How many married guys here let their wife keep her maiden...

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
UpstateSCHokie

How many married guys here let their wife keep her maiden...

Post by UpstateSCHokie »

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” ― Voltaire (1694 – 1778)
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Re: How many married guys here let their wife keep her maide

Post by ip_law-hokie »

And what else do you UWS’ers let your wife do?

Makeup?
Drive?
Wear shoes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

That's as bad as hyphens
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

ip_law-hokie wrote:And what else do you UWS’ers let your wife do?

Makeup?
Drive?
Wear shoes?

Cook and clean
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Post by Major Kong »

35 years ago I left it up to her...she took my last name. No hyphen.
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

awesome guy wrote:That's as bad as hyphens
For the ultimate in (*clutch your pearls ladies*) cuckoldry, I used to know a guy who hyphenated his last name when he got married.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

Makeup?
Drive?
Wear shoes?

Order pineapple on her side of the Dominoes pizza...
Bay_area_Hokie
Alma Mater: VT
Party: Surprise Party

Post by Bay_area_Hokie »

There was a guy in my high school whose parents hyphenated their names to make his. For example, mom was a Jones, Dad was a Smith, he was a Jones-Smith. Serious.

Neither of them must have had an engineering degree because that system doesn’t scale. [emoji23]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
“With God there are only individuals” - Philosopher Nicolas Gomez Davila
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

Bay_area_Hokie wrote:There was a guy in my high school whose parents hyphenated their names to make his. For example, mom was a Jones, Dad was a Smith, he was a Jones-Smith. Serious.

Neither of them must have had an engineering degree because that system doesn’t scale. [emoji23]

I've seen this before and it's always boggled me. Are the kids supposed to hyphenate their names...creating quadruple hyphenated names?
CFB Apologist

Post by CFB Apologist »

Not me, but my wife and I are normal people, so.
CFB Apologist

Post by CFB Apologist »

Makeup?
Drive?
Wear shoes?

Taking a name in marriage is now akin to Sharia Law to the mentally ill? Wow.
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

CFB Apologist wrote:

Makeup?
Drive?
Wear shoes?

I’m not shocked that you completely missed the point.

With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

Not so sure I "let" her anything.
So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

Makeup?
Drive?
Wear shoes?

You stone to death all the girls that cheat on you, right?
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

RiverguyVT wrote:
Exactly!
Just asking for unwanted trouble going down that path!
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

133743Hokie wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:
Exactly!
Just asking for unwanted trouble going down that path!
Good husbands in SC let their wives out at least twice a day.

WestEndHokie39

Post by WestEndHokie39 »

RiverguyVT wrote:
LOL- I had to smile at the way Uppy phrased that...

For some reason, the state of Virginia decided to hypenate my wife's name on her nursing license...on their own...she has never had it corrected...
BigDave
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Republican

Post by BigDave »

My wife uses her maiden name professionally because she has an established reputation and multiple certifications/licenses in her maiden name. It makes sense to use it.

If you get married right out of college or if the woman is going to be a stay-at-home mom, then taking the husband's name makes sense. But if she has a pre-existing career with a professional reputation, then it may not make sense to throw that name recognition away.

(And it's her decision - not mine - as Riverguy said, we don't "let" our wives do anything.)
Posted from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk
BigDave

Post by BigDave »

Bay_area_Hokie wrote:There was a guy in my high school whose parents hyphenated their names to make his. For example, mom was a Jones, Dad was a Smith, he was a Jones-Smith. Serious.

I've joked about that - I want to see two people with hyphenated names get married and name the baby Bob Alexander-Patterson-Thompson-Hernandez.

One of my high school friends who used to be very ultra-conservative in the olden days has been over-educated in useless degrees (phd in English, etc) and has turned into a flaming liberal nutjob. (Though, oddly, he still has some common sense on a few things and whenever he shows some common sense on Facebook, his LWNJ friends are ticked off at him.) Anyway, he changed his name to Wifeslastname-Hislastname.
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

"Dash" isn't a hugely unusual last name. I'd get a kick out of seeing that one hyphenated. It would go well with Pound. Especially if there is a kid involved named Colin. And he enters a march madness pool.

What bracket is Colin Dash Pound in?
So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.
TheH2

Post by TheH2 »

BigDave wrote:

I've joked about that - I want to see two people with hyphenated names get married and name the baby Bob Alexander-Patterson-Thompson-Hernandez.

One of my high school friends who used to be very ultra-conservative in the olden days has been over-educated in useless degrees (phd in English, etc) and has turned into a flaming liberal nutjob. (Though, oddly, he still has some common sense on a few things and whenever he shows some common sense on Facebook, his LWNJ friends are ticked off at him.) Anyway, he changed his name to Wifeslastname-Hislastname.
The Mexican culture uses long names which I believe takes both parents last names. Now I'm really reaching, but I think the 2nd name is the "primary" last name, which goes to the heir, along with the spouses "primary" last name.

Let me add that it is a great way to trace lineage. It's similar to custom in the U.S. (maybe from Germany?) of using the mother's maiden name as the child's middle name.
People who know, know.
BigDave

Post by BigDave »

TheH2 wrote:
BigDave wrote:

The Mexican culture uses long names which I believe takes both parents last names. Now I'm really reaching, but I think the 2nd name is the "primary" last name, which goes to the heir, along with the spouses "primary" last name.

Let me add that it is a great way to trace lineage. It's similar to custom in the U.S. (maybe from Germany?) of using the mother's maiden name as the child's middle name.
Interesting. His wife has an Italian-sounding last name and I always thought she looked Italian, but she could be Hispanic. (Honestly, I'm not very good at telling race sometimes. One of my friends in college I used to think he was Hispanic when we first met but then I realized eventually he was a white guy who had a tan at the beginning of school from working outside over the summer.)
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

TheH2 wrote:
BigDave wrote:

Think that's a latin thing in general. Had a Puerto Rican girl tell me one time that if you don't use three names down there people think you are a bastard. I can never remember whether you are supposed to use the "middle" name or the last name when referring to them as Ms. or Mr. I think its the middle name.
HokieJoe
Party: Eclectic

Post by HokieJoe »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
CFB Apologist wrote:

Makeup?
Drive?
Wear shoes?

I’m not shocked that you completely missed the point.

There is no point. Outside of professional reasons, hyphenated names are for idiots seeking perceived social status. Sort of like putting double deuces on your Tercel.
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
nolanvt
Alma Mater: Marshall Univ.

Post by nolanvt »

BigDave wrote:My wife uses her maiden name professionally because she has an established reputation and multiple certifications/licenses in her maiden name. It makes sense to use it.

If you get married right out of college or if the woman is going to be a stay-at-home mom, then taking the husband's name makes sense. But if she has a pre-existing career with a professional reputation, then it may not make sense to throw that name recognition away.

(And it's her decision - not mine - as Riverguy said, we don't "let" our wives do anything.)
Uppity is so gracious to let his wife do certain things. We should applaud him.

Fully vaccinated, still not dead