Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
TheH2

Re: CBS earning estimates lowered based on NFL's

Post by TheH2 »

awesome guy wrote:
TheH2 wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
TheH2 wrote: Let me say this again. In 2017, the salary cap, which is a formula based on league revenue, increased by 7.7%. That's quite the downward trajectory.
Pre-kneeling data. Just admit that you're wrong and move along. At least stop digging.
2016 revenue - post kneeling data. Any other reasons why I'm wrong?
It was 1 kneeler then, not every team as is happening now which has every revenue metric down. Stop being an idiot on this.
More than 1.
https://www.si.com/nfl/2016/09/11/natio ... ayers-list

Maybe you should read a little more from the publications you put down and you may be capable of a logical thought in a few years.
People who know, know.
Mcl3 Hokie

Post by Mcl3 Hokie »

Isn't that the gif where Obama was making a joke about Trump saying he was the worst president ever and then Obama said "At least I was President" and dropped the mic. Kind of an ironic gif to use for this discussion seeing the Obama was wrong.

As for your example of the salary cap increase, you do realize that was based on contract signed before the Kaeperdick initiated kneeling debacle. I don't think the TV executives anticipated a drop in viewership when they inked the current deal. I wonder how much LOWER it would be negotiated today based on the LOWER ratings.

TheH2 wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
TheH2 wrote:
HokieJoe wrote:
TheH2 wrote:
HokieJoe wrote:Unqualified my ass. Apple and the NFL are not analogous. At all.
Not sure what your @$$ has to do with it. It's just a simple unqualified question. Is the NFL failing? Not, is the NFL TV rating declining.

Relative to past performance? Yes, they are failing.
I agree, relative to last year. That wasn't the statement. I have never disputed that.
HokieJoe wrote:Viewers are fickle like that. Moreover, the NFL doesn't have product cycles like Apple. The NFL is an entertainment enterprise, and their performers have chosen to hijack the NFL owners stage to make a political statement. That, among other issues, is starting to hurt their advertising revenue.
In regards to Apple, it was the first annual decrease in revenue. So it wasn't just product cycle.

Saying that the NFL is failing is like saying Alabama is failing because they are beating opponents by less. The NFL is still #1, by far. Nothing is close to touching it.
LOL, come on. They have less viewers and more empty seats. You're full retard on this, they're on a downward trajectory and will continue till making changes. Guess will have to wait for The Atlantic to post an article saying so much as you seem to rely on memorization of articles instead of critical thinking to form arguments.
Let me say this again. In 2017, the salary cap, which is a formula based on league revenue, increased by 7.7%. That's quite the downward trajectory.
Last edited by Mcl3 Hokie on Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Re: CBS earning estimates lowered based on NFL's "success"

Post by awesome guy »

TheH2 wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
TheH2 wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
TheH2 wrote: Let me say this again. In 2017, the salary cap, which is a formula based on league revenue, increased by 7.7%. That's quite the downward trajectory.
Pre-kneeling data. Just admit that you're wrong and move along. At least stop digging.
It was 1 kneeler then, not every team as is happening now which has every revenue metric down. Stop being an idiot on this.
More than 1.

Maybe you should read a little more from the publications you put down and you may be capable of a logical thought in a few years.
Haha. You're insufferable. No wonder they stuff you in the IT closet at work.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
TheH2

Post by TheH2 »

cwtcr hokie wrote: that is because it is based on the tv contracts that were signed before the ratings started going down. Thus why ESPN is having the issues it has and CBS has to lower earnings est. The tv contracts written by the networks were based on the ratings continuing to increase and thus they could price the ad buys higher. That is not happening so they have not been able to increase ad buys or even get all the advertising sold from what I have read. That is why both pro and college ball are going to have some cutting to do in the coming years as the tv contracts will not continue their upward trajectory
The TV contract was set in 2014, for 9 years. Yes, pretty much everything is seeing decreasing TV ratings. Are they all failing? I would agree that the next TV contract might not be quite as lucrative.
People who know, know.
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

awesome guy wrote:
TheH2 wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
TheH2 wrote:
HokieJoe wrote:

I agree, relative to last year. That wasn't the statement. I have never disputed that.
HokieJoe wrote:Viewers are fickle like that. Moreover, the NFL doesn't have product cycles like Apple. The NFL is an entertainment enterprise, and their performers have chosen to hijack the NFL owners stage to make a political statement. That, among other issues, is starting to hurt their advertising revenue.
In regards to Apple, it was the first annual decrease in revenue. So it wasn't just product cycle.

Saying that the NFL is failing is like saying Alabama is failing because they are beating opponents by less. The NFL is still #1, by far. Nothing is close to touching it.
LOL, come on. They have less viewers and more empty seats. You're full retard on this, they're on a downward trajectory and will continue till making changes. Guess will have to wait for The Atlantic to post an article saying so much as you seem to rely on memorization of articles instead of critical thinking to form arguments.
Let me say this again. In 2017, the salary cap, which is a formula based on league revenue, increased by 7.7%. That's quite the downward trajectory.
What part of this is a downward trend? 2016 revenue was $13B and 2017 revenue will top $14B. UWS is a special place where multiple people will argue that this is failing.

