Should Bob McNair be forced to sell the Texans?

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
Vienna_Hokie
Alma Mater: VT
Party: libertarian

Re: Should Bob McNair be forced to sell the Texans?

Post by Vienna_Hokie »

nolanvt wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
nolanvt wrote:McNair met with the team this morning and reiterated his poor choice of words. Good on him to hold himself accountable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Accountable for what? Using a common phrase with no racial meaning?
If he felt he didn’t err, he wouldn’t have apologized. I’ll agree that he botched the saying - it’s asylum and not prison. I can see how inserting prison in there instead can be interpreted as more racial.

In any event, I think it’s best for everyone to move on at this point. The apology should cut it.

It's inmates running the prison and lunatics running the asylum.
Looks like the only thing 1984 got wrong was the date.
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

Vienna_Hokie wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
nolanvt wrote:McNair met with the team this morning and reiterated his poor choice of words. Good on him to hold himself accountable.

Accountable for what? Using a common phrase with no racial meaning?
If he felt he didn’t err, he wouldn’t have apologized. I’ll agree that he botched the saying - it’s asylum and not prison. I can see how inserting prison in there instead can be interpreted as more racial.

In any event, I think it’s best for everyone to move on at this point. The apology should cut it.

It's inmates running the prison and lunatics running the asylum.
Yeah, I think both are common vernacular.

The people trying to point this out as some better alternative don't make any sense. Would they rather he equated them with invalids?
nolanvt
Alma Mater: Marshall Univ.

Should Bob McNair be forced to sell the Texans?

Post by nolanvt »

Duane Brown anticipates 65-70% of the team to kneel today (to protest their owner).

In a related story, Jerrah and a group of owners are trying to halt the Goodell extension and possibly look for a new Commish.

Fully vaccinated, still not dead
CFB Apologist

Post by CFB Apologist »

nolanvt wrote:Duane Brown anticipates 65-70% of the team to kneel today (to protest their owner).

In a related story, Jerrah and a group of owners are trying to halt the Goodell extension and possibly look for a new Commish.

Wait.. you told me the 2009 marketing deal with the DOD required players to stand? The Texans are going to go against that marketing deal?
nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

CFB Apologist wrote:
nolanvt wrote:Duane Brown anticipates 65-70% of the team to kneel today (to protest their owner).

Wait.. you told me the 2009 marketing deal with the DOD required players to stand? The Texans are going to go against that marketing deal?
I’ve never said the DOD deal itself required it. In conjunction with that deal, though, the NFL thought they could grease out an enhanced show of patriotism by requiring players to be on the sidelines for the anthem. Those chickens came home to roost and backfired on the owners. The NFL has also poorly handed the situation. All you have to say is protest on your own time when you’re not in uniform or are otherwise “on the clock” (team meetings, practice, etc).

oaktonhokie

Post by oaktonhokie »

What should he apologize for, the stupidity of the person who was offended?

Who hasn't said, "the inmates are running the asylum," or the prison? It is a common phrase.

But when your'e talking to an idiot, who is just dying to be offended, you have to apologize for his ignorance.

Years ago, in a meeting of DC government types, someone used the word niggardly. Guess who was offended. Stupid people. The wash post made a big deal of the education of the offended moron, stating originally that he went to harvard.

Oooopsie, they meant howard.

The offended idiot in both cases should apologize for creating an issue and embarrassing himself due to his own stupidity.

But of course, the innocent party will have to apologize, lest he be called a racist.

nolanvt wrote:The apology should suffice. I wouldn’t worry about it much more than that. Owners are paying for the mess they created years ago.

If you bend over backwards long enough,
eventually you'll fall down.
nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

oaktonhokie wrote:What should he apologize for, the stupidity of the person who was offended?

Who hasn't said, "the inmates are running the asylum," or the prison? It is a common phrase.

But when your'e talking to an idiot, who is just dying to be offended, you have to apologize for his ignorance.

Years ago, in a meeting of DC government types, someone used the word niggardly. Guess who was offended. Stupid people. The wash post made a big deal of the education of the offended moron, stating originally that he went to harvard.

Oooopsie, they meant howard.

The offended idiot in both cases should apologize for creating an issue and embarrassing himself due to his own stupidity.

But of course, the innocent party will have to apologize, lest he be called a racist.

nolanvt wrote:The apology should suffice. I wouldn’t worry about it much more than that. Owners are paying for the mess they created years ago.

My opinion: the owners taking this meeting with the players was idiotic. Of course the players were going to leak the parts of it that they could leverage to their advantage. Weak leadership from the NFL is why Goodell is on the hot seat. He’s acting too much like a politician, like his Dad was, instead of a Commissioner who needs to put their foot down occasionally. David Stern didn’t allow such nonsense, between how he handled the anthem protest in the 90s and poor dress of the players in the early 2000s.