So ... how do you make out in the GOP tax plan?

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Re: So ... how do you make out in the GOP tax plan?

Post by ip_law-hokie »

USN_Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
BigDave wrote:You do well if you are

* Married (marriage penalty is reduced from what it was)
* Lower middle class
* Currently subject to the AMT

You do less well if you:

* Have multiple kids and are upper middle class or higher (personal exemption goes away and the child tax credit phases out)
* Live in a state with an excessively high income tax
* Plan to buy a $1 million home

The details:

1. No more AMT

2. No more deduction for state income tax (real estate and property taxes up to $10K are still deductible)

3. No more personal exemption

4. Standard deduction is $12K for singles or $24K for married

5. Mortgage deduction capped at homes of $500K for new home purchases (previously it was $1 million)

6. Child tax credit increases to $1500 (from $1000), but phases out $50 for every $1000 you make over $75K (single) or $110K (married)

7. The new brackets are single (married):

* Under $12K ($24K): 0%
* $12K-$45K ($24K-$90K): 12%
* $45K-$200K ($90K-$260K): 25%
* $200K-$500K ($260K-$1 million): 35%
* Over $500K (over $1 million): 39.6%
You left off the 1.5T increase in our deficit. But I haven't seen a lot of worry on here about that.
What does the budget have to do in a discussion over how much of somebody's earnings they should keep? That would be pretty Lefty of you to argue over how much of somebody's earnings the government should let them keep.
Well, taxes fund the federal government. So there’s that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:

* Lower middle class

You do less well if you:

* Have multiple kids and are upper middle class or higher (personal exemption goes away and the child tax credit phases out)

The details:

1. No more AMT

2. No more deduction for state income tax (real estate and property taxes up to $10K are still deductible)

5. Mortgage deduction capped at homes of $500K for new home purchases (previously it was $1 million)

6. Child tax credit increases to $1500 (from $1000), but phases out $50 for every $1000 you make over $75K (single) or $110K (married)

You left off the 1.5T increase in our deficit. But I haven't seen a lot of worry on here about that.
What does the budget have to do in a discussion over how much of somebody's earnings they should keep? That would be pretty Lefty of you to argue over how much of somebody's earnings the government should let them keep.

Should the federal government have unlimited access to your earnings? How much is too much? What is the government funding with tax dollars that they shouldn't be (constitutionally or otherwise). The pot isn't unlimited. When is the breaking point reached?
HokieHam
Location: Kicking over crayons in a safe space for libruls....

Post by HokieHam »

133743Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:

* Lower middle class

You do less well if you:

The details:

1. No more AMT

Should the federal government have unlimited access to your earnings? How much is too much? What is the government funding with tax dollars that they shouldn't be (constitutionally or otherwise). The pot isn't unlimited. When is the breaking point reached?
As soon as ip gets his beloved single payer.
"if you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face-forever."

ip believes you can dial in a 78 year old man who suffers from deminishing mental function
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

133743Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:

* Lower middle class

You do less well if you:

The details:

1. No more AMT

I’m not following the relevance of your rant, sorry.

Sure there is a limit. But when we are already spending more than we are taking in, and are not willing to cut spending to any significant extent, it would seem logical to suggest that cutting the money coming in is not the fiscally prudent response.

If you cannot accept this from me, listen to R. Paul. He’s saying the same thing.

With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
HokieHam

Post by HokieHam »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:

* Lower middle class

You do less well if you:

The details:

1. No more AMT

Sure there is a limit. But when we are already spending more than we are taking in, and are not willing to cut spending to any significant extent, it would seem logical to suggest that cutting the money coming in is not the fiscally prudent response.

If you cannot accept this from me, listen to R. Paul. He’s saying the same thing.

