Kevin Spacey: I just read this morning that....

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Kevin Spacey: I just read this morning that....

Post by USN_Hokie »

...he watched his father beat and rape (yes, rape) his older brother as a child.

Is there any real doubt that nurture (learned) component to sexuality (really.... all social behaviors) is quite large?
CFB Apologist

Re: Kevin Spacey: I just read this morning that....

Post by CFB Apologist »

I read this morning that Trump planted both the Spacey story and is involved in yesterdays attack to distract from Meuller. Yes, I read both of those- and a good number of them on Twitter
TheH2

Post by TheH2 »

CFB Apologist wrote:I read this morning that Trump planted both the Spacey story and is involved in yesterdays attack to distract from Meuller. Yes, I read both of those- and a good number of them on Twitter
You need to follow better people on twitter.

I once heard that Obama was born in Kenya. There's some crazy crap out there from fringe people.
People who know, know.
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

TheH2 wrote:
CFB Apologist wrote:I read this morning that Trump planted both the Spacey story and is involved in yesterdays attack to distract from Meuller. Yes, I read both of those- and a good number of them on Twitter
You need to follow better people on twitter.

I once heard that Obama was born in Kenya. There's some crazy crap out there from fringe people.
The Kenya thing has finally been confirmed BTW.

https://www.usatoday.com/videos/news/na ... 107226336/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
TheH2

Post by TheH2 »

USN_Hokie wrote:...he watched his father beat and rape (yes, rape) his older brother as a child.

Is there any real doubt that nurture (learned) component to sexuality (really.... all social behaviors) is quite large?
That's pretty f'd up if true.

Yes, life experiences effect all aspects of our life.
People who know, know.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

TheH2 wrote: Yes, life experiences effect all aspects of our life.
C'mon - that's a cop out answer...
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

USN_Hokie wrote:
I don't buy it, all humans have the ability to think. So per Spacey he is bi-sexual, males and females, so him seeing his father be a butt head pervert caused Spacey to be bi-sexual?
TheH2

Post by TheH2 »

USN_Hokie wrote:
I agreed with you. One sentence comment, one sentence response, seemed at least adequate.
People who know, know.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

cwtcr hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
I don't buy it, all humans have the ability to think. So per Spacey he is bi-sexual, males and females, so him seeing his father be a butt head pervert caused Spacey to be bi-sexual?
Why do you think children of obese parents are more likely to be obese themselves?
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

USN_Hokie wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
Why do you think children of obese parents are more likely to be obese themselves?
that is proven to be false all the time, point is spacey should be flaming homo if it affected him that bad. He is totally bi-sexual as he says he bangs men and women and likes both.
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

cwtcr hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
that is proven to be false all the time, point is spacey should be flaming homo if it affected him that bad. He is totally bi-sexual as he says he bangs men and women and likes both.
Not sure what "proven to be false all the time" means, but there have been several studies showing correlation between obese parents (either one, or both) and obese children, with a higher correlation when both parents are obese.

As for Spacey's sexuality, I'm not sure that banging men and women and liking both, is better than being gay or straight. Seems to me that is the most messed up scenario.
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

USN_Hokie wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
Genes and lack of instilled food discipline.

With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

Epigenetics, maybe...but that's getting too far into the weeds. All the obese blacks out there aren't that way because Africans were fat, though.

This isn't about obesity, though.
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

USN_Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

Epigenetics, maybe...but that's getting too far into the weeds. All the obese blacks out there aren't that way because Africans were fat, though.

It would be silly to deny that there is a genetic component to obesity. . . .
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote: C'mon - that's a cop out answer...

Only in a secondary sense in any meaningful way. For example - Low IQ correlates to high incidence of obesity:

IQ is in large part heritable, but the real cause here is that stupid people aren't as good at controlling their diets in the same way that they're bad at controlling their spending.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

cwtcr hokie wrote:.... point is spacey should be flaming homo if it affected him that bad. He is totally bi-sexual as he says he bangs men and women and likes both.
1. Lol, what makes you think he isn't? All of a sudden you think the dude who tried to bang a 14yo is the virgin Mary and 100% truthful?

2. His dad was married to his mom until he died, so I'd say that "bisexual" (I don't think it's a real thing, myself) would be a good mirror of his dad here - or a good mirror of his persona to be more precise.
VTDante
Alma Mater: VT
Party: Libertarian

Post by VTDante »

The rumors about Spacey's Dad have been on the internet for a few years.

There is definitely a strong correlation between child predators undergoing the same treatment as a child.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

More Allegations of Sexual Misconduct Surface Against Kevin Spacey

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/kevin ... 202604272/
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

TheH2 wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
I agreed with you. One sentence comment, one sentence response, seemed at least adequate.
Fair enough - my point might not have been clear. I think nurture/environment is the (pre)dominant factor in pedophiles.
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

USN_Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote: I don't buy it, all humans have the ability to think. So per Spacey he is bi-sexual, males and females, so him seeing his father be a butt head pervert caused Spacey to be bi-sexual?

Only in a secondary sense in any meaningful way. For example - Low IQ correlates to high incidence of obesity:

IQ is in large part heritable, but the real cause here is that stupid people aren't as good at controlling their diets in the same way that they're bad at controlling their spending.
Coming from someone who has always been able to eat as much as they want without gaining weight, you must find me to be really smart. And all tall and skinny people in my family are also smart.

USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
Coming from someone who has always been able to eat as much as they want without gaining weight, you must find me to be really smart. And all tall and skinny people in my family are also smart.
Don't worry, we're not speaking in absolutes. There's room for dumb skinny people in this world too. :geek:

Maybe IP has a tapeworm? :mrgreen:
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

USN_Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
Don't worry, we're not speaking in absolutes. There's room for dumb skinny people in this world too. :geek:

Maybe IP has a tapeworm? :mrgreen:
I thought you were on to something for once.

Bay_area_Hokie
Alma Mater: VT
Party: Surprise Party

Post by Bay_area_Hokie »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote: C'mon - that's a cop out answer...

But, if it was mostly genetic, obesity rates wouldn't be going through the roof. The average women now weighs what the average man weighed in the 60s for example.

“With God there are only individuals” - Philosopher Nicolas Gomez Davila
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

Bay_area_Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote: I don't buy it, all humans have the ability to think. So per Spacey he is bi-sexual, males and females, so him seeing his father be a butt head pervert caused Spacey to be bi-sexual?

But, if it was mostly genetic, obesity rates wouldn't be going through the roof. The average women now weighs what the average man weighed in the 60s for example.

I have no idea what the breakdown is at the various levels of being overweight and morbid obesity, if there were a way to measure it. I would argue that it trends more to the genetic when you include only the morbidly obese. But There’s also a good amount of ‘food as a drug’ type substance abusers in this group, I admit.

If we are including those that are just overweight, I agree it’s more nurture than nature. To your point, I wonder if it’s more that our caloric intake has increased, or our average physical activity has decreased. Obviously both have occurred.

HokieJoe
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Eclectic

Post by HokieJoe »

The genetics involved are humans are designed to store fat for leaner times. Every day foods are calorie dense; and we have lots of relative leisure time, so the lean times never come. There very likely are genetic and epigenetic reasons for some people's obesity, but it isn't the norm.
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson