generic bloated government. That's fine. But you need to pick your spots.
You’ll find most conservatives are like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

133743Hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

I haven't pretended to be an expert anywhere in this thread, thanks. On the contrary, DC apparently is, even though he can't give me an answer better/more specific than "foreign policy!!!!" when I ask him. Doesn't take an expert to see through that BS.

That's my problem with the article. I see lots of bureaucratic self-licking ice cream cones complaining about how the world is going to end because (prepare for Office Space reference) their TPS reports will be missing a signature block. I said it a dozen posts back in this purse fight - give me a single specific example of something going wrong because of innaction/vacancies and I'll either concede the point or we'll have something observable which we can debate the merits of. So far..... *crickets*
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

You’ll find most conservatives are like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now's your chance, IP:

https://www.indeed.com/q-Pizza-Ambassador-jobs.html
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

USN_Hokie wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

I haven't pretended to be an expert anywhere in this thread, thanks. On the contrary, DC apparently is, even though he can't give me an answer better/more specific than "foreign policy!!!!" when I ask him. Doesn't take an expert to see through that BS.

That's my problem with the article. I see lots of bureaucratic self-licking ice cream cones complaining about how the world is going to end because (prepare for Office Space reference) their TPS reports will be missing a signature block. I said it a dozen posts back in this purse fight - give me a single specific example of something going wrong because of innaction/vacancies and I'll either concede the point or we'll have something observable which we can debate the merits of. So far..... *crickets*
Your request for a specific example of "something going wrong" is a bit silly. The issues that the State Dept. deal with don't have immediate consequences like a poorly manned and trained bunch of sailors running ships into each other.

If you want an example, look up "Korea passing" and how that's impacted our relationship with S Korea. That could have been avoided simply by having a SK ambassador in place. When we don't have someone in place, in country, that is seen as someone who carries the authority of the US govt., when that country is involved in trade deals, or business deals, they would usually include the US rep. With no one there, they just move on without them, and structure deals without our input. That can be harmful.

And don't act like you're going to concede a point, you started the thread with wanted to "make it hurt". Your opinion is already clear and obvious.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

HokieFanDC wrote: Your request for a specific example of "something going wrong" is a bit silly.
You said things were lacking, it's completely legitimate to ask you for something empirical to back that up.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

HokieFanDC wrote: If you want an example, look up "Korea passing" and how that's impacted our relationship with S Korea. That could have been avoided simply by having a SK ambassador in place.
That's a really bad example. 1. Not a new issue. 2. There is an (interim) ambassador: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_ ... outh_Korea
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote: If you want an example, look up "Korea passing" and how that's impacted our relationship with S Korea. That could have been avoided simply by having a SK ambassador in place.
That's a really bad example. 1. Not a new issue. 2. There is an (interim) ambassador: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_ ... outh_Korea
Blah, blah, blah. It's new, in that it started with this administration. An interim ambassador is not even close to the same as an ambassador, in terms of influence.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

HokieFanDC wrote: And don't act like you're going to concede a point, you started the thread with wanted to "make it hurt". Your opinion is already clear and obvious.
Don't confuse hurting with inability to do the job. Two different things kiddo.

Go tell a GS11 in (pick a federal department) that you're taking away his/her Bluetooth headset and they'll tell you how it's the end of the world.

It should hurt. They can still do the job. I still love your idea of de-scoping the State Department to UK levels. Good stuff.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

HokieFanDC wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
Blah, blah, blah. It's new, in that it started with this administration. An interim ambassador is not even close to the same as an ambassador, in terms of influence.
Nope

....and your favorite resource Google tells me that he can do almost everything a true ambassador can.
HokieJoe
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Eclectic

Post by HokieJoe »

JFC @this thread. Tillerson isn't on the way out. And yes, the State Department budget needs to be cut. We need to erase every bit of additional bloat that occurred while Odumbo was in office. And that's just to start.
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
Nope

....and your favorite resource Google tells me that he can do almost everything a true ambassador can.
Can you ever get anything right??

You seem to have left off a portion of that chart.....probably on purpose, but I'll leave it open to you not knowing what you're doing.
You know the part that you left out, the part that shows the spike in 2017 from the lack of communication with the US, during escalating NK activity.

As for the ambassador, "almost" is still important. The guy put in on a temporary basis doesn't have the same INFLUENCE (caps this time, since you missed that the first time) that the POTUS appointed, Senate confirmed actual ambassador. He's a seat warmer. No one makes deals with seat warmers, because they don't speak for the POTUS or the US.

This has been fun. What have we learned?

