Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
HokieJoe
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Eclectic

Re: Breaking: Matt Lauer fired for inappropriate sexual beha

Post by HokieJoe »

First principles:
*Keep it in your britches at work. Which means, never ever engage in office relationships.
*Don't put yourself in potentially compromising positions.
*Should someone accuse you, and you're guilty, take responsibility.
*Accusations are not necessarily facts.
*Should you face false harassment accusations, and you're not guilty, give those who chose to wreck your life no legal quarter.
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

Anyone remember Lauer's time in RVA?
So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

RiverguyVT wrote:Anyone remember Lauer's time in RVA?
1980. Sounds like he's still friends with a female co-anchor and her husband from that time period. Of course he was just getting going on his career at that time so he hadn't attained prima donna status yet.
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

133743Hokie wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:Anyone remember Lauer's time in RVA?
1980. Sounds like he's still friends with a female co-anchor and her husband from that time period. Of course he was just getting going on his career at that time so he hadn't attained prima donna status yet.
I remember Paige Peak and not him
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

HokieJoe wrote:First principles:
*Keep it in your britches at work. Which means, never ever engage in office relationships.
*Should you face false harassment accusations, and you're not guilty, give those who chose to wreck your life no legal quarter.
those are all true, but in my younger days pre meeting my wife I did persue females at work if I thought there was any interest. We are humans and being in a relationship is part of our dna. Alot of people meet at work, its where most of us spend 75-80% of our waking hours
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

cwtcr hokie wrote:
those are all true, but in my younger days pre meeting my wife I did persue females at work if I thought there was any interest. We are humans and being in a relationship is part of our dna. Alot of people meet at work, its where most of us spend 75-80% of our waking hours
With all the technology-enabled ways to meet people and get laid, I don’t think you would need to resort to work relationships to meet your needs. There is no reason for anyone to do that these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
With all the technology-enabled ways to meet people and get laid, I don’t think you would need to resort to work relationships to meet your needs. There is no reason for anyone to do that these days.

Other than studio girls being smoking hot.
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:

Certainly easier to get to know someone that you see and interact with daily. Much better chance of long term success.
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

133743Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:

Certainly easier to get to know someone that you see and interact with daily. Much better chance of long term success.
Don’t excrement where you eat.

With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
I thought your motto was "don't excrement when you eat"?
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:

That's utter nonsense. And a misuse of that phrase
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

133743Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:

Based on how some of my relationships have ended, it is an absolutely correct use of the phrase.

RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

Dating someone from work is miles and miles away from doing something inappropriate.

I'm hoping, but can never know, that none of you office romeos would plunk down a dildo -at work- with a note to the object of your affections stating what you wanted them to do with it. But with this crew, who knows?
Salute the Marines
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

RiverguyVT wrote:Dating someone from work is miles and miles away from doing something inappropriate.

I'm hoping, but can never know, that none of you office romeos would plunk down a dildo -at work- with a note to the object of your affections stating what you wanted them to do with it. But with this crew, who knows?
What happens when it ends?

Bad idea all the way around.

133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:[quote="cwtcr ]

Based on how some of my relationships have ended, it is an absolutely correct use of the phrase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote]
Maybe that says something about you. Just saying, because it is the major way people meet.
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:Dating someone from work is miles and miles away from doing something inappropriate.

When it ends it ends. Be a frickin adult and move on.
nolanvt
Alma Mater: Marshall Univ.

Post by nolanvt »

It’s a good practice not to date people from work. That won’t end well.

Fully vaccinated, still not dead
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

133743Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:

When it ends it ends. Be a frickin adult and move on.
Good luck. But take heed to JB at 0:20.

https://youtu.be/7_MZHMs8xZo

HokieJoe
Party: Eclectic

Post by HokieJoe »

ip_law-hokie wrote:

What happens when it ends? Hope and pray she isn't crazy as hell.
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

Each of us has his own experience. I once worked in an office of approx 150 people. Within 2 years, something like 7 coworker marriages took place (that's 14 people for the math-challenged). My understanding is that now, 25 years later, all but one couple are still married.

My main point, again, is that harassment looks nothing like dating.

It is simple. Don't be an ass, and things tend to work out. Would I recommend people date at work? Typically, no. But that has absolutely NOTHING to do with workplace harassment. Nothing.
Salute the Marines
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

RiverguyVT wrote:Each of us has his own experience. I once worked in an office of approx 150 people. Within 2 years, something like 7 coworker marriages took place (that's 14 people for the math-challenged). My understanding is that now, 25 years later, all but one couple are still married.

It is simple. Don't be an ass, and things tend to work out. Would I recommend people date at work? Typically, no. But that has absolutely NOTHING to do with workplace harassment. Nothing.
It's a fine line between dating and sexual harassment. The girl can claim the asking out on a date is harassment itself.

I never dipped my pen the company ink. There should be a line between work and home. I don't work people at home and vice versa.
BigDave
Party: Republican

Post by BigDave »

RiverguyVT wrote:something like 7 coworker marriages took place (that's 14 people for the math-challenged).
Well, these days, you never know.
Posted from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

It's a fine line between dating and sexual harassment.
No, it isn't.

Now, that doesn't mean I can't see the wisdom of ' the mike pence rule' either.

I could be car jacked this afternoon. That doesn't mean there's a fine line between picking up milk at Kroger, and violent crime.
Salute the Marines
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

RiverguyVT wrote:
It's a fine line between dating and sexual harassment.
No, it isn't.

Now, that doesn't mean I can't see the wisdom of ' the mike pence rule' either.

I could be car jacked this afternoon. That doesn't mean there's a fine line between picking up milk at Kroger, and violent crime.
Sexual harassment is all in the perception of the accuser. A woman can easily bring charges for asking her out, claiming she felt her job would be impacted by saying no.
TheH2

Post by TheH2 »

RiverguyVT wrote:Each of us has his own experience. I once worked in an office of approx 150 people. Within 2 years, something like 7 coworker marriages took place (that's 14 people for the math-challenged). My understanding is that now, 25 years later, all but one couple are still married.

Office dating should follow some rules:
Junior staff can date each other all they want. Not necessarily advised but people spend a lot of time together and of similar intellect. Makes sense. Understand that it could hurt your career at the company.
Should not date cross-level, i.e. if you are part of the decision making process you should not be dating people below you. Whether you have direct say of their careers or not.
If you are a little higher and have an opportunity to move up in the organization, understand that said relationship could hold you back. If it's serious, best for one of you to leave the company.
Don't be a dick.
People who know, know.