A lot of concern over at TSL about the death of Net...

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

A lot of concern over at TSL about the death of Net...

Post by Major Kong »

Neutrality.

A lot of discussion, most of it political, on both sides of the issue.

My only thought is Net Neutrality is only 2 years old in the US and things were "OK" before then but in that time streaming services have exploded...it will be interesting the things to come.

I get the feeling it will not be as bad as the some in the MSM are touting but I do see the potential for some shenanigans.
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

RiverguyVT

Re: A lot of concern over at TSL about the death of Net...

Post by RiverguyVT »

They go political so often over there, I wonder if Wll has ever considered setting up a page dedicated to political discussion.
So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.
TheH2

Post by TheH2 »

Major Kong wrote:Neutrality.

My only thought is Net Neutrality is only 2 years old in the US and things were "OK" before then but in that time streaming services have exploded...it will be interesting the things to come.

I get the feeling it will not be as bad as the some in the MSM are touting but I do see the potential for some shenanigans.
I thought net neutrality was one of the few things most of UWS agreed on.
People who know, know.
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

TheH2 wrote:

I think this issue will hurt the GOP in 2018.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
TheH2 wrote:

Meh. Prolly not
Salute the Marines
Jack Galt
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: none of the above

Post by Jack Galt »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
TheH2 wrote:

Why?
"Russia? The 1980s are now calling to ask for their foreign policy back because the Cold War’s been over for 20 years.” - B. Obama

HokieHam
Location: Kicking over crayons in a safe space for libruls....

Post by HokieHam »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
TheH2 wrote:

Yeah......hahaha.
"if you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face-forever."

ip believes you can dial in a 78 year old man who suffers from deminishing mental function
HokieJoe
Party: Eclectic

Post by HokieJoe »

HokieHam wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
TheH2 wrote:

Yeah......hahaha.

Every other thread on Reddit and various tech sites are alight with net neutrality stories. It will drive younger people out to vote. In that light it was a bad move politically IMO.
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

HokieJoe wrote:
HokieHam wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
TheH2 wrote:

Yeah......hahaha.

Every other thread on Reddit and various tech sites are alight with net neutrality stories. It will drive younger people out to vote. In that light it was a bad move politically IMO.
It’s a bad move in any light.

With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

HokieHam wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
TheH2 wrote:

Yeah......hahaha.
Let me know when you are ready to put your $$ where your mouth is.

CFB Apologist

Post by CFB Apologist »

"A lot" of discussion - from the same 7 regular posters they have now on the lounge
UpstateSCHokie

Post by UpstateSCHokie »

TheH2 wrote:

If you meant that we all agree that "net neutrality" (i.e. government regulation of the internet) is a bad thing, then yes we all agree. The internet was not broken before net neutrality was implemented. In fact, it was doing quite well.

What new innovation or break-out website have we got as a result of net neutrality?

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” ― Voltaire (1694 – 1778)
UpstateSCHokie

Post by UpstateSCHokie »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
TheH2 wrote:

Umm...have you not seen how amazing the entire economy is doing? I thought people vote with their pocket books? Or does that not apply when Republicans are in power?

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” ― Voltaire (1694 – 1778)
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

CFB Apologist wrote:

"A lot" of discussion - from the same 7 regular posters they have now on the lounge
I went over... what a joke.
Salute the Marines
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

Good discussion between MSNBC anchor and ex-FCC Chairman. Suffice to say the talking head was in over his head. The ex FCC Chair clarifies a few things for him.

http://dailycaller.com/2017/12/14/msnbc ... man-video/
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

UpstateSCHokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
TheH2 wrote:

Umm...have you not seen how amazing the entire economy is doing? I thought people vote with their pocket books? Or does that not apply when Republicans are in power?
I’m sure you guys will be fine.

RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

I wouldn't call the economy "amazing" just yet. However, net neutrality as an issue, a year from now, will probably be less on soccer mom voter minds than other things. We are an ADD nation, chasing shiny objects (Russia! Diet Coke!) and rarely focus on what really matters (debt).
Salute the Marines
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

RiverguyVT wrote:I wouldn't call the economy "amazing" just yet. However, net neutrality as an issue, a year from now, will probably be less on soccer mom voter minds than other things. We are an ADD nation, chasing shiny objects (Russia! Diet Coke!) and rarely focus on what really matters (debt).
Trump doesn’t appear to be doing well with soccer moms. His hateful fuel with Gillibrandt will hurt him, and elevate her. This is the best thing that’s ever happened to her.

HokieHam
Location: Kicking over crayons in a safe space for libruls....

Post by HokieHam »

RiverguyVT wrote:I wouldn't call the economy "amazing" just yet. However, net neutrality as an issue, a year from now, will probably be less on soccer mom voter minds than other things. We are an ADD nation, chasing shiny objects (Russia! Diet Coke!) and rarely focus on what really matters (debt).
Yup. This is a non issue except for mouth breathers living in their moms basements and will do zip in the coming midterms. The internet wasn’t broken before.........then government wanted to get involved.
"if you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face-forever."

ip believes you can dial in a 78 year old man who suffers from deminishing mental function
TheH2

Post by TheH2 »

Economy is doing just as well as it's done over the past few years.
People who know, know.
HokieJoe
Party: Eclectic

Post by HokieJoe »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
Trump doesn’t appear to be doing well with soccer moms. His hateful fuel with Gillibrandt will hurt him, and elevate her. This is the best thing that’s ever happened to her.

Gillibrand is a political prostitute so I'm not sure that's a good example.
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

HokieJoe wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:

Gillibrand is a political prostitute so I'm not sure that's a good example.
I don’t think that language would play well soccer moms either.

133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

TheH2 wrote:
Economy is doing just as well as it's done over the past few years.
Nice selective data capture! Who knew that over the prior 13 quarters Obama had 3 better quarters. But man, that rollercoaster dip of his can be a bitch.
BG Hokie

Post by BG Hokie »

CFB Apologist wrote:

LOL, as he posts on a board with half the regular posters as the Lounge.
BG Hokie

Post by BG Hokie »

HokieHam wrote:
Yup. This is a non issue except for mouth breathers living in their moms basements and will do zip in the coming midterms. The internet wasn’t broken before.........then government wanted to get involved.
It screws the consumer. But, yeah, go Republicans great job on this one!