NFL backs off statement to stand for Anthem

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
Techmomof2
Alma Mater: Penn State

NFL backs off statement to stand for Anthem

Post by Techmomof2 »

I'll bet there are plenty of players out there who respect our Flag and Country who would like the opportunity to earn millions. Express your political views on your own time or better yet, do something with your money and time that will really better the lives of kids in the inner city.

https://www.allenwest.com/2017/10/11/le ... ng-uproar/

Apparently, many NFL players are not going to take an order from the NFL to stand for the national anthem lying down.

"I don't think guys are gonna like it," McCoy said, when asked about the possible reaction from players. "I think it's gonna be an uproar if that is to happen because you're basically taking away a constitutional right to freedom of speech. If guys wanna have a, I guess you would call it a peaceful protest, I don't think it's right to take that away."
Vienna_Hokie
Alma Mater: VT
Party: libertarian

Re: NFL backs off statement to stand for Anthem

Post by Vienna_Hokie »

Techmomof2 wrote:I'll bet there are plenty of players out there who respect our Flag and Country who would like the opportunity to earn millions. Express your political views on your own time or better yet, do something with your money and time that will really better the lives of kids in the inner city.

Apparently, many NFL players are not going to take an order from the NFL to stand for the national anthem lying down.

"I don't think guys are gonna like it," McCoy said, when asked about the possible reaction from players. "I think it's gonna be an uproar if that is to happen because you're basically taking away a constitutional right to freedom of speech. If guys wanna have a, I guess you would call it a peaceful protest, I don't think it's right to take that away."
Just once I would like one of these idiots to show an understanding of the first amendment. No one is arresting you for taking a knee or telling whatever lie you want to make up about being a slave and being innocent victims of evil white people. You are employees and your employer has the right to restrict what you say if it impacts their pocket. You don't like their rules, go work somewhere else.
Looks like the only thing 1984 got wrong was the date.
Techmomof2
Alma Mater: Penn State

Post by Techmomof2 »

Vienna_Hokie wrote:
Techmomof2 wrote:I'll bet there are plenty of players out there who respect our Flag and Country who would like the opportunity to earn millions. Express your political views on your own time or better yet, do something with your money and time that will really better the lives of kids in the inner city.

Just once I would like one of these idiots to show an understanding of the first amendment. No one is arresting you for taking a knee or telling whatever lie you want to make up about being a slave and being innocent victims of evil white people. You are employees and your employer has the right to restrict what you say if it impacts their pocket. You don't like their rules, go work somewhere else.
I wish their employers understood that. The mostly blue-collar workers who buy season tickets understand it and owners and players will feel it soon.
Vienna_Hokie
Alma Mater: VT
Party: libertarian

Post by Vienna_Hokie »

Techmomof2 wrote:
Vienna_Hokie wrote:

I wish their employers understood that. The mostly blue-collar workers who buy season tickets understand it and owners and players will feel it soon.
They do understand it, they just don't believe the fans will stay away and they are terrified of offending the players who are making a big deal of it. They will continue to cower until the fans stop feeding them and stay away.
Looks like the only thing 1984 got wrong was the date.
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

Vienna_Hokie wrote: They do understand it, they just don't believe the fans will stay away and they are terrified of offending the players who are making a big deal of it. They will continue to cower until the fans stop feeding them and stay away.
They're in a hard spot where they can't do anything without offending someone. Maybe the fallout from this will be a lesson to other companies that they should avoid anything remotely political.