Be Civil. Go Hokies.
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Re: So, latest DOJ statistics show that non-citizens commit

Post by USN_Hokie »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:Can't believe the unusuals are arguing that illegals don't commit more crime....wait, yes I can.
Why do you think illegals commit more crimes?

A lot of people probably believe it based on meaningless extrapolation like the one in this thread.
Assuming you have some facts that are accurate that back up your claim. Please go ahead and tell us how you've come to your conclusion.
Threads like this are why everyone knows you're a flaming liberal.

I also enjoy how you disregard facts/statistics presented to you, respond with baseless conjecture, then demand that anyone who disagrees with you present facts. :lol:

Seriously, this is a joke.
So no facts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You're correct - DC has presented no facts.
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

USN_Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:Can't believe the unusuals are arguing that illegals don't commit more crime....wait, yes I can.

A lot of people probably believe it based on meaningless extrapolation like the one in this thread.
Assuming you have some facts that are accurate that back up your claim. Please go ahead and tell us how you've come to your conclusion.

I also enjoy how you disregard facts/statistics presented to you, respond with baseless conjecture, then demand that anyone who disagrees with you present facts. :lol:

So no facts.

Sure I did. The fact is that the data presented is federal crimes only. Federal crimes represent ~10% of all crimes committed. So, using federal crime states as a proxy for all crimes is not meaningful, so the assertion that this data proves that illegal aliens commit more crimes on average than US citizens, is false.

Here's a study done on the crime rates of illegal immigrants, immigrants, and US born citizens. It's full of facts.
Feel free to provide some other research data that comes to a different conclusion.

https://www.cato.org/publications/immig ... -countries

https://www.cato.org/blog/immigration-m ... immigrants
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

HokieFanDC wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:

So no facts.

Sure I did. The fact is that the data presented is federal crimes only. Federal crimes represent ~10% of all crimes committed. So, using federal crime states as a proxy for all crimes is not meaningful, so the assertion that this data proves that illegal aliens commit more crimes on average than US citizens, is false.

Here's a study done on the crime rates of illegal immigrants, immigrants, and US born citizens. It's full of facts.
Feel free to provide some other research data that comes to a different conclusion.

1. No, you presented no facts to support your argument that illegals commit the same/less crime than citizens.

2. No, the data isn't meaningless. It has limitations, and that limitation is clearly stated in the DoJ report.

3. You present me with an article ("study") written by someone who immigrated here illegally and works for openborders.org and a blog citing the same study. Ok. :roll: :lol:

Let's use their data for one example, though:
Illegal immigrant incarceration rates are not well studied, although one investigation estimated that 4.6 percent of Texas inmates are illegal immigrants while illegal immigrants comprise 6.3 percent of that state’s total population.7
The author uses this to argue that illegals commit crime at a lower rate than citizens. The lie here (and in almost all these pro-illegal immigration propaganda pieces) is that while the illegal immigrant population is roughly equal between men and women, 91.4% of the prison population is male.

So, if 6.3% of Texas' population are illegals and illegals are representative of the citizen population, we would only expect illegals to make up 3.15% of the prison population. Since they actually make up 4.6 percent of the prison population, that means illegals are incarcerated at a rate 46% greater than the general population of the state of Texas....using your own numbers by your open borders propaganda piece.

Have a nice day.

PS - the other cardinal sin this "study" makes is a conflation between immigrant and illegal immigrants. Legal immigrants damn well better be committing less crime.
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote: Why do you think illegals commit more crimes?

So no facts.

1. No, you presented no facts to support your argument that illegals commit the same/less crime than citizens.

2. No, the data isn't meaningless. It has limitations, and that limitation is clearly stated in the DoJ report.

3. You present me with an article ("study") written by someone who immigrated here illegally and works for openborders.org and a blog citing the same study. Ok. :roll: :lol:

Illegal immigrant incarceration rates are not well studied, although one investigation estimated that 4.6 percent of Texas inmates are illegal immigrants while illegal immigrants comprise 6.3 percent of that state’s total population.7
The author uses this to argue that illegals commit crime at a lower rate than citizens. The lie here (and in almost all these pro-illegal immigration propaganda pieces) is that while the illegal immigrant population is roughly equal between men and women, 91.4% of the prison population is male.

So, if 6.3% of Texas' population are illegals and illegals are representative of the citizen population, we would only expect illegals to make up 3.15% of the prison population. Since they actually make up 4.6 percent of the prison population, that means illegals are incarcerated at a rate 46% greater than the general population of the state of Texas....using your own numbers by your open borders propaganda piece.

Have a nice day.

PS - the other cardinal sin this "study" makes is a conflation between immigrant and illegal immigrants. Legal immigrants damn well better be committing less crime.
For #1, I didn't make that claim in my original post. What I said was, "The stats he used are specifically federal sentencing stats, not overall crime stats. Federal crimes make up something like 10% of all crimes. Unless he's using some newly created dataset, he's extrapolating federal crime rates across all crimes." I didn't say anything about overall crimes in my first post. You're the one who brought that into the discussion, with no facts to support it. You still haven't presented any facts to support the claim you made. Strange that you are in a snit about me not providing facts to back up a claim about the overall level of illegal immigrant crime, yet you're the one who is guilty of what you are in a snit about.

For #2, the DOJ report says the exact same thing that I said about the data, which makes any claims about overall crimes, using that as a baseline, meaningless. The DOJ report agrees with me and they aren't making any claims about overall crime, only discussing federal crime.

And the Tucker Carlson bit that numbersHokie was referring to, made the same mistake that everyone who tries to extrapolate federal data to state and local crimes. It's disingenuous to call using a dataset that consists of only 10% of crimes, and a dataset that is by nature, skewed to have more illegal aliens included, a limitation.

And for #3, there is an actual study, not an article. And there are 2 authors. The other one is a highly respected immigration policy analyst. The fact that the other author is an illegal alien is not really relevant, unless you are going to say that bias in a data study nullifies the study. If you're going to go with that tactic, you're going to have a hard time finding any study on the subject that meets your standard. The only other study that I've seen is the one done by the Sentencing Project.

Your comment about conflating legal and illegal immigrants isn't true, they are looked at separately in the Cato study.

I'll just take your word on the Texas data, since you don't provide any source for it. I'll just trust your unbiased claims. :roll:
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

HokieFanDC wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:[

So no facts.

Have a nice day.

For #1, I didn't make that claim in my original post. What I said was, "The stats he used are specifically federal sentencing stats, not overall crime stats. Federal crimes make up something like 10% of all crimes. Unless he's using some newly created dataset, he's extrapolating federal crime rates across all crimes." I didn't say anything about overall crimes in my first post. You're the one who brought that into the discussion, with no facts to support it. You still haven't presented any facts to support the claim you made. Strange that you are in a snit about me not providing facts to back up a claim about the overall level of illegal immigrant crime, yet you're the one who is guilty of what you are in a snit about.

For #2, the DOJ report says the exact same thing that I said about the data, which makes any claims about overall crimes, using that as a baseline, meaningless. The DOJ report agrees with me and they aren't making any claims about overall crime, only discussing federal crime.

And the Tucker Carlson bit that numbersHokie was referring to, made the same mistake that everyone who tries to extrapolate federal data to state and local crimes. It's disingenuous to call using a dataset that consists of only 10% of crimes, and a dataset that is by nature, skewed to have more illegal aliens included, a limitation.

And for #3, there is an actual study, not an article. And there are 2 authors. The other one is a highly respected immigration policy analyst. The fact that the other author is an illegal alien is not really relevant, unless you are going to say that bias in a data study nullifies the study. If you're going to go with that tactic, you're going to have a hard time finding any study on the subject that meets your standard. The only other study that I've seen is the one done by the Sentencing Project.

Your comment about conflating legal and illegal immigrants isn't true, they are looked at separately in the Cato study.

I'll just take your word on the Texas data, since you don't provide any source for it. I'll just trust your unbiased claims. :roll:
1. You're arguing against some Tucker Carlson bit I haven't seen. I'm talking about the DOJ report.
2. No, it's a white paper written by an illegal immigration advocate. That's OK though, I used his own figures to prove the opposite conclusion that he did.
3. Any discussion of legal immigrant crime is a distraction from the real issue.
4. My source was your own damn link, nit wit.
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

HokieFanDC wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:

So no facts.

The Cato Institute studies have been debunked numerous times though.
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
So no facts.

Have a nice day.

1. You're arguing against some Tucker Carlson bit I haven't seen. I'm talking about the DOJ report.
2. No, it's a white paper written by an illegal immigration advocate. That's OK though, I used his own figures to prove the opposite conclusion that he did.
3. Any discussion of legal immigrant crime is a distraction from the real issue.
4. My source was your own damn link, nit wit.
You're still the one claiming illegal immigrants have higher levels of crime than citizens, with no facts to back up your claim.
And I was talking about your claim about % of men/women, and however you came up with the 46%.

So moving on from your inability to back up your claim, what is the real issue? Seems more important to discuss that.
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

133743Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:

So no facts.

