Seattle sez income isn't property...

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Re: Seattle sez income isn't property...

Post by USN_Hokie »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
Fatman’s point is that their constitution should be amended to avoid the mental gymnastics.
The point of the constitution(s) isn't to make it easier/more expedient for bureaucrats to fleece the pockets of taxpayers, though liberals here and elsewhere often think it's a tool of government to do just that.

I'm not an expert in Washington state history or law, but I would guess that this provision was added to prevent them from doing precisely what they're attempting.
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:
fatman wrote:This whole thing seems silly. Some minimal level of Gov't is required, I've yet to see a proposal for how to fund that outside of taxation, income is a natural source for tax collectors to collect against. Sounds like they need to go for a common sense approach and repeal the prohibition on income tax to end this silly debate.

The US Tech industry is heavily concentrated in about 2 dozen cities with heavily educated workforces. The tech industries are powering some pretty powerful income inequality to a point where you've started to see social issues cropping up. Seattle and SF have that problem worse than most.
Is income property?
Fatman’s point is that their constitution should be amended to avoid the mental gymnastics.

To me, earned income is akin to an annuity (t=0) and thus property. But good arguments can be made on each side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No reasonable argument can be made that income isn't property. None. It may be argued, but not well.
So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

RiverguyVT wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:
fatman wrote:This whole thing seems silly. Some minimal level of Gov't is required, I've yet to see a proposal for how to fund that outside of taxation, income is a natural source for tax collectors to collect against. Sounds like they need to go for a common sense approach and repeal the prohibition on income tax to end this silly debate.

The US Tech industry is heavily concentrated in about 2 dozen cities with heavily educated workforces. The tech industries are powering some pretty powerful income inequality to a point where you've started to see social issues cropping up. Seattle and SF have that problem worse than most.
Is income property?

To me, earned income is akin to an annuity (t=0) and thus property. But good arguments can be made on each side.

No reasonable argument can be made that income isn't property. None. It may be argued, but not well.
That’s not true.

Having it considered property means it’s taxable, right?

With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
BigDave
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Republican

Post by BigDave »

ip_law-hokie wrote:That’s not true.

It's a confusingly-written article, but my (possibly wrong) understanding is that the problem is that property has to be taxed UNIFORMLY, meaning that if income is property, then you can't have a graduated tax rate (or personal exemptions, etc).
Posted from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

BigDave wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:That’s not true.

It's a confusingly-written article, but my (possibly wrong) understanding is that the problem is that property has to be taxed UNIFORMLY, meaning that if income is property, then you can't have a graduated tax rate (or personal exemptions, etc).
that makes sense, thanks.
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.