Egg McMuffin’s Secret Silicon Valley Donors

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

I'm going to guess that it's not Grimmace or the Hamburglar.
Evan McMullin’s Secret Silicon Valley Donors

Evan McMullin doesn’t want you to know who his donors are.

The failed Never Trump presidential candidate has stayed in the public eye as a sort of attack dog against President Trump and other Republicans, while keeping secret the names of the donors paying him to do so.

McMullin’s recently founded non-profit organization, Stand Up Republic, jumped into the Alabama Senate race this week with a $500,000 ad buy against Republican Senate candidate Roy Moore. One of the ads features a man saying Roy Moore “makes Republicans and us Christians look bad.”

The massive ad buy “may end up being one of the largest third-party interventions in the state,” according to the Washington Post.

McMullin’s ad campaign against Moore comes as President Trump and the Republican National Committee have jumped back into the campaign on Moore’s behalf.

At his rally Friday night in nearby Pensacola, Florida, Trump told Alabama Republicans to “go out and vote” for Moore. The Post reported McMullin’s massive ad buy the same day.

Because Stand Up Republic is classified as a 501(c)4 “social welfare” group, the organization is allowed to shield the identity of its donors from the public — unlike campaigns and super PACs, which are required by the IRS to disclose the identity of any donor over $200.

“Consistent with existing law, we do not publicly disclose any information about the identities of our donors,” the group’s website states.

Groups like Stand Up Republic are allowed to spend money in elections — which they are doing in Alabama — as long as their “primary” purpose isn’t overtly political. This generally requires spending less than half of the organization’s resources on political activities, although that rule can be difficult to enforce.

McMullin revealed in a tweet last August that his group had “about 4,000 donors across the country from both sides of the political spectrum and larger donors from Silicon Valley.”

One of McMullin’s large Silicon Valley donors is billionaire eBay founder Pierre Omidyar, who funded an anti-Trump super PAC during the presidential campaign.

Omidyar announced a $250,000 donation to Stand Up Republic in May through his organization, Democracy Fund. (Democracy Fund publicizes all its grants in the interest of transparency.)

Democracy Fund said the donation to Stand Up Republic was to support the group in “confronting and engaging in important work to protect the norms of our democracy and to push back against dangerous demagoguery in our politics.”

The identities of McMullin’s other “larger donors from Silicon Valley” remain a secret and he intends to keep it that way.

The Daily Caller made repeated attempts to get answers from Stand Up Republic.

TheDC requested an interview with McMullin and sent a list of questions asking for, if not the identities of Stand Up Republic’s donors, at least details such as how many of the group’s donors have passed certain benchmarks ranging from $1,000 to $1 million. That would at least provide insight into how much of McMullin’s funding is from grassroots supporters and how much is coming from the donor class. But Stand Up Republic declined all of TheDC’s requests.

McMullin, who woefully underperformed as a spoiler candidate, has managed to stay somewhat relevant by launching frenzied attacks on President Trump and his allies.

McMullin has repeatedly accused the president of being a traitor who is loyal to Russia over the United States, despite lacking any proof for that claim.

A month after the 2016 election, McMullin declared that “Donald Trump is not a loyal American and we should prepare for the next four years accordingly.”

He has maintained that line of attack on the president, and just last week claimed Trump “remains loyal” to Russia.

McMullin hasn’t just targeted Trump, though. He railed against Ed Gillepsie, the Republican candidate for governor in Virginia, for his tough-on-crime approach to gang violence.

McMullin, citing no evidence, claimed that Gillepsie was peddling “white nationalism,” and said that he was rooting for the Republican candidate to lose.

McMullin’s consistent, biting criticisms of the president and other Republicans have made him a semi-regular guest on MSNBC — but at the cost of disgusting some of the people who helped legitimize him.

Some of his former backers have issued public apologies for ever supporting him.