TheH2

Post by TheH2 »

awesome guy wrote:
TheH2 wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
TheH2 wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
More than 1.

Responding to your incorrect comments makes me insufferable? If someone I considered an idiot kept rebutting my points with facts I'd probably find them insufferable too. However, that seems like a you problem, not a me problem. I'll be sure not to respond to you anymore so I'm not so "insufferable". Please carry on with the insults .
People who know, know.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

HokieFanDC wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
TheH2 wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
TheH2 wrote:
HokieJoe wrote:

What part of this is a downward trend? 2016 revenue was $13B and 2017 revenue will top $14B. UWS is a special place where multiple people will argue that this is failing.

Multiyear contracts. I'll mark you down as another that doesn't understand how the next contract will shrink with ratings.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

TheH2 wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
TheH2 wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
TheH2 wrote:
awesome guy wrote:Pre-kneeling data. Just admit that you're wrong and move along. At least stop digging.
More than 1.

Responding to your incorrect comments makes me insufferable? If someone I considered an idiot kept rebutting my points with facts I'd probably find them insufferable too. However, that seems like a you problem, not a me problem. I'll be sure not to respond to you anymore so I'm not so "insufferable". Please carry on with the insults .
1 vs. a handful, the point of it being small remains. And you miss that as you're reading to argue instead of thinking. Oh well.
CFB Apologist

Post by CFB Apologist »

TheH2 wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
TheH2 wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
More than 1.

LOL- NFL TV ratings are literally down by every metric vs. last year and years prior.- Countless data points have been given. CBS, ESPN, the NFL have confirmed this.. your mouthbreathing response? "nope, not true".. LOL
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

CFB Apologist wrote:
TheH2 wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
TheH2 wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
More than 1.

LOL- NFL TV ratings are literally down by every metric vs. last year and years prior.- Countless data points have been given. CBS, ESPN, the NFL have confirmed this.. your mouthbreathing response? "nope, not true".. LOL
Their nitpicking level of argument shows how weak and defeated their main argument is. All metrics are down? That's not failure, it's success! Haha

ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

awesome guy wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
TheH2 wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
TheH2 wrote: I agree, relative to last year. That wasn't the statement. I have never disputed that.

Multiyear contracts. I'll mark you down as another that doesn't understand how the next contract will shrink with ratings.
The discussion is stupid, but I would take that bet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
TheH2 wrote:
awesome guy wrote:LOL, come on. They have less viewers and more empty seats. You're full retard on this, they're on a downward trajectory and will continue till making changes. Guess will have to wait for The Atlantic to post an article saying so much as you seem to rely on memorization of articles instead of critical thinking to form arguments.

That the tailing indicator of contracts don't shrink with viewership?
TheH2

Post by TheH2 »

CFB Apologist wrote: LOL- NFL TV ratings are literally down by every metric vs. last year and years prior.- Countless data points have been given. CBS, ESPN, the NFL have confirmed this.. your mouthbreathing response? "nope, not true".. LOL
The same was said last year and the salary cap increased by almost 8 percent. So my response isn't nope, not true, my response is, ratings were downs last year and league revenue was up. Furthermore, I'm the one providing the ratings.

The NFL isn't failing. It's the #1 sport, it dwarfs everything else on TV. A regular game gets big ratings, a big game gets huge ratings.
People who know, know.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

TheH2 wrote:
CFB Apologist wrote: LOL- NFL TV ratings are literally down by every metric vs. last year and years prior.- Countless data points have been given. CBS, ESPN, the NFL have confirmed this.. your mouthbreathing response? "nope, not true".. LOL
The same was said last year and the salary cap increased by almost 8 percent. So my response isn't nope, not true, my response is, ratings were downs last year and league revenue was up. Furthermore, I'm the one providing the ratings.

The NFL isn't failing. It's the #1 sport, it dwarfs everything else on TV. A regular game gets big ratings, a big game gets huge ratings.
Uh huh. It's going to continue all past glory while alienating 70% of it's fan base. Baseball is the same, all up and still America's sport like in the Babe Ruth era.

The world has people that can only relate to what has happened and a handful that can see what is going to happen. It's clear your a hindsighter. Foresight requires critical thinking skills.
CFB Apologist

Post by CFB Apologist »

TheH2 wrote:

I guess they didn't get across to in 6th grade debate class.. TV ratings ARE down- that is a fact. If you agree with that, great- we can move to your next point... which is "the NFL is not failing".. OK- is anyone arguing that those two things are the same? TV ratings and league health? Is ANYONE arguing those are one in the same? No, they are not.. so for you to continue to use the second point to refute the first is annoying bullshit. But please, carry on.
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

awesome guy wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
awesome guy wrote:

That the tailing indicator of contracts don't shrink with viewership?
Add what fox, NBC, CBS,and ABC and other parties are paying now vs. what all parties will be paying in their new TV/media rights contract. I think the future number will be higher.