No. We agree that spending should be cut......but this just seems disenginuous coming from someone who wants government to totally take over the nations healthcare. Whenever Pubs tried to reduce spending in the past, it was always evil. They were starving children in schools, elderly at home, on and on ad nausem. Cut it all. Stop funding art, PBS.....etc. cut Military spending. Cut foreign aid. Cut welfare. What else can we cut?
"if you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face-forever."

ip believes you can dial in a 78 year old man who suffers from deminishing mental function
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote]
Should the federal government have unlimited access to your earnings? How much is too much? What is the government funding with tax dollars that they shouldn't be (constitutionally or otherwise). The pot isn't unlimited. When is the breaking point reached?[/quote]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote]
No. We agree that spending should be cut......but this just seems disenginuous coming from someone who wants government to totally take over the nations healthcare. Whenever Pubs tried to reduce spending in the past, it was always evil. They were starving children in schools, elderly at home, on and on ad nausem. Cut it all. Stop funding art, PBS.....etc. cut Military spending. Cut foreign aid. Cut welfare. What else can we cut?[/quote]

I give you credit for thinking that. Some think it's white noise. Some think it's always OK to cut taxes.
HokieHam

Post by HokieHam »

I give you credit for thinking that. Some think it's white noise. Some think it's always OK to cut taxes.
If we aren’t running deficits, I think it’s alsway good to cut taxes. We are now in this endless cycle of Dems wanting more government intrusion into our lives with more taxes and cowardly Pubs who want to cut taxes without cutting government. To be honest, it doesn’t really seem the Pubs want to cut taxes either.

We need a new party that is not the Libertarians.

USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:

* Lower middle class

You do less well if you:

The details:

1. No more AMT

I guess that makes sense if you think taxpayers exist as livestock to serve government.
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

* Lower middle class

You do less well if you:

The details:

1. No more AMT

Overall, it's a crap show, but you also have to include the low tax rate on pass through income for partnerships and sole proprietorships, which would be great. If you get that, and then get rid of the stupid removal of the state income tax deduction, I'm all for it.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

I like it, even though I'll probably pay more.

Love to see all the folks living in liberal welfare states suddenly become tea partiers over removal of the state tax deduction, too.
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

USN_Hokie wrote:I like it, even though I'll probably pay more.

Love to see all the folks living in liberal welfare states suddenly become tea partiers over removal of the state tax deduction, too.
It will just encourage states to switch from income taxes to property taxes.

I’d be curious to hear their stated reasoning for including one, but not the other.

USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

ip_law-hokie wrote:

I’d be curious to hear their stated reasoning for including one, but not the other.

You don't get it? States were using the exemption to collect taxes the fed would have otherwise collected. If states just increase property/sales taxes to recoup the losses they will increase the gross taxes for their constituents to collect the same amount of taxes.
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

USN_Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:

You don't get it? States were using the exemption to collect taxes the fed would have otherwise collected. If states just increase property/sales taxes to recoup the losses they will increase the gross taxes for their constituents to collect the same amount of taxes.
Of course. But it would still put most NY/CA/MD tax payers in a better position than continuing to rely on income taxes to the same extent.

What is the stated reasoning for exempting state property taxes and not state income taxes? Have they given one?

And yes, I understand the real reason is that they home industry lobby carries more weight than the concerns of NY, CA and NJ tax payers. I get that.

133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:

* Lower middle class

You do less well if you:

The details:

1. No more AMT

Woah. The republicans are willing to cut spending, the democrats are not. If left to the republicans we could cut spending and have tax reform and then still zero the deficit for the year. The democrats are unwilling to compromise on ANY spending cuts. Shoot, they even rail about reductions in increases.
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

133743Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote: You left off the 1.5T increase in our deficit. But I haven't seen a lot of worry on here about that.

Woah. The republicans are willing to cut spending, the democrats are not. If left to the republicans we could cut spending and have tax reform and then still zero the deficit for the year. The democrats are unwilling to compromise on ANY spending cuts. Shoot, they even rail about reductions in increases.
Are you serious? Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t only a majority required. Don’t you have the House, Senate and White House?

Touchdown Jets.

133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:

* Lower middle class

You do less well if you:

The details:

1. No more AMT

Are you serious? Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t only a majority required. Don’t you have the House, Senate and White House?

Touchdown Jets.

No, it requires more than a simple majority.
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

133743Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote: Well, taxes fund the federal government. So there’s that.

Touchdown Jets.

No, it requires more than a simple majority.
OK. The votes taken to date have passed with majority votes, correct? Including the resolution authorizing the 1.5T increase in the deficit? How did that vote go?