Fully vaccinated, still not dead
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Re: Good riddance to Congressman Franks

Post by awesome guy »

nolanvt wrote:https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... 29e27b501d

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
First time you heard of him and are celebrating his departure. Tsk tsk
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
HokieJoe
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Eclectic

Post by HokieJoe »

Discussed surrogacy? Meh, sorta dumb, but I wouldn't call it harassment.
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
UpstateSCHokie

Post by UpstateSCHokie »

HokieJoe wrote:Discussed surrogacy? Meh, sorta dumb, but I wouldn't call it harassment.
Agreed. Doesn't seem like it's enough to warrant his resignation, but perhaps in this current climate of sexual harassment hysteria it is. But I wonder if there is more to it than this, and he's stepping down to prevent the rest of it coming out?

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” ― Voltaire (1694 – 1778)
nolanvt
Alma Mater: Marshall Univ.

Post by nolanvt »

HokieJoe wrote:Discussed surrogacy? Meh, sorta dumb, but I wouldn't call it harassment.
Depends on the context of the conversation to what extent harassment it was. It’s certainly creepy to ask your subordinate to be a surrogate and is generally unacceptable behavior. That’s why he’s resigning.

CFB Apologist

Post by CFB Apologist »

nolanvt wrote:
Depends on the context of the conversation to what extent harassment it was. It’s certainly creepy to ask your subordinate to be a surrogate and is generally unacceptable behavior. That’s why he’s resigning.

Definitely depends on the context, IMO. If they were having a simple conversation and he said his wife was unable to carry a child, and would she be interested in doing that- weird, but not sexual per se and not harassment- unless it was vulgar and repeated. I find it "weird" more than anything else.. The only way I could ask that would be as a joke and with a good friend type co worker.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

nolanvt wrote:

Balogney, unless he was making creepy passes at them (most people don't use the surrogate excuse) beside the fact that when you use a surrogate it is by artificial insemination. But these days anything can get your life destroyed, really stupid path we are taking

But as with every other case there needs to be some evidence as it is all speculation and who do you believe... psst.. people lie
nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

cwtcr hokie wrote:
nolanvt wrote:

Balogney, unless he was making creepy passes at them (most people don't use the surrogate excuse) beside the fact that when you use a surrogate it is by artificial insemination. But these days anything can get your life destroyed, really stupid path we are taking

But as with every other case there needs to be some evidence as it is all speculation and who do you believe... psst.. people lie
He shouldn’t resign if he’s done nothing wrong.

CFB Apologist

Post by CFB Apologist »

nolanvt wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
nolanvt wrote:

Yep... and I'm guessing since it was a subordinate and perhaps he asked it in a "sexual" way- like your body looks like it would make a good surrogate or "you have nice child bearing hips" etc.. I'm guessing the "tone" of it was in fact sexual/based on their bodies/looks or something.
Mcl3 Hokie

Post by Mcl3 Hokie »

This is from an article out of USAToday.

Franks said he had discussions "of surrogacy" with two of his "previous female subordinates" as he and his wife sought to have a third child. A surrogate delivered Franks' two older children.

So, maybe the conversations weren't so creepy.

CFB Apologist wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
nolanvt wrote:

Yep... and I'm guessing since it was a subordinate and perhaps he asked it in a "sexual" way- like your body looks like it would make a good surrogate or "you have nice child bearing hips" etc.. I'm guessing the "tone" of it was in fact sexual/based on their bodies/looks or something.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

nolanvt wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
nolanvt wrote:

maybe he does not want to be drug thru the mud, not worth it. He probably had some life before he went to congress, go back to it. People do things all the time when they are not guilty of anything....Does evidence mean anything to you. I saw you banging a goat the other day....so it has to to be true, I would not lie or anything, right?
HokieJoe
Party: Eclectic

Post by HokieJoe »

UpstateSCHokie wrote:
Agreed. Doesn't seem like it's enough to warrant his resignation, but perhaps in this current climate of sexual harassment hysteria it is. But I wonder if there is more to it than this, and he's stepping down to prevent the rest of it coming out?

Could be more than has been reported. If so, then he should have resigned. And truthfully, there aren't many good ways to broach the subject. I would suggest involving your wife in discussions involving the coworkers though.
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

HokieJoe wrote:
UpstateSCHokie wrote:

Could be more than has been reported. If so, then he should have resigned. And truthfully, there aren't many good ways to broach the subject. I would suggest involving your wife in discussions involving the coworkers though.
If he joked with them, then you see the problem. If he made a pass at them then that is between his wife and himself. Unless he did something to affect their employment where is the harassment. But we don't know what occurred but it is the overreaction this country is caught up in. Again, if jokes or trying to get into a relationship in the office gets everyone fired.... our unemployment rate is going to skyrocket or just stay far away from any female and do not talk with them
BigDave
Party: Republican

Post by BigDave »

As with all things, it depends on the context. Were they at a bar over drinks, the staffers were asking questions about how surrogacy works, and he said, "why, are you interested in being a surrogate"? Or did he call them into his office and say "I'm looking for a surrogate and I want you to do it"?

I'm imagining the truth is probably somewhere in between those two.

I'm imagining that if he is resigning, he probably did something more on the creepy side than on the innocent side.
Posted from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk
nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

Yeah, this is definitely appropriate...

https://www.apnews.com/ca905b7b6e264683832a038521f5353f

awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

nolanvt wrote:Yeah, this is definitely appropriate...

You really think that's harassment?
nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

awesome guy wrote:

Repeatedly asking your subordinate (who keeps saying no) to be a surrogate is inappropriate, yes.

cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

so that is sex harassment? did it affect her job? Did he do anything other than ask her and make an offer of payment (surrogates usually get paid to do the service I think)
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

nolanvt wrote:
awesome guy wrote:

Repeatedly asking your subordinate (who keeps saying no) to be a surrogate is inappropriate, yes.

4 or 5 times isn't inappropriate or harassment.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

nolanvt wrote:
awesome guy wrote:

Again, so we are to believe the account from one side? You have proof that he asked repeatedly or even the amount of payment? I am failing to see how the subordinate was harmed though? Saying no it not a traumatic event.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

cwtcr hokie wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
awesome guy wrote:

Again, so we are to believe the account from one side? You have proof that he asked repeatedly or even the amount of payment? I am failing to see how the subordinate was harmed though? Saying no it not a traumatic event.
Seems most similar to offering sidework. BFD.
nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

cwtcr hokie wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
awesome guy wrote:

Maybe he resigned because he didn’t anything wrong.

nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

awesome guy wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
awesome guy wrote:

4 or 5 times isn't inappropriate or harassment.
LOL! I love UWS!

HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

nolanvt wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
nolanvt wrote:

Disagree.
If he says he didn't do anything wrong, and fights it, he'll spend weeks/months having it talked about on national news, people calling him names, etc. Anyone with other job opportunities should seriously consider not putting up with the nonsense of today's environment. To me, it shows that he cares about his family a lot.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

nolanvt wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
awesome guy wrote:

Maybe he resigned because he didn’t anything wrong.

Because Ryan told him he's done.

Odd how you seem to think his actions are equivalent to when you're asking for semen deposits at the truck stop.