Restaurant tries to mix politics into

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
133743Hokie

Re: Restaurant tries to mix politics into

Post by 133743Hokie »

CFB Apologist wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:I think many were still coming in from their taligate or in line for food and a beer.
UpstateSCHokie wrote:Also not a good idea to mix politics with professional sports. And how will the "cord cutter" excuse explain the empty seats?

==============================================

Backlash: Week 6 of the NFL Reveals Several Nearly Empty Stadiums As Fans Continue to Leave the League
by Dylan Gwinn16 Oct 20172,624

The NFL likely hoped for a return to normalcy for Week 6, especially after Commissioner Goodell’s call to “move past the anthem controversy,” and address the issue in detail at league meetings on Tuesday. Instead, what the NFL got was a return to what has become the “new normal” in the age of anthem protests: empty seats.

Throughout the league, stadiums could be seen with thousands of empty seats at kickoff, and, in some cases in the middle of the game.

Here is a pic with several empty, or near empty stadiums at kickoff on Sunday:
Note, that the Jets played New England on Sunday, meaning there should have been a big crowd for that game. The Texans, Atlanta, and Baltimore are also very relevant teams with relatively loyal fan bases. Yet, thousands upon thousands of fans no-showed or didn’t buy tickets for those games.

Here’s a shot of the Jaguars stadium at kickoff:
Granted, this is Jacksonville and they’ve never really packed the house. Yet, even by Jaguars standards, that’s empty. The fact that those same levels of emptiness can be seen at other stadiums throughout the league, means that the fan backlash against the NFL has now turned everyone into Jacksonville.

That’s a problem.

http://www.breitbart.com/sports/2017/10 ... ve-league/
Also proud Americans like yourself, BG, IP and Nolan who get annoyed at the Anthem played before the game.. probably a lot of fans waiting for that "noise" to be played first, and don't want to hear it so they come in late.
And where do you get me being annoyed at the anthem being played?
CFB Apologist

Post by CFB Apologist »

133743Hokie wrote:
CFB Apologist wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:I think many were still coming in from their taligate or in line for food and a beer.
UpstateSCHokie wrote:Also not a good idea to mix politics with professional sports. And how will the "cord cutter" excuse explain the empty seats?

Backlash: Week 6 of the NFL Reveals Several Nearly Empty Stadiums As Fans Continue to Leave the League

The NFL likely hoped for a return to normalcy for Week 6, especially after Commissioner Goodell’s call to “move past the anthem controversy,” and address the issue in detail at league meetings on Tuesday. Instead, what the NFL got was a return to what has become the “new normal” in the age of anthem protests: empty seats.

Throughout the league, stadiums could be seen with thousands of empty seats at kickoff, and, in some cases in the middle of the game.

Note, that the Jets played New England on Sunday, meaning there should have been a big crowd for that game. The Texans, Atlanta, and Baltimore are also very relevant teams with relatively loyal fan bases. Yet, thousands upon thousands of fans no-showed or didn’t buy tickets for those games.

Granted, this is Jacksonville and they’ve never really packed the house. Yet, even by Jaguars standards, that’s empty. The fact that those same levels of emptiness can be seen at other stadiums throughout the league, means that the fan backlash against the NFL has now turned everyone into Jacksonville.

That’s a problem.

Also proud Americans like yourself, BG, IP and Nolan who get annoyed at the Anthem played before the game.. probably a lot of fans waiting for that "noise" to be played first, and don't want to hear it so they come in late.
Sorry.. annoyed might not be the right word... how would you describe questioning why it was played at all? supporting teams that kneel for it or stay in the locker room, and why it is not played at other types of events? what would you call that? I called that being annoyed with it.
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

CFB Apologist wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
CFB Apologist wrote:

That’s a problem.

Sorry.. annoyed might not be the right word... how would you describe questioning why it was played at all? supporting teams that kneel for it or stay in the locker room, and why it is not played at other types of events? what would you call that? I called that being annoyed with it.
You left out the poster who actually raised the question. But he's on your team.
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

CFB Apologist wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
CFB Apologist wrote:

That’s a problem.

I call it asking a legitimate question for discussion as I was curious as to why the anthem was played before sporting events but at few other gatherings of people. When I did so I had no idea of the firestorm it would create among a few on here; quite frankly I was stunned. The outrage, the more-patriotic-than-thou responses, those considering me an anthem hater and unpatriotic. WTF? I asked a question, curious as to what people thought the reason(s) were and got nothing but outrage. I guess this is what we have devolved into -- people can't even have a legitimate, serious conversation without some fringe reaction.
nolanvt
Alma Mater: Marshall Univ.

Post by nolanvt »

133743Hokie wrote:
CFB Apologist wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
CFB Apologist wrote:

That’s a problem.

I call it asking a legitimate question for discussion as I was curious as to why the anthem was played before sporting events but at few other gatherings of people. When I did so I had no idea of the firestorm it would create among a few on here; quite frankly I was stunned. The outrage, the more-patriotic-than-thou responses, those considering me an anthem hater and unpatriotic. WTF? I asked a question, curious as to what people thought the reason(s) were and got nothing but outrage. I guess this is what we have devolved into -- people can't even have a legitimate, serious conversation without some fringe reaction.
CFB is an insecure fellow when asking your question elicits the response it did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fully vaccinated, still not dead
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

nolanvt wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
CFB Apologist wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
CFB Apologist wrote:
CFB is an insecure fellow when asking your question elicits the response it did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pop quiz, what's the context of this thread?
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.