Russel Kirk's 10 conservative principles. I recommend

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
oaktonhokie

Russel Kirk's 10 conservative principles. I recommend

Post by oaktonhokie »

This as a primer on conservative thought.

Some tidbits from this thesis:

The conservative believes all social questions are at heart, to be questions of private morality. A society in which men and women are governed by beliefs in an enduring moral order... will be a good society whatever political machinery it may utilize …

The conservative declares that he acts only after sufficient reflection, having weighed the consequences. Sudden and slashing reforms are as perilous as sudden and slashing surgery.

For the preservation of a healthy diversity in any civilization, there must survive orders and classes, differences in material conditions and many sorts of inequality. The only true forms of equality are equality at the last judgment and equality before a just court of law; all other attempts at the leveling must lead, at best to social stagnation.

Conservatives are chastened by their principle of inperfectability. … no perfect social order ever can be created. To seek utopia is to end in disaster… The ideologues who promised the perfection of man and society have converted a great part of the 20th-century world into a terrestrial hell.

Economic leveling… is not economic progress.

I find it very interesting, that much of what people think conservatives stand for, is not included in these 10 principles.

http://www.kirkcenter.org/detail/ten-co ... principles
If you bend over backwards long enough,
eventually you'll fall down.