What's with all the fake news of Trump firing Mueller?

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
133743Hokie

Re: What's with all the fake news of Trump firing Mueller?

Post by 133743Hokie »

HokieFanDC wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
Ok. Now transpose this into your original proposition:

"Agreed, the idea that Trump would fire someone in an investigative role into his campaign folks is utterly ridiculous."

The idea that Trump would fire someone who's black is utterly ridiculous.

You've changed your argument.
That's a really, really long stretch, even for you.

You transposed the wrong part.
I don't think I did, but go ahead and show me.
Lazy.

First, my comment about firing someone who is black, vs. b/c they're black, was directed at the dopes who think there are no laws that deal with situations where it is and isn't legal to fire someone. That's a basic fact.

You took that and applied it to a statement about Trump possibly firing Mueller.
The proper transposition is "Trump can fire Mueller. Trump can't fire Mueller if Trump is firing Mueller b/c he's investigating Trump's team and doesn't like the results".
Actually, as the chief executive, Trump can fire anyone in the executive branch, period. There doesn't have to be a reason. And if there is, it doesn't matter. Ir is a power that the president has that can't be usurped or overruled. It cannot be deemed illegal.

The only recourse to his actions is congress and the ability to impeach. But there is no legal recourse.
Ummm yeah, I never said he could be convicted of it. That doesn't mean it isn't illegal. And of course, he could be impeached.
No, it isn't illegal. That's the point. He could not be charged with a crime.
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

133743Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
That's a really, really long stretch, even for you.

You transposed the wrong part.
I don't think I did, but go ahead and show me.
Lazy.

First, my comment about firing someone who is black, vs. b/c they're black, was directed at the dopes who think there are no laws that deal with situations where it is and isn't legal to fire someone. That's a basic fact.

You took that and applied it to a statement about Trump possibly firing Mueller.
The proper transposition is "Trump can fire Mueller. Trump can't fire Mueller if Trump is firing Mueller b/c he's investigating Trump's team and doesn't like the results".
Actually, as the chief executive, Trump can fire anyone in the executive branch, period. There doesn't have to be a reason. And if there is, it doesn't matter. Ir is a power that the president has that can't be usurped or overruled. It cannot be deemed illegal.

The only recourse to his actions is congress and the ability to impeach. But there is no legal recourse.
Ummm yeah, I never said he could be convicted of it. That doesn't mean it isn't illegal. And of course, he could be impeached.
OK, I'm not going to argue about the technicality of it, that's not really that important IMO.
If the POTUS does something that would be illegal for a normal citizen to do, and can't be criminally charged solely b/c of his position, he is still doing something wrong, and I would think most people would have an issue with that.
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

HokieFanDC wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote: I don't think I did, but go ahead and show me.
Lazy.

OK, I'm not going to argue about the technicality of it, that's not really that important IMO.
If the POTUS does something that would be illegal for a normal citizen to do, and can't be criminally charged solely b/c of his position, he is still doing something wrong, and I would think most people would have an issue with that.
Unless you are in the tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

HokieFanDC wrote:
133743Hokie wrote: No, it isn't illegal. That's the point. He could not be charged with a crime.
HFDC land, where illegality (the core of this argument) is just a "technicality". :lol:
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

HokieFanDC wrote: LOL. WADR, you don't have it right. This is the part where you say the same thing you always say, but can't actually explain what you're accusing me of. I'm also not sure you know what the word "lie" means.
You got it wrong, I told you the right way to do it. You're interpretation of what I'm saying has no bearing on anything.

It's very, very simple. Let's take the word Trump out of it.

Since the Nixon days, the common understanding is that the a sitting POTUS cannot be criminally prosecuted.
The one and only reason for that line of reasoning is that the POTUS is the chief law enforcement, and is essentially above the law.
IMO, and maybe you have a different one, if the POTUS does something that would be illegal for me to do, that person has broken the law, and has done something illegal. The loophole that the POTUS can't be criminally prosecuted, doesn't mean that he hasn't broken the law.

And following that, the POTUS can be impeached for charges that an investigator, special counsel, etc., file against the POTUS, even if they can't be criminally prosecuted.

That's it, I don't see what's so difficult about that.
....nope.

You said that Trump couldn't legally fire Mueller depending on the circumstances using the terrible analogy of firing a black person because they're black.

You should seriously just stop.