Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
HokieFanDC

Trump planning to move US Embassy in Israel to

Post by HokieFanDC »

a war zone he is about to create?

Good move.

What do ppl think is going to happen here?

1) Recognize Jerusalem as capital of Israel and move US Embassy to Jerusalem.
2) Recognize Jerusalem as capital of Israel and leave US Embassy in Tel Aviv.
3) Not recognize Jerusalem as capital of Israel and move US Embassy to Jerusalem.
4) Option D?
HokieHam
Location: Kicking over crayons in a safe space for libruls....

Re: Trump planning to move US Embassy in Israel to

Post by HokieHam »

"if you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face-forever."

ip believes you can dial in a 78 year old man who suffers from deminishing mental function
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

Yeah, move it. It belongs there.
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

HokieFanDC wrote:a war zone he is about to create?

Good move.

3) Not recognize Jerusalem as capital of Israel and move US Embassy to Jerusalem.
4) Option D?
I like it

Good move
A) It isn't "a war zone"
B) mohammedians don't need this particular fantasy appeasement
C) mohammedians are warmongers regardless, so why not take a principled stand?
So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

The peace process is already DOA. Nothing is ever going to be resolved in the ME until Israel ceases to exist, that's just the tenor of things with the Arab world. So why not go ahead and do the right thing.
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

RiverguyVT wrote:

Good move.

4) Option D?
I like it

Good move
A) It isn't "a war zone"
I didn't say it is a war zone. I said it's going to be. The Palestinians are likely to take some shots at West Jerusalem.
UpstateSCHokie

Post by UpstateSCHokie »

Apparently the Pope (who one would think understands the importance of Jerusalem to the Christian world) is outraged by this move. Another WTF moment from this Pope.

============================================

Awful. Pope Slams President Trump for Recognizing Jerusalem as Capital of Israel
by Jim Hoft 130 Comments

Outragous.

Pope Francis continues to plant himself on the wrong side of history once again.

On Wednesday Red Francis slammed US President Donald Trump for recognizing Jerusalem as the capital of Israel.

Francis is worried the Muslims may get violent.
He believes appeasement is the best policy.
Unreal.

Maybe he’s worried about his head.

Francis obviously needs to spend more time reading his Bible and less time appeasing radical Islam.

The Daily Mail reported:
Pope Francis has said he ‘cannot silence’ his ‘deep concern’ ahead of an announcement by US President Donald Trump in which officials said he will recognise the disputed city as Israel’s capital.

Trump is due on Wednesday to set in motion the relocation of the US Embassy to the Jerusalem, senior US officials said, upending decades of US policy and risking further violence in the Middle East.

In an appeal at the end of his weekly general audience, Francis called for all to honour United Nations resolutions on the city, which is sacred to Jews, Christians and Muslims.

‘I make a heartfelt appeal so that all commit themselves to respecting the status quo of the city, in conformity with the pertinent resolutions of the United Nations,’ he said.

The pope told thousands of people at his general audience: ‘I cannot keep quiet about my deep concern about the situation that has been created in the last few days.’
Of course, the only people who have a problem with the president’s decision are radical Muslims or far left hacks.

This pope wants to appease the Muslims.
What a failed leader.

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2017/12 ... al-israel/

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” ― Voltaire (1694 – 1778)
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

Good move.

4) Option D?
And as usual the MSM had a meltdown trigger moment. It does not matter what we or Israel does, until Israel and the humans that live there cease to exist, there will be problems
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Post by Major Kong »

I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

HokieFanDC wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:

Good move.

4) Option D?
I like it

Good move
A) It isn't "a war zone"
I didn't say it is a war zone. I said it's going to be. The Palestinians are likely to take some shots at West Jerusalem.
Situation normal
There is an app out there that one can download that rings every time there is a missile fired upon Israel. Most people uninstall it after just a few days, because the thing just rings all the time
Salute the Marines
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

RiverguyVT wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:

Good move.

4) Option D?
I like it

Good move
A) It isn't "a war zone"
Situation normal
There is an app out there that one can download that rings every time there is a missile fired upon Israel. Most people uninstall it after just a few days, because the thing just rings all the time
That's so 2014. Things have been pretty quiet for a while now.
TheH2

Post by TheH2 »

Good move.

4) Option D?
The U.S. embassy is on a nice plot of land. That alone is a good reason not to move it to Jerusalem. It would be outside the walls and not in what people consider Jerusalem. If you work at the embassy you have to hoping it doesn't move. You can only walk the Via Delorosa so many times before you wish you could be back at the beach. Stay where the people are.
People who know, know.
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

TheH2 wrote:

Good move.

4) Option D?
The U.S. embassy is on a nice plot of land. That alone is a good reason not to move it to Jerusalem. It would be outside the walls and not in what people consider Jerusalem. If you work at the embassy you have to hoping it doesn't move. You can only walk the Via Delorosa so many times before you wish you could be back at the beach. Stay where the people are.
I don't think the State Department's mission is to locate where employees want to be.
Salute the Marines
TheH2

Post by TheH2 »

RiverguyVT wrote:
TheH2 wrote:

Good move.