We've learned that you hate the State Dept., and aren't sure why, but you're sure it's full of worthless hacks.
We've learned that I think the State Dept. has a lot of people, and that it can almost certainly use downsizing.
You seem to agree (although you don't seem to have actually gotten that message based on our standard Cap'n BS, FOS snarky post about 69,999 ppl), but while I think it's important to make cuts with some actual forethought and planning, you're cool with just lopping out wherever it's convenient, and the more the better.

Anything else you'd like to add?

HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

HokieJoe wrote:JFC @this thread. Tillerson isn't on the way out. And yes, the State Department budget needs to be cut. We need to erase every bit of additional bloat that occurred while Odumbo was in office. And that's just to start.
Agree for the most part, although the cuts need to go further back than Obama. We're above $50B today, and have been between $20B and $45B for the 20 years prior to Obama, and above $50B since Obama. A good start would be getting below $40B, and then lower if possible.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

HokieFanDC wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
Nope

Can you ever get anything right??

You seem to have left off a portion of that chart.....probably on purpose, but I'll leave it open to you not knowing what you're doing.
You know the part that you left out, the part that shows the spike in 2017 from the lack of communication with the US, during escalating NK activity.

As for the ambassador, "almost" is still important. The guy put in on a temporary basis doesn't have the same INFLUENCE (caps this time, since you missed that the first time) that the POTUS appointed, Senate confirmed actual ambassador. He's a seat warmer. No one makes deals with seat warmers, because they don't speak for the POTUS or the US.

This has been fun. What have we learned?

We've learned that you hate the State Dept., and aren't sure why, but you're sure it's full of worthless hacks.
We've learned that I think the State Dept. has a lot of people, and that it can almost certainly use downsizing.
You seem to agree (although you don't seem to have actually gotten that message based on our standard Cap'n BS, FOS snarky post about 69,999 ppl), but while I think it's important to make cuts with some actual forethought and planning, you're cool with just lopping out wherever it's convenient, and the more the better.

Anything else you'd like to add?
LOL, I posted a screen cap you dunderhead. Nothing is cut off / edited, you're just looking at the wrong country, Poindexter. :lol: All your chart tells me is that DC parrots all the bullshirt he hears on CNN.

In summary - not new, and not an issue outside of DC's liberal echo chamber.

The rest is just silly. All this pouting from DC because of the difference between an Acting Ambassador vs. Ambassador. :lol:

I forgot it's a football day, when DC mysteriously gets belligerent....
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

HokieFanDC wrote:
HokieJoe wrote:JFC @this thread. Tillerson isn't on the way out. And yes, the State Department budget needs to be cut. We need to erase every bit of additional bloat that occurred while Odumbo was in office. And that's just to start.
Agree for the most part, although the cuts need to go further back than Obama. We're above $50B today, and have been between $20B and $45B for the 20 years prior to Obama, and above $50B since Obama. A good start would be getting below $40B, and then lower if possible.
This is hilarious. You've been gobsmacked at my suggestion that the State Department needs painful budget cuts, then you pretend to support a 20% cut to their budget at the end of the thread. I'm pretty sure every career bureaucrat in the State Department would consider a 20% budget cut the end of the world....
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

Those TPS Report signature blocks are critical!!!!
So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
This is hilarious. You've been gobsmacked at my suggestion that the State Department needs painful budget cuts, then you pretend to support a 20% cut to their budget at the end of the thread. I'm pretty sure every career bureaucrat in the State Department would consider a 20% budget cut the end of the world....
Yes, hilarious, you're making up shirt again, or you're just too dense to get it.
Nowhere have I said that cutting the state dept. isn't a good idea. And I have no issue with cutting a lot of it.
Not sure why that's so hard for you to understand. I'm gobsmacked at your continuous misstatement of what I've said numerous times.

Cutting the dept. by 20% doesn't have to be painful if you're cutting the 20% (or whatever the right number is) that is duplicative bloat. It is painful if you make cuts without figuring out what positions are important, which are not, and laying out a plan to cut the latter, and fill the former.

That's my issue, plain and simple. You're the one who, in your typical fashion, can't understand that and continues to make up arguments based on your lack of comprehension.
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

HokieFanDC wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
Yes, hilarious, you're making up shirt again, or you're just too dense to get it.
Nowhere have I said that cutting the state dept. isn't a good idea. And I have no issue with cutting a lot of it.
Not sure why that's so hard for you to understand. I'm gobsmacked at your continuous misstatement of what I've said numerous times.

Cutting the dept. by 20% doesn't have to be painful if you're cutting the 20% (or whatever the right number is) that is duplicative bloat. It is painful if you make cuts without figuring out what positions are important, which are not, and laying out a plan to cut the latter, and fill the former.

That's my issue, plain and simple. You're the one who, in your typical fashion, can't understand that and continues to make up arguments based on your lack of comprehension.
Is the point in the purse fight where you claim to actually have the opposite position you've argued against the entire time?
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.