Say good bye to your business...dip wads.

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Re: Say good bye to your business...dip wads.

Post by Major Kong »

awesome guy wrote:Yep. I doubt they turned into screaming racist at the sight of a jew. They likely got into argument over something (likely started by the jew, goaded into being an asshole by his camera) and that's how they trash talked him as it's all they knew.
Oh I can very much believe it.

Like I wrote originally I used to stop in there when I was in Damascus but over the last year they've really become weird (even for SWVA).

It used to be a nice little quaint place to stop in for a beer and tacos then the whole "atmosphere" changed. The guys, especially Joe, became SOBs and it turned into more of a grit dive you'd see in Haysi or Hurley (and yeah I'm an expert at grit dives). I just didn't feel comfortable in there after my last visit with my nephew.
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

Major Kong wrote:
awesome guy wrote:Yep. I doubt they turned into screaming racist at the sight of a jew. They likely got into argument over something (likely started by the jew, goaded into being an asshole by his camera) and that's how they trash talked him as it's all they knew.
Oh I can very much believe it.

Like I wrote originally I used to stop in there when I was in Damascus but over the last year they've really become weird (even for SWVA).

It used to be a nice little quaint place to stop in for a beer and tacos then the whole "atmosphere" changed. The guys, especially Joe, became SOBs and it turned into more of a grit dive you'd see in Haysi or Hurley (and yeah I'm an expert at grit dives). I just didn't feel comfortable in there after my last visit with my nephew.
It turned into a klan rally?
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
Major Kong

Post by Major Kong »

awesome guy wrote:It turned into a klan rally?
I didn't want to come out and say it but yeah pretty much...just a full 180°.

For a place that was originally opened to appeal to the hiking trail and bike route crowd it certainly went away from that in the last year.

Like I wrote earlier they had announced they were closing for good at the end of next week, this may hasten that by a few days.

awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

Major Kong wrote:

For a place that was originally opened to appeal to the hiking trail and bike route crowd it certainly went away from that in the last year.

Like I wrote earlier they had announced they were closing for good at the end of next week, this may hasten that by a few days.
They were openly racist? I have a hard time understanding how that looks in 2017.
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

Major Kong wrote:

They looked like the SWVA version of Tuco Salamanca.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

awesome guy wrote:
Major Kong wrote:

They were openly racist? I have a hard time understanding how that looks in 2017.

Well, it can look like a couple of meth-heads in the southside Va apparently.
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
Major Kong

Post by Major Kong »

awesome guy wrote:They were openly racist? I have a hard time understanding how that looks in 2017.
Just come on down to this area and stay for a while. It's not as bad as it used to be but it still has a ways to go.

It hasn't been too many years ago that the family business suffered a backlash because Dad hired a young lady at our deli who as black. People would call up and order but ask that the ni**er not prepare the food...we'd refuse the order. She stayed with us until we sold out the business and the new owner closed the deli.

She was telling us how her sister works at Wal*Mart in Marion and folks wouldn't come thru her lane because she was black.

My nephew's wife's mother is Panamanian and she grew up in Chilhowie and she can tell you some crazy stuff that happened to her growing up...but got better as she got older.

Saltville was the worse in Smyth County...it was like stepping back in time when my folks moved there...I'd come and visit and I was like damn. I never noticed it when visiting my grandparents. After growing up in Varina, attending college at Ferrum and VT, and then living down in Johnson City after school I couldn't believe what I'd see and hear.

THEN came the big culture shock and living and working in Buchanan County...all I can say at that time was damn.

awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

Major Kong wrote:
awesome guy wrote:They were openly racist? I have a hard time understanding how that looks in 2017.
Just come on down to this area and stay for a while. It's not as bad as it used to be but it still has a ways to go.

It hasn't been too many years ago that the family business suffered a backlash because Dad hired a young lady at our deli who as black. People would call up and order but ask that the ni**er not prepare the food...we'd refuse the order. She stayed with us until we sold out the business and the new owner closed the deli.

She was telling us how her sister works at Wal*Mart in Marion and folks wouldn't come thru her lane because she was black.

My nephew's wife's mother is Panamanian and she grew up in Chilhowie and she can tell you some crazy stuff that happened to her growing up...but got better as she got older.

