So I'll actually go to a serious topic...

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
ElbertoHokie
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Independent

So I'll actually go to a serious topic...

Post by ElbertoHokie »

A hokie tennis player and guy I went to school with committed suicide on December 9th. He was a Virginia State Champion AAA tennis singles player and basically had it all. I'll post the stories here but always ask questions if someone you know suddenly changes behavior.

I didn't know Brent well later in life but he was in some classes with me in high school and I would run into him at VT when we were there together. Really damn tragic.

Read the bold paragraph at the top:

https://medium.com/@bescofield/tech-bro ... 6314f830ef

http://www.richmond.com/obituaries/wilk ... 234a2.html

It's not a 'phase'. Ask questions. A 'phase' can lead to this.

I might be hitting the age(30's) where suicide stuff starts to rise and it may be normal. But it's not normal to me and an inordinate amount of people I knew seem to be taking this route. I've not had the greatest 2017, but I've never thought of that sort of alternative. I can't imagine what it takes to get to that moment but it happens. So help those around you and notice. Maybe not intervene, but notice.
UpstateSCHokie

Re: So I'll actually go to a serious topic...

Post by UpstateSCHokie »

ElbertoHokie wrote:A hokie tennis player and guy I went to school with committed suicide on December 9th. He was a Virginia State Champion AAA tennis singles player and basically had it all. I'll post the stories here but always ask questions if someone you know suddenly changes behavior.

I didn't know Brent well later in life but he was in some classes with me in high school and I would run into him at VT when we were there together. Really damn tragic.

I might be hitting the age(30's) where suicide stuff starts to rise and it may be normal. But it's not normal to me and an inordinate amount of people I knew seem to be taking this route. I've not had the greatest 2017, but I've never thought of that sort of alternative. I can't imagine what it takes to get to that moment but it happens. So help those around you and notice. Maybe not intervene, but notice.
I don't know that suicide stuff becomes "normal" at any age. However, once I got into my 40s, I seem to be noticing more people that I knew in HS (not really close friends) that are dying for one reason or another. In most cases, it seems to be from an OD on drugs (not clear if intentional or not). I can think of one friend that committed suicide, but he had PTSD after serving in Iraq.

I did have a very close friend get murdered by her BF back in 2012. He stabbed her to death in bed while there newborn baby was lying in a crib right next to them. After that, he went into the other room and stuck and shotgun in his mouth and blew his brains out. Thankfully the baby was unharmed.

I also had another friend that moved out to LA after college that was murdered. This was about 20 years ago though. I was not nearly as close to her as the other girl, but its just kind of weird knowing 2 people that were murdered.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” ― Voltaire (1694 – 1778)
Bay_area_Hokie
Alma Mater: VT
Party: Surprise Party

Post by Bay_area_Hokie »

You know, I don’t know anyone who has done this since a kid in my high school did it. I think it is 10th or 11th on the list of leading causes of death in the US. I know I have read that but don’t know where.

Sorry to hear about your friend. [emoji53]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
“With God there are only individuals” - Philosopher Nicolas Gomez Davila
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

My best friend from VT committed suicide.

We had fallen out of regular contact, and now I regret that deeply, wondering if I could've helped. Thought of the guy often, just never called. I only found out approx 4 yrs after he'd done it. I was thinking about him one day, googled his name, and -bam!- there was his obit. I was crushed.

I called his sister. She explained that he had divorced, visitation with his children was severely restricted, and he just never got over it.

I still can hardly believe it. He was such a good guy.
So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

Guy I served with in the Navy killed himself. Messy break-up with his wife.
CFB Apologist

Post by CFB Apologist »

ElbertoHokie wrote:A hokie tennis player and guy I went to school with committed suicide on December 9th. He was a Virginia State Champion AAA tennis singles player and basically had it all. I'll post the stories here but always ask questions if someone you know suddenly changes behavior.

Your friend joining a sick, perverted cult led by a loser should have been the first clue to those close to him. Sorry to hear of his death, but that scenario- crazy cult member- is not random.
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

Sedona is lovely...but also a place with a high whackadoodle per capita quotient.
Salute the Marines
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

RiverguyVT wrote:Sedona is lovely...but also a place with a high whackadoodle per capita quotient.
I’d like to spend a weekend there, but a long flight for a few days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:Sedona is lovely...but also a place with a high whackadoodle per capita quotient.
I’d like to spend a weekend there, but a long flight for a few days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hiking around there is world class stuff.
Spend the week!
Salute the Marines