Volokh has an interesting piece relating to Elberto's thread

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Volokh has an interesting piece relating to Elberto's thread

Post by USN_Hokie »

I'll post it separately so as to not confuse things. Basically, a gay grad student says he doesn't care for Islam to a another woman who is engaged to a Muslim man...hilarity ensues.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/ ... niversity/
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Re: Volokh has an interesting piece relating to Elberto's th

Post by Major Kong »

I like Volokh...I get his newsletter everyday.
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

miles

Post by miles »

Am reminded of that old limerick, completely and utterly socially and politically incorrect in today's environment:

"I once knew a q---- from Khartoum
who took a les---- up to his room.
They argued all night
over who had the right
to do what, and with which, and to whom."
CFB Apologist

Post by CFB Apologist »

WTF is this?? Seriously what am I missing here? Islam has blasphemy laws in the United States now? When did this happen? Really, WTF is this article? Is it real? This dude could get "disciplined" from his college for stating the truth that there are Muslim nations that kill gays? Really? This is in the United States?? So what would this university do if an asshole in a bar shouted "you effing Jew" ??? Or criticized the Bible? Is that blasphemy? Would that be punished? wTF is this?? I HAVE to be missing something
miles

Post by miles »

CFB Apologist wrote:WTF is this?? Seriously what am I missing here? Islam has blasphemy laws in the United States now? When did this happen? Really, WTF is this article? Is it real? This dude could get "disciplined" from his college for stating the truth that there are Muslim nations that kill gays? Really? This is in the United States?? So what would this university do if an asshole in a bar shouted "you effing Jew" ??? Or criticized the Bible? Is that blasphemy? Would that be punished? wTF is this?? I HAVE to be missing something
Read George Orwell's Animal Farm.
HokieJoe
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Eclectic

Post by HokieJoe »

ALFRED MACDONALD: And this is over … I thought that UTSA was a public university with first amendment protections? So I could be dismissed for stuff like that? Just …

EVE BROWNING: Making derogatory comments? Yes.
How f'ing ridiculous. I'd tell her that should her publically funded university continue down this path that she and the USTA are going to have one whale of a PR and litigation nightmare on their hands.

And BTW, the same thing needs to occur with all university speech codes (including gays, women, minority and political speech codes) .
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson