Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
BigDave
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Republican

Do liberals just not get it?

Post by BigDave »

http://thehill.com/policy/technology/36 ... tax-reform

So the liberal media says that (evil big corporation) Apple is going to save $47 billion in taxes under Trump's plan when they bring their overseas profits home.

But that's completely wrong - if not for the tax bill, they would leave their profits overseas and pay zero dollars in taxes.

They aren't paying $47 billion less in taxes - they will pay as much as $31 billion (if they were to bring home all of their profits) that they otherwise wouldn't be paying.

Having the higher tax rate means they pay zero.
Apple has signaled that it would only return half of its overseas profits back to the U.S. and of those, it would likely hand that money to its shareholders in the form of dividends and stock buybacks, instead of jobs and investment as members of the GOP claim.
And? I'm missing the problem. There's money in the hands of Americans. There are almost a billion shares outstanding for Apple and if they bring home half of their $252 billion, that's a huge infusion of capital into our economy.
Posted from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk
133743Hokie

Re: Do liberals just not get it?

Post by 133743Hokie »

Just like their saying taxes on the middle class will go up, without clarifying that it would be in 2026 when the tax changes expire (and they likely won't).
HokieHam
Location: Kicking over crayons in a safe space for libruls....

Post by HokieHam »

Just like ip, they will never “get it”.
"if you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face-forever."

ip believes you can dial in a 78 year old man who suffers from deminishing mental function
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

Liberals spit the word "corporation" with the highest disdain possible. Like Jerry saying "Newman!"
So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

BigDave wrote:http://thehill.com/policy/technology/36 ... tax-reform

So the liberal media says that (evil big corporation) Apple is going to save $47 billion in taxes under Trump's plan when they bring their overseas profits home.

But that's completely wrong - if not for the tax bill, they would leave their profits overseas and pay zero dollars in taxes.

They aren't paying $47 billion less in taxes - they will pay as much as $31 billion (if they were to bring home all of their profits) that they otherwise wouldn't be paying.

Apple has signaled that it would only return half of its overseas profits back to the U.S. and of those, it would likely hand that money to its shareholders in the form of dividends and stock buybacks, instead of jobs and investment as members of the GOP claim.
And? I'm missing the problem. There's money in the hands of Americans. There are almost a billion shares outstanding for Apple and if they bring home half of their $252 billion, that's a huge infusion of capital into our economy.
I don't get where the articlemis calling it evil. Those are facts.
WestEndHokie39

Post by WestEndHokie39 »

Remember- these are same people who frame a tax cut, which means American citizens keep more of their legally earned money, as a cut in government revenue. They also complain about a "cut" in federal programs if anyone proposes reduced future spending levels above the current level.
BigDave
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Republican

Post by BigDave »

HokieFanDC wrote:

No - those aren't the facts. That's the whole point. Apple isn't going to pay $47 billion less - they are going to pay up to $31 billion MORE.
Posted from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

BigDave wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:

No - those aren't the facts. That's the whole point. Apple isn't going to pay $47 billion less - they are going to pay up to $31 billion MORE.
The $47B is the difference between what they would pay if they brought their earnings back under the current tax plan ($78B) and what they would pay under the new tax plan ($31B). The new tax plan is going to tax those foreign dollars, regardless of where the companies keep the assets. They could have kept the corp. tax rate at 35% and made them pay taxes on it. Trump wanted 10%, instead of 14.5%.

The numbers came from the Financial Times, I don't see that as the "liberal media".
Again, I don't see anyone calling it evil.
Personally, I'm all for incenting them to bring the money back. Maybe wouldn't have gone as low as 14.5%, but not worth arguing about.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

never mind that if they dividend it or do stock buybacks both are very taxable events for the owners of the stock....... geez this country is stupid
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

HokieFanDC wrote:
BigDave wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:

The $47B is the difference between what they would pay if they brought their earnings back under the current tax plan ($78B) and what they would pay under the new tax plan ($31B). The new tax plan is going to tax those foreign dollars, regardless of where the companies keep the assets. They could have kept the corp. tax rate at 35% and made them pay taxes on it. Trump wanted 10%, instead of 14.5%.

The numbers came from the Financial Times, I don't see that as the "liberal media".
Personally, I'm all for incenting them to bring the money back. Maybe wouldn't have gone as low as 14.5%, but not worth arguing about.
Maybe you don't know everything, see this dumbass (that is me) can read. The article never says that the overseas profits will be taxed in the US, the point is as with everytime they talk about repatriating overseas profits that they will not bring them back into the USA without a lower tax rate. It would make zero sense to do so. Not sure where you get the US will be able to collect taxes on foreign profits, it is not part of any tax bill or our current system. Even if it was they would have to give them a credit for the taxes paid in the home (foreign) country. The point is (even this dumbass can figure it out) to have them recognize the profits in the USA thus giving the IRS tax dollars that they never would have seen. Now if they dividend the funds or buyback stock the money is still new money in the USA as the recepients owe tax on the dividends or capital gains on the stock. Partisan douchebaggery aside
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

cwtcr hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
BigDave wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:

Maybe you don't know everything, see this dumbass (that is me) can read. The article never says that the overseas profits will be taxed in the US, the point is as with everytime they talk about repatriating overseas profits that they will not bring them back into the USA without a lower tax rate. It would make zero sense to do so. Not sure where you get the US will be able to collect taxes on foreign profits, it is not part of any tax bill or our current system. Even if it was they would have to give them a credit for the taxes paid in the home (foreign) country. The point is (even this dumbass can figure it out) to have them recognize the profits in the USA thus giving the IRS tax dollars that they never would have seen. Now if they dividend the funds or buyback stock the money is still new money in the USA as the recepients owe tax on the dividends or capital gains on the stock. Partisan douchebaggery aside
Yawn. The Senate tax bill imposes a 14.5% tax on all current, deferred overseas profits. The House tax bill imposes a 14% tax on all current, deferred overseas profits. It's called deemed repatriation.

Here's a simple chart to get you up to speed.

http://www.micpa.org/docs/site/tax-refo ... f?sfvrsn=2
Vienna_Hokie
Alma Mater: VT
Party: libertarian

Post by Vienna_Hokie »

WestEndHokie39 wrote:

Remember- these are same people who frame a tax cut, which means American citizens keep more of their legally earned money, as a cut in government revenue. They also complain about a "cut" in federal programs if anyone proposes reduced future spending levels above the current level.
Actually, that is not correct, they call it a cut if the rate of increase in spending is reduced, not if the actual amount spent is reduced.
Looks like the only thing 1984 got wrong was the date.