And I don't dispute that the sport is declining slightly at the moment.

With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
Add what fox, NBC, CBS,and ABC and other parties are paying now vs. what all parties will be paying in their new TV/media rights contract. I think the future number will be higher.

I don't see how, the networks are being downgraded over low numbers. That'll trickle into the next contract.
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

awesome guy wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:

I don't see how, the networks are being downgraded over low numbers. That'll trickle into the next contract.
They always overpay. It's the #1 show in town, and 10% of the viewing audience is a lot harder to come by now than it was 20 years ago when there were three choices.

It'll just be Amazon and Netflix overpaying next time.
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

awesome guy wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
TheH2 wrote:

Image[/quote]Multiyear contracts. I'll mark you down as another that doesn't understand how the next contract will shrink with ratings.[/quote]

I understand that they will have a new contract. I’m not sure how much less it’s going to be, or that ratings will continue to fall. People still like going to football games and watching them on TV. New stadiums that produce more revenue are being built. That will increase revenue. NFL merchandise sales are still strong. And even if broadcast revenues drop, that certainly doesn’t mean the end of football. When that happens, they restructure contracts, players take pay cuts, and they move on.

We get it. You guys love seeing football struggle. That’s bizarre, but IIWIi.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

HokieFanDC wrote:
I understand that they will have a new contract. I’m not sure how much less it’s going to be, or that ratings will continue to fall. People still like going to football games and watching them on TV. New stadiums that produce more revenue are being built. That will increase revenue. NFL merchandise sales are still strong. And even if broadcast revenues drop, that certainly doesn’t mean the end of football. When that happens, they restructure contracts, players take pay cuts, and they move on.

Stating obvious facts somehow or another translates to an emotional desire to glow in their demise. That's bizarre, but what makes UWS special. The new LA teams have attendance rivaling Texas high school football games. Las Vegas won't fare much better. But hey, it's all a great success! No one at the networks will flinch, just another day of gravy.

ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

awesome guy wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:

Stating obvious facts somehow or another translates to an emotional desire to glow in their demise. That's bizarre, but what makes UWS special. The new LA teams have attendance rivaling Texas high school football games. Las Vegas won't fare much better. But hey, it's all a great success! No one at the networks will flinch, just another day of gravy.

Agree regarding the California thing. The NFL took away the one franchise in California that their fans actually liked. They should be embarrassed, among other things, by the half-empty kickball stadium in Carson.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

HokieFanDC wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
TheH2 wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
TheH2 wrote:
HokieJoe wrote:

Again for the slow, those revenue figures are based off tv contracts signed years ago that had no mechanism in them for falling ratings, thus why cbs and espn are taking it on the chin right now and not the nfl.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

cwtcr hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
TheH2 wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
TheH2 wrote: I agree, relative to last year. That wasn't the statement. I have never disputed that.

Again for the slow, those revenue figures are based off tv contracts signed years ago that had no mechanism in them for falling ratings, thus why cbs and espn are taking it on the chin right now and not the nfl.
But snarky snipping!
TheH2

Post by TheH2 »

CFB Apologist wrote:
TheH2 wrote:

I guess they didn't get across to in 6th grade debate class.. TV ratings ARE down- that is a fact. If you agree with that, great- we can move to your next point... which is "the NFL is not failing"..
So much attitude.
USN made the claim that the NFL is failing. Not that TV ratings were down, just that they are failing. I've brought up several metrics and provided a lot of information. It isn't just about ratings.
CFB Apologist wrote: OK- is anyone arguing that those two things are the same? TV ratings and league health? Is ANYONE arguing those are one in the same? No, they are not.. so for you to continue to use the second point to refute the first is annoying bullshit. But please, carry on.
Yes, that is the primary reason. "Look at TV ratings." "Compare to last year." I've provided context against other sports, other shows, and pretty much anything on TV. Finally, I looked at overall league revenue.

Simple question, do you think the NFL is failing? If so, why? Please explain with grown up logic and facts. If you don't think it is failing you have an odd way of agreeing with me.
People who know, know.
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

awesome guy wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:

Outside of LA, ticket sales are doing fine, 90% of capacity. The Rams and Chargers have been awful and the stadiums they’re playing in aren’t NFL quality.
As for your facts, you stated that the NFL is in a downward trend. From a revenue perspective, that’s false. There’s a lot more to the revenue stream than year over year ratings.
It’s the continued posting of the things that aren’t working in the nfL and the bashing of the NFL and it’s players that show an emotional desire for their failure.