4) Option D?
I don't think the State Department's mission is to locate where employees want to be.
Go to the embassy and you'll agree. It has to be up there for one of the best embassies in the world.

Seems stupid to move the embassy, location aside. I don't see the benefit, other than to create some news stories. Look at me!
People who know, know.
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

TheH2 wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:
TheH2 wrote:

Good move.

4) Option D?
Go to the embassy and you'll agree. It has to be up there for one of the best embassies in the world.

Seems stupid to move the embassy, location aside. I don't see the benefit, other than to create some news stories. Look at me!
The vision of the blind.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

TheH2 wrote:

Good move.

4) Option D?
DoS will swap out embassy and consulates, putting embassy in Jerusalem and consulate in current space in Tel Aviv. New Embassy will need to be built in Jerusalem as the main consulate there is not up to current security standards and not large enough to serve all of the embassy functions. Not sure what you mean by "outside the walls"? Do you mean the Old City? That is a small, historic area so would never go there to begin with. The current consulate is in the modern city where all of the ease of public access exists. Not sure if they will keep the satellite consulate in east Jerusalem as that's dangerous territory, but likely will to serve Arabs, etc.
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

133743Hokie wrote:
TheH2 wrote:

Good move.

4) Option D?
DoS will swap out embassy and consulates, putting embassy in Jerusalem and consulate in current space in Tel Aviv. New Embassy will need to be built in Jerusalem as the main consulate there is not up to current security standards and not large enough to serve all of the embassy functions. Not sure what you mean by "outside the walls"? Do you mean the Old City? That is a small, historic area so would never go there to begin with. The current consulate is in the modern city where all of the ease of public access exists. Not sure if they will keep the satellite consulate in east Jerusalem as that's dangerous territory, but likely will to serve Arabs, etc.
H2 thinks it's going on top of the Temple Mount.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
miles

Post by miles »

Herr Pope is anti Jew, pro pedophile, pro homosexual, pro promiscuity among the priesthood, pro corruption, pro making happy with terrorists, anti Trump, and banking genius. He so infallible.
:evil:
TheH2

Post by TheH2 »

133743Hokie wrote:
TheH2 wrote:

Good move.

4) Option D?
Given my posts it should be pretty obvious I'm pretty familiar with the old city. That's what people think of as Jerusalem and what is being fought over. It's also shared space. There really isn't that much outside of it either. The livelihood of Israel is in Tel Aviv and the surrounding area.

What's the advantage of moving to Jerusalem? We have an embassy, fully functioning of course, not that far from Jerusalem.
People who know, know.
TheH2

Post by TheH2 »

miles wrote:Herr Pope is anti Jew, pro pedophile, pro homosexual, pro promiscuity among the priesthood, pro corruption, pro making happy with terrorists, anti Trump, and banking genius. He so infallible.
:evil:
Maybe they'll return the olive tree in the alleged room of the last supper to the Vatican.
People who know, know.
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

TheH2 wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
TheH2 wrote:

Good move.

4) Option D?
Given my posts it should be pretty obvious I'm pretty familiar with the old city. That's what people think of as Jerusalem and what is being fought over. It's also shared space. There really isn't that much outside of it either. The livelihood of Israel is in Tel Aviv and the surrounding area.

What's the advantage of moving to Jerusalem? We have an embassy, fully functioning of course, not that far from Jerusalem.
Having been there as well, including activity at the consulate, there is certainly more to the city of Jerusalem than the old city. The embassy needs to be accessible to the populace, so the old city is not the place. Israel recognizes Jerusalem as their capitol so it makes sense that the US does as well. Last, relocating our embassy there has nothing to do with denying access to the old city and religious sites for anyone. In fact that was actually addressed. I personally see this as a positive to incentivizing the Arab world.
Jack Galt
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: none of the above

Post by Jack Galt »

At least PUBLIC LAW 104 - 45 - JERUSALEM EMBASSY ACT OF 1995 will be executed beyond Section 7. It's interesting that people who fully supported the move are now against it because of the person who signed off on doing the thing they supported.
"Russia? The 1980s are now calling to ask for their foreign policy back because the Cold War’s been over for 20 years.” - B. Obama

USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

HokieFanDC wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:

Good move.

4) Option D?
I like it

Good move
A) It isn't "a war zone"
So no change....sounds good.

This is a great move. Besides being the rational choice, it serves as a litmus test for moderating Islamic states. Are they on the side of the US, or Iran and the PLO? Great diplomacy.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

TheH2 wrote: What's the advantage of moving to Jerusalem? We have an embassy, fully functioning of course, not that far from Jerusalem.
Think of it as quantitive easing, only with embassies. Now there's two!
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »