CBS earning estimates lowered based on NFL's "success"

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
TheH2

Re: CBS earning estimates lowered based on NFL's

Post by TheH2 »

HokieFanDC wrote:
What part of this is a downward trend? 2016 revenue was $13B and 2017 revenue will top $14B. UWS is a special place where multiple people will argue that this is failing.

You're right, UWS is a special place. I'm not surprised by USN, that's his MO. But I'm actually shocked by the number of people defending it.
People who know, know.
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Re: CBS earning estimates lowered based on NFL's "success"

Post by awesome guy »

HokieFanDC wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
I understand that they will have a new contract. I’m not sure how much less it’s going to be, or that ratings will continue to fall. People still like going to football games and watching them on TV. New stadiums that produce more revenue are being built. That will increase revenue. NFL merchandise sales are still strong. And even if broadcast revenues drop, that certainly doesn’t mean the end of football. When that happens, they restructure contracts, players take pay cuts, and they move on.

We get it. You guys love seeing football struggle. That’s bizarre, but IIWIi.
Stating obvious facts somehow or another translates to an emotional desire to glow in their demise. That's bizarre, but what makes UWS special. The new LA teams have attendance rivaling Texas high school football games. Las Vegas won't fare much better. But hey, it's all a great success! No one at the networks will flinch, just another day of gravy.

Outside of LA, ticket sales are doing fine, 90% of capacity. The Rams and Chargers have been awful and the stadiums they’re playing in aren’t NFL quality.
As for your facts, you stated that the NFL is in a downward trend. From a revenue perspective, that’s false. There’s a lot more to the revenue stream than year over year ratings.
It’s the continued posting of the things that aren’t working in the nfL and the bashing of the NFL and it’s players that show an emotional desire for their failure.
Uh huh. You'll see when contracts are renewed, it's hilarious seeing you guys thinking ratings are independent from revenue.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

TheH2 wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
What part of this is a downward trend? 2016 revenue was $13B and 2017 revenue will top $14B. UWS is a special place where multiple people will argue that this is failing.

You're right, UWS is a special place. I'm not surprised by USN, that's his MO. But I'm actually shocked by the number of people defending it.
Not shocked that you two angry people took on a petty and irrational argument as contrarians.
TheH2

Post by TheH2 »

awesome guy wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
I understand that they will have a new contract. I’m not sure how much less it’s going to be, or that ratings will continue to fall. People still like going to football games and watching them on TV. New stadiums that produce more revenue are being built. That will increase revenue. NFL merchandise sales are still strong. And even if broadcast revenues drop, that certainly doesn’t mean the end of football. When that happens, they restructure contracts, players take pay cuts, and they move on.

Stating obvious facts somehow or another translates to an emotional desire to glow in their demise. That's bizarre, but what makes UWS special. The new LA teams have attendance rivaling Texas high school football games. Las Vegas won't fare much better. But hey, it's all a great success! No one at the networks will flinch, just another day of gravy.

Outside of LA, ticket sales are doing fine, 90% of capacity. The Rams and Chargers have been awful and the stadiums they’re playing in aren’t NFL quality.
As for your facts, you stated that the NFL is in a downward trend. From a revenue perspective, that’s false. There’s a lot more to the revenue stream than year over year ratings.
It’s the continued posting of the things that aren’t working in the nfL and the bashing of the NFL and it’s players that show an emotional desire for their failure.
Uh huh. You'll see when contracts are renewed, it's hilarious seeing you guys thinking ratings are independent from revenue.
It's hilarious you think anyone is making that argument.
People who know, know.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

TheH2 wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:

Sad that you can't see that you are.
TheH2

Post by TheH2 »

awesome guy wrote:
TheH2 wrote: It's hilarious you think anyone is making that argument.
Feel free to show where.
People who know, know.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

TheH2 wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
Feel free to show where.
Look at the snarky revenue graph DC provided and you chimed in on. Or when you said the 2017 contract was up. I'm sure you'll have another dimwitted yet hilarious denial about that.
TheH2

Post by TheH2 »

awesome guy wrote:
TheH2 wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
Feel free to show where.
Look at the snarky revenue graph DC provided and you chimed in on. Or when you said the 2017 contract was up. I'm sure you'll have another dimwitted yet hilarious denial about that.
The "snarky" graph includes TV revenue, therefore it is dependent, not independent of TV. So, please, another try?

