Trump and the opioids epidemic

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
fatman

Trump and the opioids epidemic

Post by fatman »

As I posted on here months ago, trump needs to target the corrupt American Medical association as part of his war on the opioids epidemic. Very cool to see that is exactly what he is doing. If trump were smart after he bankrupts this pharma and jails its allegedly corrupt owner, he'll hire hundreds of lawyers within the attorney generals office to investigate any doctor who took gifts from these opioid producers and then over prescribed these drugs that were intended only for cancer patients. Stopping corrupt doctors will reduce health care costs and the devastating pattern of addiction that starts at the doctors office.

The opioids crisis isn't fueled by drug cartels, it's the ama and the pharma industry pushing these drugs.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/201 ... ry-scheme/
cwtcr hokie

Re: Trump and the opioids epidemic

Post by cwtcr hokie »

fatman wrote:As I posted on here months ago, trump needs to target the corrupt American Medical association as part of his war on the opioids epidemic. Very cool to see that is exactly what he is doing. If trump were smart after he bankrupts this pharma and jails its allegedly corrupt owner, he'll hire hundreds of lawyers within the attorney generals office to investigate any doctor who took gifts from these opioid producers and then over prescribed these drugs that were intended only for cancer patients. Stopping corrupt doctors will reduce health care costs and the devastating pattern of addiction that starts at the doctors office.

The opioids crisis isn't fueled by drug cartels, it's the ama and the pharma industry pushing these drugs.

Reality, some people have actual chronic pain, but the vast majority on these drugs are just drug addicts with zero self control..... it takes the moron human taking drugs he/she knows are doing him/her harm to have an issue with them. FYI, these idiots OD and it means more social security for me so let them kill themselves please
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

cwtcr hokie wrote:
fatman wrote:As I posted on here months ago, trump needs to target the corrupt American Medical association as part of his war on the opioids epidemic. Very cool to see that is exactly what he is doing. If trump were smart after he bankrupts this pharma and jails its allegedly corrupt owner, he'll hire hundreds of lawyers within the attorney generals office to investigate any doctor who took gifts from these opioid producers and then over prescribed these drugs that were intended only for cancer patients. Stopping corrupt doctors will reduce health care costs and the devastating pattern of addiction that starts at the doctors office.

Reality, some people have actual chronic pain, but the vast majority on these drugs are just drug addicts with zero self control..... it takes the moron human taking drugs he/she knows are doing him/her harm to have an issue with them. FYI, these idiots OD and it means more social security for me so let them kill themselves please
There's a lot of overlap, the person with chronic pain or even a short term use becomes an addict. That's what happened to Rush Limbaugh. I've largely avoided taking my opiate prescription for this reason. I only take them when I'm in pain so great that I can't walk, otherwise it's anti-inflammatory drugs, spinal injections, etc.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

awesome guy wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:

There's a lot of overlap, the person with chronic pain or even a short term use becomes an addict. That's what happened to Rush Limbaugh. I've largely avoided taking my opiate prescription for this reason. I only take them when I'm in pain so great that I can't walk, otherwise it's anti-inflammatory drugs, spinal injections, etc.
But just as you and Rush you have the self control to stop or control the intake, the "opiod crisis" is people without the ability to control themselves, humans can control themselves.
FireFuente
Alma Mater: VT

Post by FireFuente »

cwtcr hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:

But just as you and Rush you have the self control to stop or control the intake, the "opiod crisis" is people without the ability to control themselves, humans can control themselves.
It all starts with poor impulse control which leads to biological dependency which further degrades impulse control, etc. That's the root of pretty much every addiction.

Not sure what everyone expects the gov't to do about it. If they attempt to "reform" the medical industry through legislation then they'll just end up raising costs and limiting access for people that actually need the drugs. And the real addicts will just buy on the black market.
BigDave
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Republican

Post by BigDave »

How much of it is corrupt doctors and how much of it is lazy doctors who just prescribe whatever the patient wants?

You go into the doctor and say, "doc my xyz hurts, can I have some vicodin" and he says, "sure, why not?"

One doctor I know of in this area used to see got into trouble for that (was put on probation, license nearly suspended, he was forbidden from prescribing pain pills as a condition of keeping his license). He wasn't taking kickbacks - he just wasn't exercising any discretion and was dispensing pills like candy.
Posted from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Post by Major Kong »

Doctors have lost their licenses in this area because of just writing pain scripts. Doctor shopping has become a thing of the past.

Pharmacies won't fill Rx before their fill date.

Most robberies here involve the stealing of pain pills. My BiL takes generic Vicodin for his bum shoulder, his house has been broken into twice for his pills...he has finally learned his lesson and has them locked away.

My sister had her house broken into several times, even the morning after she passed away, she too had learned her lesson and kept them locked away.
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

FireFuente

Post by FireFuente »

Major Kong wrote:Doctors have lost their licenses in this area because of just writing pain scripts. Doctor shopping has become a thing of the past.

Most robberies here involve the stealing of pain pills. My BiL takes generic Vicodin for his bum shoulder, his house has been broken into twice for his pills...he has finally learned his lesson and has them locked away.

My sister had her house broken into several times, even the morning after she passed away, she too had learned her lesson and kept them locked away.
That bring up another question, how did the crooks know there were pain meds in the house?

Are the pharmacists tipping them off?
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

BigDave wrote:How much of it is corrupt doctors and how much of it is lazy doctors who just prescribe whatever the patient wants?

You go into the doctor and say, "doc my xyz hurts, can I have some vicodin" and he says, "sure, why not?"

One doctor I know of in this area used to see got into trouble for that (was put on probation, license nearly suspended, he was forbidden from prescribing pain pills as a condition of keeping his license). He wasn't taking kickbacks - he just wasn't exercising any discretion and was dispensing pills like candy.
I think there was a 90/10 breakdown of 90% of pain meds coming from 10% of the doctors.
Bay_area_Hokie
Party: Surprise Party

Post by Bay_area_Hokie »

Major Kong wrote:Doctors have lost their licenses in this area because of just writing pain scripts. Doctor shopping has become a thing of the past.

Wow, that is incredible. I wonder if they knew your sister had the pills, or if they just guessed and robbed any house until they scored. Crazy times.
“With God there are only individuals” - Philosopher Nicolas Gomez Davila
fatman

Post by fatman »

Bay_area_Hokie wrote:

Wow, that is incredible. I wonder if they knew your sister had the pills, or if they just guessed and robbed any house until they scored. Crazy times.
Sorry to hear all that Kong. Sounds like a though time.
I’ve heard people tell stories of catching plumbers and Other laborers inside the house switching out Rx pills for placebo pills they carry with them. Trump is right, the problems with opioids are out of control.
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Post by Major Kong »

My dumbass BiL more or less advertised it...all his neighbors know he's worthless because of his shoulder and he takes his pain meds.

My sister's house was broken into about 5 years ago (while my sister was in a coma down in Johnson City) and the robbers found her pain medicines...after that they just considered her to be an easy mark but she started putting her meds up in a safe place.
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

BG Hokie

Post by BG Hokie »

cwtcr hokie wrote:

With that classless, selfish, pathetic lack of empathy for humans, it's no wonder God made you impotent.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

BG Hokie wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:

With that classless, selfish, pathetic lack of empathy for humans, it's no wonder God made you impotent.
Irony much?