Re: House passed tax reform. Senate up to bat

Post by 133743Hokie »

HokieFanDC wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
what does that mean? if you want to give the feds more tax dollars, send them a check. It is hilarious that people protest tax cuts. Is this the reverse boston tea party?
We've already been through this. The people who are going to be hardest hit are the ones that are poor, and live in poor states who rely on fed tax dollars.
Not true at all. Low income, and second quintile are getting a grew deal on this tax plan.
Most estimates I've seen show that low income people will get <$100 in tax cuts, and when you take away the individual mandate, many states are going to get demolished on healthcare.
Most estimates show low income families in the &750 range, and those just above at about $1,000.
You keep saying low income, I said poor. I'm talking about households making <$20k. Maybe that's extremely low income. They are going to have more expensive healthcare and still pay the same in taxes, and receive about the same credits, if they qualify.
It's going to hurt them in the pocketbooks. Long term, it's probably the right thing to do, but ppl should at least be aware of the impact. I'm not sure most people supporting it (which is a very small %), really know what it's going to do to them.
Their healthcare is subsidized so it isn't going up. With the increase in the standard deduction and child tax credit they will pay less, in fact many will get money back on the child tax credit even if they didn't pay. The poor are benefiting.
Last edited by 133743Hokie on Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
UpstateSCHokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
UpstateSCHokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
Most estimates I've seen show that low income people will get <$100 in tax cuts, and when you take away the individual mandate, many states are going to get demolished on healthcare.
What part of low-income people don't pay any taxes don't you understand? It's pretty hard to get a f****** tax cut when you get a check from the government every year.
I read an article on NBC “reporting” on this tax bill. It focused on nonsense like “Trumps family will benefit from this bill.” Stuff that whips liberals into a rabid frenzy.

It also gave the VERY misleading stat that half of the tax cuts will go to the top 10%. What they did not report is what percent of total federal taxes are paid by the top 10%.

Then they turn around and tout polls they show a magority of Americans don’t like the bill. Well when all they report is fake news, what did they expect? Low infos have been fed a pack of lies and misinformation so they don’t like it.
What part of that is fake?

Just because it doesn't present what YOU want it to, doesn't make it fake. I doubt that many people are going to all of a sudden favor the tax bill if you told them that the top 10% pay 70% of taxes and earn 47% of income. Now, maybe if you JUST told them about the 70% part, they would. But, that would be misleading and fake, no?
Tell them the whole story. At least they would be armed with all the information, and if they still want to be mad then fine. But NBC was just cherry picking information to mislead their reader into believing that this is just a sop to the rich. That is fake news.
1.5T in increased deficits is enough for me. Horrible bill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Then get you democrat friends to reduce spending. On that's right, they wont do it.
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

ip_law-hokie wrote: 1.5T in increased deficits is enough for me. Horrible bill.

Tax cuts don't create deficits.
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

133743Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
We've already been through this. The people who are going to be hardest hit are the ones that are poor, and live in poor states who rely on fed tax dollars.
Not true at all. Low income, and second quintile are getting a grew deal on this tax plan.
Most estimates show low income families in the &750 range, and those just above at about $1,000.
You keep saying low income, I said poor. I'm talking about households making <$20k. Maybe that's extremely low income. They are going to have more expensive healthcare and still pay the same in taxes, and receive about the same credits, if they qualify.
It's going to hurt them in the pocketbooks. Long term, it's probably the right thing to do, but ppl should at least be aware of the impact. I'm not sure most people supporting it (which is a very small %), really know what it's going to do to them.
Their healthcare is subsidized so it isn't going up. With the increase in the standard deduction and child tax credit they will pay less, in fact many will get money back on the child tax credit even if they didn't pay. The poor are benefiting.
Pretty sure the healthcare subsidy payments were stopped in Oct. Did I miss them being reinstated?
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

Mcl3 Hokie wrote:You must have been devastated when the Bush/Obama tax cuts became permanent. Those cuts cost approximately $300MM per year in tax revenue. Every penny of that went into the deficit.
ip_law-hokie wrote:
UpstateSCHokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
UpstateSCHokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote: What part of low-income people don't pay any taxes don't you understand? It's pretty hard to get a f****** tax cut when you get a check from the government every year.
I read an article on NBC “reporting” on this tax bill. It focused on nonsense like “Trumps family will benefit from this bill.” Stuff that whips liberals into a rabid frenzy.

It also gave the VERY misleading stat that half of the tax cuts will go to the top 10%. What they did not report is what percent of total federal taxes are paid by the top 10%.

Then they turn around and tout polls they show a magority of Americans don’t like the bill. Well when all they report is fake news, what did they expect? Low infos have been fed a pack of lies and misinformation so they don’t like it.

Just because it doesn't present what YOU want it to, doesn't make it fake. I doubt that many people are going to all of a sudden favor the tax bill if you told them that the top 10% pay 70% of taxes and earn 47% of income. Now, maybe if you JUST told them about the 70% part, they would. But, that would be misleading and fake, no?
Tell them the whole story. At least they would be armed with all the information, and if they still want to be mad then fine. But NBC was just cherry picking information to mislead their reader into believing that this is just a sop to the rich. That is fake news.
1.5T in increased deficits is enough for me. Horrible bill.

I didn’t support the Bush tax cuts either.

With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

ip_law-hokie wrote: I didn’t support the Bush tax cuts either.

You're always talking about how you love Denmark. The Republican tax bill puts our corporate tax rates on par with theirs.
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

HokieFanDC wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
Pretty sure the healthcare subsidy payments were stopped in Oct. Did I miss them being reinstated?
No, you just didn't understand what was going on at that time. The individual subsides, I.e. that portion of your premium that the govt pays for you didn't go away. The loss offset that the dems promised the insurance carriers to make them whole, is in question. The repubs say it is illegal as it was not originated or passed by the house. I believe the issue is in the courts right now. The insurance companies baked this into their 2018 premiums.
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

133743Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
133743Hokie wrote: Not true at all. Low income, and second quintile are getting a grew deal on this tax plan.
No, you just didn't understand what was going on at that time. The individual subsides, I.e. that portion of your premium that the govt pays for you didn't go away. The loss offset that the dems promised the insurance carriers to make them whole, is in question. The repubs say it is illegal as it was not originated or passed by the house. I believe the issue is in the courts right now. The insurance companies baked this into their 2018 premiums.
So, premiums were raised on everyone (except low income) to cover the reduction in insurance subsidies. Makes sense, thx.
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

HokieFanDC wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
So, premiums were raised on everyone (except low income) to cover the reduction in insurance subsidies. Makes sense, thx.
That's just the internal failure of Obama care. Completely unrelated to taxes. Obama initiated an illegal loss offset to the insurance companies by fiat. Trump stopped it, or is trying to. So thank Obama, Pelosi and Reid for the shirtburger ACA.
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

133743Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
133743Hokie wrote: Their healthcare is subsidized so it isn't going up. With the increase in the standard deduction and child tax credit they will pay less, in fact many will get money back on the child tax credit even if they didn't pay. The poor are benefiting.
That's just the internal failure of Obama care. Completely unrelated to taxes. Obama initiated an illegal loss offset to the insurance companies by fiat. Trump stopped it, or is trying to. So thank Obama, Pelosi and Reid for the shirtburger ACA.
I thank them every month when I pay more monthly now than I paid in a year 10 years ago.
HokieJoe
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Eclectic

Post by HokieJoe »

UpstateSCHokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
UpstateSCHokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
What part of low-income people don't pay any taxes don't you understand? It's pretty hard to get a f****** tax cut when you get a check from the government every year.

Yup.
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson