Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
ElbertoHokie
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Independent

A VT MA grad student and english instructor is an avowed

Post by ElbertoHokie »

white supremacist. He posted on Facebook as much.

NOW...where do you all stand? Let's say this pisses VT off, does and should VT fire him for disagreeing with a position he publicly announced? Is it an academic responsibility to accept all who work and study there?

This is an interesting interesection of many different hot topics on UWS. Businesses right to do what they want, racism, and it involves a white male.
Mcl3 Hokie

Re: A VT MA grad student and english instructor is an avowed

Post by Mcl3 Hokie »

VT can fire him if the posts are inflammatory. I have zero problem with that.
ElbertoHokie wrote:white supremacist. He posted on Facebook as much.

NOW...where do you all stand? Let's say this pisses VT off, does and should VT fire him for disagreeing with a position he publicly announced? Is it an academic responsibility to accept all who work and study there?

This is an interesting interesection of many different hot topics on UWS. Businesses right to do what they want, racism, and it involves a white male.
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Post by Major Kong »

VT is a gubment business so I'm pretty sure there is a fine line to walk.

If it was up to me he'd be at least removed from his instructor position.
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

What are his posts saying? Are they undermining his ability to teach at VT? Do they impact his ability to do the job? Do they put the university in a bad light?
houtexhokie

Post by houtexhokie »

IF he is a Christian Fundie I say .... fire his ass .....else he has every right to stay/

NEXT>>>>
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

Can we define what a "white supremacist" is here? After all, there are some people who think standing for the National Anthem is white supremacy.

Liberals have so overused these terms to try and slander everyone they hate that they no longer mean anything.
nolanvt
Alma Mater: Marshall Univ.

Post by nolanvt »

USN_Hokie wrote:Can we define what a "white supremacist" is here? After all, there are some people who think standing for the National Anthem is white supremacy.

Liberals have so overused these terms to try and slander everyone they hate that they no longer mean anything.
The guy saying he is a white supremacist should give a strong indication that he is a white supremacist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fully vaccinated, still not dead
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

nolanvt wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:Can we define what a "white supremacist" is here? After all, there are some people who think standing for the National Anthem is white supremacy.

The guy saying he is a white supremacist should give a strong indication that he is a white supremacist.

Nope. ElbertoHokie's post is still an interpretation.

BTW...I'm sure it exists, but I've never heard of someone claiming to be a "white supremacist". Usually, it would be some other group which others classify as being a supremacist group...the bar for which would be pretty low on a college campus - particularly the liberal arts community.
nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

USN_Hokie wrote:
nolanvt wrote:

BTW...I'm sure it exists, but I've never heard of someone claiming to be a "white supremacist". Usually, it would be some other group which others classify as being a supremacist group...the bar for which would be pretty low on a college campus - particularly the liberal arts community.
https://medium.com/@gradstudentalumsvt/ ... 432b0ab635

USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

nolanvt wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
nolanvt wrote:

https://medium.com/@gradstudentalumsvt/ ... 432b0ab635

OK, thanks. That didn't give me exactly what I was looking for, but I was able to find it using this. Elberto's characterization is correct. This guy looks like another Richard Spencer.

I think that if you fire him (which could be warranted) based on his political opinions, it would raise legitimate questions (to folks interested in thinking critically) about other groups (BLM, Black Panthers, LA Raza, etc.) which his views are in parallel to.
CFB Apologist

Post by CFB Apologist »

Since you guys claim that white men that have good jobs, play golf, go to church and are married are "white supremacist", I hope VT reviews this carefully. That term and "nazi" are so irresponsibility thrown around now, I hope VT follows their comprehensive HR policy and doesn't take your word for it
nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

CFB's made-up rantings are one of the things I'm thankful for as we approach Thanksgiving season.

CFB Apologist

Post by CFB Apologist »

nolanvt wrote:CFB's made-up rantings are one of the things I'm thankful for as we approach Thanksgiving season.

You being annoyed at the US national anthem, defending a radical like kaepernick and saying gays should get preferred treatment in the NFL is awesome during this season too. We love you on this board
nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

CFB Apologist wrote:
nolanvt wrote:CFB's made-up rantings are one of the things I'm thankful for as we approach Thanksgiving season.

You being annoyed at the US national anthem, defending a radical like kaepernick and saying gays should get preferred treatment in the NFL is awesome during this season too. We love you on this board
0 for 3. Better luck next time. [emoji106]

CFB Apologist

Post by CFB Apologist »

nolanvt wrote:
CFB Apologist wrote:

Don't give me semantic bullshit Floho Jr.. you have argued to simply stop playing the anthem before games to placate kaepernick and his radical pals. You have questioned why the anthem is played at sporting events. You have lied time again that teams only started coming out for the anthem in 2009, etc. don't give me semantic bullshit - own up to your support for kaepernick
nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

CFB Apologist wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
CFB Apologist wrote:

Don't give me semantic bullshit Floho Jr.. you have argued to simply stop playing the anthem before games to placate kaepernick and his radical pals. You have questioned why the anthem is played at sporting events. You have lied time again that teams only started coming out for the anthem in 2009, etc. don't give me semantic bullshit - own up to your support for kaepernick
Good job, good effort. You'll have better days. [emoji106]

awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

Diversity
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

Diversity
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.