Or, the networks paid 39.6 billion in 2014 to broadcast the NFL for 9 years. That's about $4.4 billion a year. That's a given. That's in the revenue figure that DC provided, and in the revenue figure that determines the salary cap, which I sited. No one claimed it was independent. If 2016 revenue was 13 billion it is about 1/3 (given your history I thought I'd do a rough calculation). I'm not sure how anyone would look at total revenue and think it was independent of the revenue streams, or even make that argument. That's terrible comprehension.
People who know, know.
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

awesome guy wrote:
TheH2 wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:

No one is making that argument.

"I understand that they will have a new contract. I’m not sure how much less it’s going to be, or that ratings will continue to fall. "

Maybe you don't understand that sentence, but it means that I'm not convinced that the new contract is going to be a major departure from the current one. You are convinced...that's your opinion. But, I'm pretty sure everyone here agrees that ratings will impact broadcast revenue.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

TheH2 wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
TheH2 wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
Feel free to show where.
The "snarky" graph includes TV revenue, therefore it is dependent, not independent of TV. So, please, another try?

Or, the networks paid 39.6 billion in 2014 to broadcast the NFL for 9 years. That's about $4.4 billion a year. That's a given. That's in the revenue figure that DC provided, and in the revenue figure that determines the salary cap, which I sited. No one claimed it was independent. If 2016 revenue was 13 billion it is about 1/3 (given your history I thought I'd do a rough calculation). I'm not sure how anyone would look at total revenue and think it was independent of the revenue streams, or even make that argument. That's terrible comprehension.
Posted as trend dopey.
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

TheH2 wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:

...2017 revenue forecast is based on ads bought before the season. I'm not surprised to see DC white knighting for H2, but you guys can't be this dense.

I'm going to start calling H2 mini-krugman (or...Krugmini?)
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

USN_Hokie wrote:
TheH2 wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:

...2017 revenue forecast is based on ads bought before the season. I'm not surprised to see DC white knighting for H2, but you guys can't be this dense.

They are unfortunately that dense.
TheH2

Post by TheH2 »

USN_Hokie wrote:
TheH2 wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:

It's humorous that in a topic where you tell me to grow up you once again attempt to insult and add nothing. The TV contract was signed before the 2014 season, revenues are growing yearly.

What's stupid is thinking an asset is failing because the purchaser of an asset overpaid for it. Sadly that's too complicated for you to understand.
People who know, know.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

TheH2 wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
TheH2 wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:

It's humorous that in a topic where you tell me to grow up you once again attempt to insult and add nothing. The TV contract was signed before the 2014 season, revenues are growing yearly.

What's stupid is thinking an asset is failing because the purchaser of an asset overpaid for it. Sadly that's too complicated for you to understand.
I predict this will become another multi-year source of butt ache for you as the NFL shrinks and you hold on that's it's still winning.
HokieJoe
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Eclectic

Post by HokieJoe »

:lol:

In this thread, some people pretend that mixing business and politics is a winning formula. They'll use hockey stick charts to make those inane arguments while refusing to see the writing on the wall. Were I a team owner, and they were in my employee and proffering such arguments, I would terminate them for making irrelevant and wholly incompetent arguments.

That said, I imagine many people people, just like them, litter NFL front offices. Therefore, I expect business as unusual.
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

TheH2 wrote:
What's stupid is pretending the NFL isn't failing because they committed seppuku after ad buys were made for the regular season and pretending the same networks will pay more next season. It's cute watching you try to weasel yourself out of the retarded position you made for yourself while hurling insults at the same time. You're the message board equivalent of a monkey throwing poop.

But go ahead, regale us with your savant day trader prowess once you're done replacing the toner in the secretary's copier. :mrgreen:
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

awesome guy wrote:
TheH2 wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
TheH2 wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:

I predict this will become another multi-year source of butt ache for you as the NFL shrinks and you hold on that's it's still winning.
He'll do what every liberal does when faced with the embarrassing realization of the foolish position he's talking himself into - stop posting here (or, pick a new alias). That's what Uprising and ManBearPig did. Liberals are driven by emotion which leads them to say stupid crap. Rather than take responsibility for their positions / actions, they run away (or ask government to bail them out of poor life choices).
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

USN_Hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
TheH2 wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
TheH2 wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:

He'll do what every liberal does when faced with the embarrassing realization of the foolish position he's talking himself into - stop posting here (or, pick a new alias). That's what Uprising and ManBearPig did. Liberals are driven by emotion which leads them to say stupid crap. Rather than take responsibility for their positions / actions, they run away (or ask government to bail them out of poor life choices).
Nah, he's the whinning asshole type of liberal, like FloHo. It'll ooze into other threads, insisting he's really right all along.
TheH2

Post by TheH2 »

USN_Hokie wrote:
TheH2 wrote:
What's stupid is pretending the NFL isn't failing because they committed seppuku after ad buys were made for the regular season and pretending the same networks will pay more next season.

