You can tell it’s almost Christmas

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
HokieFanDC

Re: You can tell it’s almost Christmas

Post by HokieFanDC »

RiverguyVT wrote:Getting away from pizza and IP for a moment....back to topic

Every year, this "story" is reported. Going back how far, I dunno. Are people REALLY upset with Starbucks? Or, are leftist media types at the NYT simply making a non-story every year, in an attempt to poke lowly, foolish, Christians?

I suspect the latter.

Starbucks is a weird little joint. I happen to like their coffee, but it is clear they market their vibe just as seriously as the beans they roast; both are the "product" they're selling. This, I think, also feeds the non-story story.

Trivia- anyone know where their name comes from? Hint: it's on the cup!
You should take that up with people like Bill O'Reilly, who clearly thought there was a War on Christmas (or just saw it as a great marketing tool for an easily manipulated subset of his viewers), and people like those in this thread:

http://uwsboard.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t ... +christmas

Or this guy.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/11/09/politics/ ... index.html

I agree with you, though, it's a lot of outrage from a small group of numnuts.
miles

Post by miles »

HokieFanDC wrote:

Every year, this "story" is reported. Going back how far, I dunno. Are people REALLY upset with Starbucks? Or, are leftist media types at the NYT simply making a non-story every year, in an attempt to poke lowly, foolish, Christians?

I suspect the latter.

Starbucks is a weird little joint. I happen to like their coffee, but it is clear they market their vibe just as seriously as the beans they roast; both are the "product" they're selling. This, I think, also feeds the non-story story.

You should take that up with people like Bill O'Reilly, who clearly thought there was a War on Christmas (or just saw it as a great marketing tool for an easily manipulated subset of his viewers), and people like those in this thread:

Or this guy.

Got it
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

miles wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:

I suspect the latter.

Or this guy.

Got it
Unlikely. That would be a milestone for you.

Get it. Milestone. I slay me.
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

I was thinking the same thing. If you read the article, this is 100% media-generated faux outrage for snooty liberals to laugh at and forward to all their self important friends. The NYT piece is generated from a Buzzfeed ( :roll: ) article which doesn't quote anyone outraged about this.

A better title might be "You can tell it's almost Christmas when...liberals liberals get excited over secular coffee cups."

If I didn't know any better, I'd think Starbucks was paying for this.
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

USN_Hokie wrote:

I was thinking the same thing. If you read the article, this is 100% media-generated faux outrage for snooty liberals to laugh at and forward to all their self important friends. The NYT piece is generated from a Buzzfeed ( :roll: ) article which doesn't quote anyone outraged about this.

A better title might be "You can tell it's almost Christmas when...liberals liberals get excited over secular coffee cups."

If there's no war on Christmas, someone better give Trump the memo. He kept bringing it up in his tax bill speech.

This was my favorite one, "You don't see Merry Christmas anymore. With Trump as your president, we are going to be celebrating Merry Christmas again."

Maybe Starbuck's is paying him to keep up his side of the war.
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

HokieFanDC wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

If there's no war on Christmas, someone better give Trump the memo. He kept bringing it up in his tax bill speech.

This was my favorite one, "You don't see Merry Christmas anymore. With Trump as your president, we are going to be celebrating Merry Christmas again."

Maybe Starbuck's is paying him to keep up his side of the war.
Where are you going with this? This is a tangent from the topic at hand.
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

Of the hundreds of Christians with whom I come into contact regularly...not a single one has ever complained about Starbucks cups. Not. A. One. Now...Starbucks pricing? I've heard that one before.
So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.
HokieHam
Location: Kicking over crayons in a safe space for libruls....

Post by HokieHam »

RiverguyVT wrote:Of the hundreds of Christians with whom I come into contact regularly...not a single one has ever complained about Starbucks cups. Not. A. One. Now...Starbucks pricing? I've heard that one before.
Yup.
"if you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face-forever."

ip believes you can dial in a 78 year old man who suffers from deminishing mental function
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Post by Major Kong »

I rekkin it must be a symptom of living in the belt buckle of the bible belt the "War on Christmas" is a Sitzkrieg. :)
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.