Saltville was the worse in Smyth County...it was like stepping back in time when my folks moved there...I'd come and visit and I was like damn. I never noticed it when visiting my grandparents. After growing up in Varina, attending college at Ferrum and VT, and then living down in Johnson City after school I couldn't believe what I'd see and hear.

THEN came the big culture shock and living and working in Buchanan County...all I can say at that time was damn.
That's sad. Had no idea it's like that. Out here it's the opposite of blacks crying racism at the drop of a hat. They'll run from the cops as they're smoking a joint and then claim harassment based on race. It's ridiculous, they think they're in SWVA!
Major Kong

Post by Major Kong »

awesome guy wrote:That's sad. Had no idea it's like that. Out here it's the opposite of blacks crying racism at the drop of a hat. They'll run from the cops as they're smoking a joint and then claim harassment based on race. It's ridiculous, they think they're in SWVA!
Wytheville, Abingdon and Marion are much better than they were even 30 years ago. Along I-81, US11, US58, U19, US23 and even now US460 isn't bad at all. Even Grundy and Vansant have greatly improved.

Get off the beaten path however and it's still the 1950's in some cases. I'd call it ignorance and bigotry more than anything else.

Case in point. My grandniece is 15½ years old but until her trip to C'ville for brain surgery her exposure to people of color (not just black) 3 years ago was very limited...she never even saw a black person until she was 6 years old and went with me & Dad to Asheville, NC on a dog food run for our stores.

We were eating in a Shoney's in Asheville when she looked at me and asked why the little girl sitting at the table next to us was black. She blurted it out so I took the opportunity to introduce my grandniece and the little girl (her name was Tanya) to each other and they shared a Shoney's coloring mat. :) How do you explain the differences in people when the only people you've ever known are just like themselves :?: You show them that everybody is just like everybody else. :mrgreen:

RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

That’s nice I suppose. Should we boycott all Damascus restaurants, or just the particular assholes who sell tacos.

It’s irresponsible to post that without calling out the restaurant, IMO.

HokieJoe
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Eclectic

Post by HokieJoe »

Major Kong wrote:
HokieJoe wrote:Idiot scumbags. My guess is that: a) there's some history here with the customer in question; b) neither of these two are native Damascans.
A) First time he'd ever stopped there
B) Correct...they're both from Nashville originally

Thnx.
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
That’s nice I suppose. Should we boycott all Damascus restaurants, or just the particular assholes who sell tacos.

well I doubt he gave them a raving yelp review. But if the guys were closing that is when you never want to go to a restaurant as they are selling out stock and don't give a darn, good way to get food poisoning
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

cwtcr hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:

well I doubt he gave them a raving yelp review. But if the guys were closing that is when you never want to go to a restaurant as they are selling out stock and don't give a darn, good way to get food poisoning
I bet if you sold tacos anywhere along the AT, you’d appreciate a bit more specificity.

RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

ip_law-hokie wrote:

I hear ya.
It looks like some had a similar comment and outed them.
So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.
Major Kong

Post by Major Kong »

FTR the brothers are being held w/o bond at the Abingdon Regional Jail...they were arrested by the Town of Damascus PD and Hey Joe's has been closed.

USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

Major Kong wrote:FTR the brothers are being held w/o bond at the Abingdon Regional Jail...they were arrested by the Town of Damascus PD and Hey Joe's has been closed.
......for?
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

USN_Hokie wrote:
Major Kong wrote:FTR the brothers are being held w/o bond at the Abingdon Regional Jail...they were arrested by the Town of Damascus PD and Hey Joe's has been closed.
......for?
I would guess assault and battery.

cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
......for?
I would guess assault and battery.

my guess would be bad meth or drunk in public
Major Kong

Post by Major Kong »

HokieJoe wrote:
Major Kong wrote:
HokieJoe wrote:Idiot scumbags. My guess is that: a) there's some history here with the customer in question; b) neither of these two are native Damascans.
A) First time he'd ever stopped there
B) Correct...they're both from Nashville originally

Thnx.
I was wrong:
A) He had been there before
B) Charlotte originally

I've linked the local story below.
Last edited by Major Kong on Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Major Kong

Post by Major Kong »

Here is the story from the Bristol Herald Courier
It seems as though Joe's was a candy store too...there is more to the story too.
Statement from the Damascus Police Department

October 23, 2017
For immediate release;

On October 23, 2017 at approximately 12:30pm a man came into the Damascus Police Department and reported that he had been in an altercation with the staff of Hey Joe’s restaurant in the town of Damascus. According to the alleged victim, a verbal altercation took place that spilled out into the street on South Shady Ave, where the man recorded the remainder of the incident using his cell phone. At that point one of the suspects is heard on the video making anti-Semitic statements toward the alleged victim, while the other suspect appears to strike at the alleged victim.

As a result of the incident, the Damascus Police Department charged Joseph E. Killian, age 33, of Damascus, with Disorderly Conduct and Assault and Battery, both class 1 misdemeanors.
Henry Oscar Killian II, age 35, of Damascus, was also charged with Disorderly Conduct.
Both men are being held without bond at the Abingdon Regional Jail.

Thank you,
Mike Hounshell
Chief – Damascus Police Department
Message from the Mayor Jack McCrady
October 24, 2017

Seems like our wonderful Town has yet again been placed under the scrutiny of bad press. As with most issues, there is controversy. For those who viewed the hideous anti-Semitic video, nothing can justify the statements, it certainly doesn't represent our community. The individual assaulted isn't completely innocent of any wrong doing either. By his own admission, he went there in an attempt to purchase illegal drugs, the transaction soured inside the business and then spilled out into the streets, resulting in the videoed portion of the altercation. The victim didn't press charges, but instead chose to vent on social media. The Town has pressed charges, and the two men from the business are being held in the regional jail without bond. Nothing can justify the hideous statements made by those involved. This behavior does not represent Damascus or our citizens. The business was due to permanently close at the end of the month, but due to current circumstances is now closed.

USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

ip_law-hokie wrote:

I bet their lawyers told them not to single out a business in their press release. It's always a safe bet to blame the lawyers....
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

USN_Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:

I bet their lawyers told them not to single out a business in their press release. It's always a safe bet to blame the lawyers....
the story gets better as more comes out, the guy that was called out by the brothers knew them for awhile and was at the taco place to buy mary jane.... and somehow the drug deal it appears went badly....So which crime is worse?

The guy trying to buy drugs, the idiots selling or the idiots going off on the guy? For me it goes back to if you are involved in a criminal act... things may go sideways and issues arise... duh
Major Kong

Post by Major Kong »

cwtcr hokie wrote:the story gets better as more comes out, the guy that was called out by the brothers knew them for awhile and was at the taco place to buy mary jane.... and somehow the drug deal it appears went badly....So which crime is worse?

The guy trying to buy drugs, the idiots selling or the idiots going off on the guy? For me it goes back to if you are involved in a criminal act... things may go sideways and issues arise... duh
Now the story has entered the even more bizarre phase than that.

Mr. Johnston (the video guy) and the Mayor of the town are going at it on social media.

Johnston says he wasn't trying to buy marywanna from Joe and his brother he was just asking where he could get some.

Another guy who said he owned a business very close to Hey Joe's...said it had become a drug den, the whole town knew it, including the police but never did anything about it.

Damascus was one of the towns (along with Chilhowie, Saltville, Glade Spring) that had their PD's busted for all sorts of crap, including drugs just a few years ago.

awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

Major Kong wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:the story gets better as more comes out, the guy that was called out by the brothers knew them for awhile and was at the taco place to buy mary jane.... and somehow the drug deal it appears went badly....So which crime is worse?

Now the story has entered the even more bizarre phase than that.

Mr. Johnston (the video guy) and the Mayor of the town are going at it on social media.

Johnston says he wasn't trying to buy marywanna from Joe and his brother he was just asking where he could get some.

Another guy who said he owned a business very close to Hey Joe's...said it had become a drug den, the whole town knew it, including the police but never did anything about it.

Damascus was one of the towns (along with Chilhowie, Saltville, Glade Spring) that had their PD's busted for all sorts of crap, including drugs just a few years ago.
So I was right! They were fighting over something else and called him a jew as a zinger more so than a random racial outburst.