No one is pretending they will pay more. They paid for 9 years in 2014. That's why the revenue increase since 2014 matters. Maybe you should educate yourself, then form an opinion.
USN_Hokie wrote:It's cute watching you try to weasel yourself out of the retarded position you made for yourself while hurling insults at the same time. You're the message board equivalent of a monkey throwing poop.
Given "the same networks will pay more next season" it's pretty clear you have no clue what you're talking about. Please educate yourself. Don't consider it an insult to actually read about topics before having an opinion.
USN_Hokie wrote:But go ahead, regale us with your savant day trader prowess once you're done replacing the toner in the secretary's copier. :mrgreen:
We hire people that are capable of changing a toner. Are you not capable? Do you call someone when toner is low? Seriously, take your own advice and grow up. Your lame insults about my career should embarrass you.
People who know, know.
TheH2

Post by TheH2 »

USN_Hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
TheH2 wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
TheH2 wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:

I've stopped posting here for periods of time. Mainly because posters think they are so right and hurl insults when they have no clue what they are talking about. Makes for pointless discussion.

Case in point:
What's stupid is pretending the NFL isn't failing because they committed seppuku after ad buys were made for the regular season and pretending the same networks will pay more next season.

I've never had another screen name.
People who know, know.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

TheH2 wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
TheH2 wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
TheH2 wrote: You're right, UWS is a special place. I'm not surprised by USN, that's his MO. But I'm actually shocked by the number of people defending it.

I've stopped posting here for periods of time. Mainly because posters think they are so right and hurl insults when they have no clue what they are talking about. Makes for pointless discussion.

Case in point:

I've never had another screen name.
Psychologists call that projection. Sad how you can't see that you described yourself.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

TheH2 wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
TheH2 wrote:

No one is pretending they will pay more. They paid for 9 years in 2014. That's why the revenue increase since 2014 matters. Maybe you should educate yourself, then form an opinion.
USN_Hokie wrote:It's cute watching you try to weasel yourself out of the retarded position you made for yourself while hurling insults at the same time. You're the message board equivalent of a monkey throwing poop.
Given "the same networks will pay more next season" it's pretty clear you have no clue what you're talking about. Please educate yourself. Don't consider it an insult to actually read about topics before having an opinion.
USN_Hokie wrote:But go ahead, regale us with your savant day trader prowess once you're done replacing the toner in the secretary's copier. :mrgreen:
We hire people that are capable of changing a toner. Are you not capable? Do you call someone when toner is low? Seriously, take your own advice and grow up. Your lame insults about my career should embarrass you.
1. Go ahead and post the network contracts if you want to have a debate. Contracts get renegotiated all the time - if you think the networks are going to continue paying out the arse to broadcast a bunch of barely literate millionaires berate the country, think again.

2. WADR, you think like a poor person. If you provide good value to your company, they have better uses of your time than menial tasks.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

TheH2 wrote: I've stopped posting here for periods of time. Mainly because posters think they are so right and hurl insults when they have no clue what they are talking about. Makes for pointless discussion.
You are describing yourself, congratulations. This might be a good time for a little introspection.
TheH2

Post by TheH2 »

awesome guy wrote:Psychologists call that projection. Sad how you can't see that you described yourself.
I'm not the one thinking networks establish new contracts every year. I'm not the one that thinks only one person took a knee last year. Etc, etc, etc.
People who know, know.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

TheH2 wrote:
awesome guy wrote:Psychologists call that projection. Sad how you can't see that you described yourself.
I'm not the one thinking networks establish new contracts every year. I'm not the one that thinks only one person took a knee last year. Etc, etc, etc.
You're the one thinking they're winning and the ratings decline won't affect future contracts. It's hilarious given your bombastic nature.