Did you guys see the supremely awesome WH prayer y'day?

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
UpstateSCHokie

Did you guys see the supremely awesome WH prayer y'day?

Post by UpstateSCHokie »

President Trump and Dr. Ben Carson invited the press to stay after a Q&A session for a prayer. You gotta watch it to truly appreciate it. And no, I don't expect the Unusuals here to appreciate it, but normal people will.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQDzCbAHwFY

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” ― Voltaire (1694 – 1778)
RiverguyVT

Re: Did you guys see the supremely awesome WH prayer y'day?

Post by RiverguyVT »

Interesting body language, imho, on trump’s part.
Very strange photo event.
So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Post by Major Kong »

They shouldn't be doing that on gubment property.

I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

nolanvt
Alma Mater: Marshall Univ.

Post by nolanvt »

A little bizarre, but whatever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fully vaccinated, still not dead
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

This was weird as heck.
Yeah. I already posted as much but it beats repeating and emphasizing.
Salute the Marines
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

UpstateSCHokie wrote:President Trump and Dr. Ben Carson invited the press to stay after a Q&A session for a prayer. You gotta watch it to truly appreciate it. And no, I don't expect the Unusuals here to appreciate it, but normal people will.
I'll bite, what was supremely awesome about it?

Was it the belittling of the press in the room, just before the prayer?
Was it that the prayer was done mostly praising Trump, not God?
Was it that Ben Carson has forgiven Trump for questioning his religion, saying he had a pathological temper, and belittling him during the campaign?

I'm pretty sure normal people won't get it, but happy to here what you have to say.
UpstateSCHokie

Post by UpstateSCHokie »

It was awesome for a host of reasons:

1) Just to have Trump ask the press to stay for a prayer is awesome in and of itself. Its like showing the Crucifix to Dracula.
2) Then he tells them that they need it more than he does.
3) Then Carson's prayer was spot on - and it was to "our heavenly father" so it could apply to all major religions.
4) The parts of the prayer that praised congress for unity, and hoped that the unity would spread to the Democrats.
5) When Carson asked for guidance during this time of discord, distrust, and dishonesty, he was directing that right at the press.

It was shot at the press while performing an act that the press could not stand. I loved it!

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” ― Voltaire (1694 – 1778)
miles

Post by miles »

UpstateSCHokie wrote:It was awesome for a host of reasons:

1) Just to have Trump ask the press to stay for a prayer is awesome in and of itself. Its like showing the Crucifix to Dracula.
3) Then Carson's prayer was spot on - and it was to "our heavenly father" so it could apply to all major religions.
4) The parts of the prayer that praised congress for unity, and hoped that the unity would spread to the Democrats.
5) When Carson asked for guidance during this time of discord, distrust, and dishonesty, he was directing that right at the press.

It was shot at the press while performing an act that the press could not stand. I loved it!
All that plus the crap load filling up HokieFanDC's pants. :D
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

UpstateSCHokie wrote:It was awesome for a host of reasons:

That's pretty much what I thought. Childish antics that demean the meaning and purpose of prayer. Not surprising at all.
HvilleHokie

Post by HvilleHokie »

So... the prayer was what you would expect from a man who uses religion to further political goals. The religion that professes humility and claims in the beatitudes that the meek shall inherit the earth.

But was especially weird was trump inviting pence to praise him after the prayer. That was downright uncomfortable and bizarre.
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

HvilleHokie wrote:So... the prayer was what you would expect from a man who uses religion to further political goals. The religion that professes humility and claims in the beatitudes that the meek shall inherit the earth.

But was especially weird was trump inviting pence to praise him after the prayer. That was downright uncomfortable and bizarre.
Uh huh.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

RiverguyVT wrote:This was weird as heck.
Yeah. I already posted as much but it beats repeating and emphasizing.
not supremely awesome?
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

HvilleHokie wrote:So... the prayer was what you would expect from a man who uses religion to further political goals. The religion that professes humility and claims in the beatitudes that the meek shall inherit the earth.

Trump's church reinterpreted the Bible to say God's good with all that. It's cool.
HvilleHokie

Post by HvilleHokie »

USN_Hokie wrote:

Trump's church reinterpreted the Bible to say God's good with all that. It's cool.
Trump does claim to be Presbyterian... which is the church I belong to.
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

HvilleHokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

There ya go, same relationship with God.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

HvilleHokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

I knew you'd say that!

(/faith nerd Presbyterian joke)
Salute the Marines
ElbertoHokie
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Independent

Post by ElbertoHokie »

UpstateSCHokie wrote:President Trump and Dr. Ben Carson invited the press to stay after a Q&A session for a prayer. You gotta watch it to truly appreciate it. And no, I don't expect the Unusuals here to appreciate it, but normal people will.

Isn't this precisely where politics have gone wrong in this country? The opposing sides each get more pleasure out of making the other miserable than actually succeeding at anything. Dems call republicans uneducated rednecks and the left is a bunch of bleeding heart liberal snowflakes.
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

HvilleHokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

I knew you'd say that!

Salute the Marines
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

RiverguyVT wrote:
HvilleHokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

I knew you'd say that!

You've identified yourself as an Unusual in this thread. welcome aboard.
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

That clip was some weird stuff!!
Salute the Marines
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

HvilleHokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

Everything is coming together now.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

ElbertoHokie wrote:

Isn't this precisely where politics have gone wrong in this country? The opposing sides each get more pleasure out of making the other miserable than actually succeeding at anything. Dems call republicans uneducated rednecks and the left is a bunch of bleeding heart liberal snowflakes.
This has gone on as long as politics have existed in the world.
HooFighter
Party: all the time

Post by HooFighter »

I wonder if Ben Carson prayed for expensive office furniture.

Donald Trump is a stupid man's idea of a smart man, a poor man's idea of a rich man, and a weak man's idea of a strong man.
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

HooFighter wrote:I wonder if Ben Carson prayed for expensive office furniture.
Sounds about right.