But even as McMullin alienates some of the few conservative allies he had, it remains unclear who is paying him to do so.

http://dailycaller.com/2017/12/10/evan- ... site-share

BigDave
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Republican

Re: Egg McMuffin’s Secret Silicon Valley Donors

Post by BigDave »

Some of his former backers have issued public apologies for ever supporting him.
BigDave formally apologizes for supporting McMullin in the past. I'm #NeverTrump, but McMullin is a Democrat in #NeverTrump GOP clothing. Campaigning against Gillespie - who bears no resemblance whatsoever to Trump and is a moderate's moderate - showed his true colors.
Posted from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

BigDave wrote:
BigDave formally apologizes for supporting McMullin in the past. I'm #NeverTrump, but McMullin is a Democrat in #NeverTrump GOP clothing. Campaigning against Gillespie - who bears no resemblance whatsoever to Trump and is a moderate's moderate - showed his true colors.
I think he’s worth a look for 2020

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
HokieHam
Location: Kicking over crayons in a safe space for libruls....

Post by HokieHam »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
BigDave wrote:

:lol:
"if you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face-forever."

ip believes you can dial in a 78 year old man who suffers from deminishing mental function
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

HokieHam wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
BigDave wrote:

??

With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
UpstateSCHokie

Post by UpstateSCHokie »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
BigDave wrote:

Running as the Democrat that he is, right?

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” ― Voltaire (1694 – 1778)
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

UpstateSCHokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
BigDave wrote:

I don’t get caught up in labels. He seems like a noble man.

cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
UpstateSCHokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
BigDave wrote:

It is rather obvious that liars would be noble people to you
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

cwtcr hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
UpstateSCHokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
BigDave wrote:

It is rather obvious that liars would be noble people to you
When has he lied?
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

I dunno. Former intelligence agency guy. Nowadays, my perception is that that would make him crooked and working against public interest in favor of ever more govt power. The intel agencies are to be considered completely corrupt, until we the people see otherwise.
So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

RiverguyVT wrote:
I dunno. Former intelligence agency guy. Nowadays, my perception is that that would make him crooked and working against public interest in favor of ever more govt power. The intel agencies are to be considered completely corrupt, until we the people see otherwise.
OK. I'm still going to give him a good look.
HokieJoe
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Eclectic

Post by HokieJoe »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
UpstateSCHokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
BigDave wrote:

He's a lying sack of shiite.
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

HokieJoe wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
UpstateSCHokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
BigDave wrote:

He's a lying sack of shiite.
Examples?

133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

RiverguyVT wrote:
Like with other government agencies, the issues are with those few at the top. The ones that interface regularly with administration personnel. Thsi isn't an agency wide issue. Those in the trenches just go about their job every day. they don't play politics.
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

133743Hokie wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:
Like with other government agencies, the issues are with those few at the top. The ones that interface regularly with administration personnel. Thsi isn't an agency wide issue. Those in the trenches just go about their job every day. they don't play politics.
Haha, right
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

awesome guy wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:
Haha, right
You really think that the normal FBI field agents have political agendas? All the analysts, tech, etc. at the Agency do? C'mon. It's one thing to think that politics has crept into the upper echelons, those at or near the top. But to think that the core workers are the same is nonsense. But I guess some people have such a dislike and distrust of the government that their imagination gets the better of them.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

133743Hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:
Haha, right
You really think that the normal FBI field agents have political agendas? All the analysts, tech, etc. at the Agency do? C'mon. It's one thing to think that politics has crept into the upper echelons, those at or near the top. But to think that the core workers are the same is nonsense. But I guess some people have such a dislike and distrust of the government that their imagination gets the better of them.
Some of them post here. The idea that anyone in DC is apolitical is silly, they all have agendas and are as biased as their bosses. It's a cultural issue across America and isn't limited to political appointees. The underlings all want to please those they report to as well.
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

awesome guy wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:
Haha, right
Some of them post here. The idea that anyone in DC is apolitical is silly, they all have agendas and are as biased as their bosses. It's a cultural issue across America and isn't limited to political appointees. The underlings all want to please those they report to as well.
That's nonsense. To think that agents in their day to day work are thinking about politics and motive is just absurd. Take the tin foil hat off. You please by doing your job, and that's what they do. Those at the top may squash, redirect or obfuscate, but the rank and file aren't involved in any of this. And there are no orders coming down from the top for them to do anything such as this as that is a paper trail ready to bite someone in the butt. The top just talk and collude among themselves, and the core staff are unwitting.
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

You really think that the normal FBI field agents have political agendas? All the analysts, tech, etc. at the Agency do? C'mon. It's one thing to think that politics has crept into the upper echelons, those at or near the top. But to think that the core workers are the same is nonsense. But I guess some people have such a dislike and distrust of the government that their imagination gets the better of them
That beltway is a tarbaby of leftist thought. It's another world (in a bad way).
I'll say this- the average rank/file guy's politics would likely be further right if HQ was in Dallas.
So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

133743Hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote: I dunno. Former intelligence agency guy. Nowadays, my perception is that that would make him crooked and working against public interest in favor of ever more govt power. The intel agencies are to be considered completely corrupt, until we the people see otherwise.
Haha, right
That's nonsense. To think that agents in their day to day work are thinking about politics and motive is just absurd. Take the tin foil hat off. You please by doing your job, and that's what they do. Those at the top may squash, redirect or obfuscate, but the rank and file aren't involved in any of this. And there are no orders coming down from the top for them to do anything such as this as that is a paper trail ready to bite someone in the butt. The top just talk and collude among themselves, and the core staff are unwitting.
Haha, yeah right. The top staffs downward to implement. That's how someone like Lois Lerner is still there. The government is full of Lois Lerners, even at the FBI, DHS, etc.
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

RiverguyVT wrote:
Yeah, noble isn't exactly the descriptor the CIA is looking for when they need someone to run drugs for the contras. In fact, I believe that psychopathy is a predominant trait for a covert agent.
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

awesome guy wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
Haha, right
Haha, yeah right. The top staffs downward to implement. That's how someone like Lois Lerner is still there. The government is full of Lois Lerners, even at the FBI, DHS, etc.[/quote]
Haha. Its clear you don't know how the government hires and how the day to day in these entities works. You think the upper echelon has any input on who is hired or who is assigned?

As to Lois Lerner, she was upper echelon so not sure about your point. The black helicopters are circling your house right now!
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

133743Hokie wrote: Haha. Its clear you don't know how the government hires and how the day to day in these entities works. You think the upper echelon has any input on who is hired or who is assigned?

As to Lois Lerner, she was upper echelon so not sure about your point. The black helicopters are circling your house right now!
Of course they do. I don't think you get it, the government is full of people like Hoof that are incapable of separating their politics from duties. I think you're confused as Hoof and the like typically have no power and so can't really act out the hate in their hearts. But once they do obtain power, they're another Lerner. They're all partisans working on their own ambitions. The honorable ones don't make it far up the ladder.
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

133743Hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:
Haha, right
This is how most of your political counterparts think. You support this line of thinking/paranoia.

Last edited by ip_law-hokie on Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

awesome guy wrote:
133743Hokie wrote: Haha. Its clear you don't know how the government hires and how the day to day in these entities works. You think the upper echelon has any input on who is hired or who is assigned?

Of course they do. I don't think you get it, the government is full of people like Hoof that are incapable of separating their politics from duties. I think you're confused as Hoof and the like typically have no power and so can't really act out the hate in their hearts. But once they do obtain power, they're another Lerner. They're all partisans working on their own ambitions. The honorable ones don't make it far up the ladder.
You may want to turn your lights out, the black helicopters are hovering overhead!
Tell me, are you afraid of your shadow too?