Something to think about re sexual harassment and Clinton

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
133743Hokie

Something to think about re sexual harassment and Clinton

Post by 133743Hokie »

If today's technology and outrage had been in place twenty years ago, Bill Clinton would have surely been impeached in a bi-partisan manner, and Al Gore would have elevated to the presidency to finish Clinton's term. As a result of those two years in office it's likely Gore would have beat Bush in 2000.

How would Gore have handled 9/11 and the subsequent foray into Afghanistan? Would have Iraq even become an issue?

Would Gore have won re-election in 2004? I guess that would depend on how he handled things post 9/11. If he is re-elected, does the housing bubble still burst and lead the Republicans into the White House in 2008 (given 16 straight years of Democrat presidents I would expect the negatives would have been enough to put a republican in the WH).

Obama likely never gets the nomination, haven risen to power in an anti-Bush moment. Someone else would have been the democrat candidate in 2008.

The course of US (and world) history would have been completely different if the public and media outrage of today existed 20 years ago. Just something to think about.
HokieJoe
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Eclectic

Re: Something to think about re sexual harassment and Clinto

Post by HokieJoe »

133743Hokie wrote:If today's technology and outrage had been in place twenty years ago, Bill Clinton would have surely been impeached in a bi-partisan manner, and Al Gore would have elevated to the presidency to finish Clinton's term. As a result of those two years in office it's likely Gore would have beat Bush in 2000.

How would Gore have handled 9/11 and the subsequent foray into Afghanistan? Would have Iraq even become an issue?

Would Gore have won re-election in 2004? I guess that would depend on how he handled things post 9/11. If he is re-elected, does the housing bubble still burst and lead the Republicans into the White House in 2008 (given 16 straight years of Democrat presidents I would expect the negatives would have been enough to put a republican in the WH).

Obama likely never gets the nomination, haven risen to power in an anti-Bush moment. Someone else would have been the democrat candidate in 2008.

The course of US (and world) history would have been completely different if the public and media outrage of today existed 20 years ago. Just something to think about.

Does the housing bubble still burst?

Yes, it would have. Just like .com was bound to go boom.
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

133743Hokie wrote:If today's technology and outrage had been in place twenty years ago, Bill Clinton would have surely been impeached in a bi-partisan manner, and Al Gore would have elevated to the presidency to finish Clinton's term. As a result of those two years in office it's likely Gore would have beat Bush in 2000.

Gore is like Ford in that situation.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
nolanvt
Alma Mater: Marshall Univ.

Post by nolanvt »

Why are we assuming that the Dems still wouldn’t have rallied around Clinton?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fully vaccinated, still not dead
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

I think this sexual harassment circular firing squad is something fueled by the media. It never would have happened under Clinton. Everyone knew he was a horn dog when he was elected.
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

nolanvt wrote:Why are we assuming that the Dems still wouldn’t have rallied around Clinton?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
As I stated, presuming today's environment and technology and media. The wolves would have eaten him up.
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

USN_Hokie wrote:I think this sexual harassment circular firing squad is something fueled by the media. It never would have happened under Clinton. Everyone knew he was a horn dog when he was elected.
Again, if today's media, etc. were present 20 years ago. Looking at 1998 thru the lens of 2017
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

Gore doesn't beat Bush in 2000 after two years in office.
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

133743Hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:I think this sexual harassment circular firing squad is something fueled by the media. It never would have happened under Clinton. Everyone knew he was a horn dog when he was elected.
Again, if today's media, etc. were present 20 years ago. Looking at 1998 thru the lens of 2017
They were, they were more partisan than today. We just didn't have alternatives till FOX and Rush.
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

awesome guy wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
They were, they were more partisan than today. We just didn't have alternatives till FOX and Rush.
Not even close. And the array of media options and outlets makes it morebiased.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

133743Hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
There was no other options back then, it was 90% liberal BS. Not sure how having no alternatives would have made them less biased.
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

ip_law-hokie wrote:

I expect Gore would have won. He lost in 2000 in the supreme court. With two years in office behind him he would have been a stronger candidate and most likely won.
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

awesome guy wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
There was no other options back then, it was 90% liberal BS. Not sure how having no alternatives would have made them less biased.
I'm talking about how they are now going after liberal entertainers and politicians about there sexual foibles. They Didn't do that then, which gave him a pass.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

133743Hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
I'm talking about how they are now going after liberal entertainers and politicians about there sexual foibles. They Didn't do that then, which gave him a pass.
That was the hay day of firing CEOs and business people for women claiming they were made to feel uncomfortable. That whole narrative magically died once Bill Clinton was the abuser. Same would happen today, the left has no morals or common decency.
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

awesome guy wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
133743Hokie wrote: Again, if today's media, etc. were present 20 years ago. Looking at 1998 thru the lens of 2017
That was the hay day of firing CEOs and business people for women claiming they were made to feel uncomfortable. That whole narrative magically died once Bill Clinton was the abuser. Same would happen today, the left has no morals or common decency.
The pendulum has swung big time in the past month. Even Bill is getting crucified now, and I think he would have then if under todays circumstances.
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

I'm still in the "this could only happen now" boat. The narrative which is unfolding is no accident and I think there's a large element of the left (which includes the press) which is trying to put an end to the Clintons. In the 90s they were untouchable.
Hokie CPA
Alma Mater: Norfolk Academy to Virginia Tech
Party: I reject your party

Post by Hokie CPA »

USN_Hokie wrote:I'm still in the "this could only happen now" boat. The narrative which is unfolding is no accident and I think there's a large element of the left (which includes the press) which is trying to put an end to the Clintons. In the 90s they were untouchable.
I agree. Today's environment isn't about the media so much as it is the actual events going on today. Cosby gets off, sets off a fury of #MeToo accusations.... many of which go without denial (Spacey, CK, etc.) and all the while Feldman is over there saying, “I told you so but you wouldn't listen to the dumb kid.” All that other stuff had to happen first.

I mean, Jesus H.... there were, what... 4 or 5 women who accused Bill Clinton of everything from sexual assault to rape well before he won the nomination in 92 and the sheep still voted for him.
awesome guy wrote:Gore is like Ford in that situation.
Nope. Gore was at least elected, twice, to be vice president. That lends quite a bit of legitimacy in the event Clinton resigns and Gore ascends. Ford never appeared on a national ballot. He was appointed Veep after Agnew resigned in disgrace by Nixon, who resigned in disgrace. Ford was always a placeholder and never had a chance to win the office outright. He would have needed to swing Ohio and Hawaii to win it, and I just can't see that.

He was never going to beat Carter in 76.
I don't care if you're a Democrat or a Republican... if you refuse to consider alternatives to the two parties, you support the Status Quo and you are a major part of the problem.

HokieJoe
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Eclectic

Post by HokieJoe »

133743Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:

I expect Gore would have won. He lost in 2000 in the supreme court. With two years in office behind him he would have been a stronger candidate and most likely won.
Tend to agree with ip here. Gore, like Hillary, is incredibly unlikeable.
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

HokieJoe wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:

Tend to agree with ip here. Gore, like Hillary, is incredibly unlikeable.
The economy was zooming along and ppl were generally optimistic. That may have kept Gore in, but I still lean toward Bush winning in an easier battle if the "mood" was more like it is today.

Another question - would Al have gotten into the powerpoint making business had he been POTUS for 2 years and then elected in 2000? Imagine how much happier we'd be without that mess (or maybe someone else would have just taken up the torch).
Techmomof2
Alma Mater: Penn State

Post by Techmomof2 »

This is like the TV series "11.22.63". I just watched the DVDs.

James Franco goes back in time to 1961 to have 2 years to get to know people, get a job, get his bearings, to try to prevent the assassination of JFK. Along the way, he tries to reverse bad things that he finds out happened to friends. He could come back to 2011 but if he went back in time again through the portal, his previous changes would be reversed.

Changing history, even with good intentions did not go well - how one minor change had a ripple effect on so many other things. It was very interesting.

I believe it was a Stephen King book which I have not read.