The Cato Institute studies have been debunked numerous times though.
Haven't seen that debunking, and certainly haven't seen any numbers that can back up the claim about illegals and more crime. If anything, the only answer is "we don't know".
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

Apparently, Cato relied on data which required self-reporting of crime.

http://www.heritage.org/immigration/com ... al-problem

More, from my link:

The findings in the second report are even more disturbing. It reviewed the criminal histories of 55,322 aliens in federal or state prisons and local jails who “entered the country illegally.” Those illegal aliens were arrested 459,614 times, an average of 8.3 arrests per illegal alien, and committed almost 700,000 criminal offenses, an average of roughly 12.7 offenses per illegal alien.

The 2011 GAO report is more of the same. The criminal histories of 251,000 criminal aliens showed that they had committed close to three million criminal offenses. Sixty-eight percent of those in federal prison and 66 percent of those in state prisons were from Mexico. Their offenses ranged from homicide and kidnapping to drugs, rape, burglary, and larceny.

Once again, these statistics are not fully representative of crimes committed by illegal aliens — this report only reflects the criminal histories of aliens who were in prison. If there were a way to include all crimes committed by criminal aliens, the numbers would likely be higher since prosecutors often drop criminal charges against an illegal alien if immigration authorities will deport the alien.
So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

HokieFanDC wrote: You're still the one claiming illegal immigrants have higher levels of crime than citizens, with no facts to back up your claim.
And I was talking about your claim about % of men/women, and however you came up with the 46%.

So moving on from your inability to back up your claim, what is the real issue? Seems more important to discuss that.
A already did, using your own link no less.

It's basic math extrapolated from the fact that 91.4% of inmates are male. Do you need me to whip out finger puppets?
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

RiverguyVT wrote:Apparently, Cato relied on data which required self-reporting of crime.

http://www.heritage.org/immigration/com ... al-problem

More, from my link:

The findings in the second report are even more disturbing. It reviewed the criminal histories of 55,322 aliens in federal or state prisons and local jails who “entered the country illegally.” Those illegal aliens were arrested 459,614 times, an average of 8.3 arrests per illegal alien, and committed almost 700,000 criminal offenses, an average of roughly 12.7 offenses per illegal alien.

The 2011 GAO report is more of the same. The criminal histories of 251,000 criminal aliens showed that they had committed close to three million criminal offenses. Sixty-eight percent of those in federal prison and 66 percent of those in state prisons were from Mexico. Their offenses ranged from homicide and kidnapping to drugs, rape, burglary, and larceny.

Once again, these statistics are not fully representative of crimes committed by illegal aliens — this report only reflects the criminal histories of aliens who were in prison. If there were a way to include all crimes committed by criminal aliens, the numbers would likely be higher since prosecutors often drop criminal charges against an illegal alien if immigration authorities will deport the alien.
The Cato study used other datasets, like the Texas one, to try and get a more more meaningful representation than just surveys. I agree it's flawed, because the data is just not regularly captured. And that is the reason that any claims about the rate of illegal immigrant crimes (by either side) aren't solid. And the claims made in the post that started this thread are the weakest of all, they don't even attempt to take into account the obvious difference between federal and state/local prison populations.
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote: You're still the one claiming illegal immigrants have higher levels of crime than citizens, with no facts to back up your claim.

It's basic math extrapolated from the fact that 91.4% of inmates are male. Do you need me to whip out finger puppets?
Sure, bring out your finger puppets.

What they'll show you, using your methodology, is that the ratio between the illegal immigrant population in prison (4.3%) and their total male population (3.15%) is 1.46.
And they'll also show you, using your 50% of population is men/women, that the ratio between the non illegal immigrant population in prison (100%-4.3%=95.7%) and their total male population ((100%-6.3%=93.7%)*.5=46.9%) is 203.6, meaning that they are incarcerated at 103% the rate of the general population. You left out the other half of the equation.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

HokieFanDC wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

What they'll show you, using your methodology, is that the ratio between the illegal immigrant population in prison (4.3%) and their total male population (3.15%) is 1.46.
And they'll also show you, using your 50% of population is men/women, that the ratio between the non illegal immigrant population in prison (100%-4.3%=95.7%) and their total male population ((100%-6.3%=93.7%)*.5=46.9%) is 203.6, meaning that they are incarcerated at 103% the rate of the general population. You left out the other half of the equation.
Try harder. Start by using the correct percentage from your own link: 4.6% of prison population and 6.3% of general population. I can walk you through the other mistakes you made after that. :mrgreen:

Finger puppets: Activated. :geek:
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

Try harder. Start by using the correct percentage from your own link: 4.6% of prison population and 6.3% of general population. I can walk you through the other mistakes you made after that. :mrgreen:

I typed 4.3% instead of 4.6%. 4.6/3.15=1.46. If you want to show me how you got to 46% another way, have at it.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

HokieFanDC wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

I typed 4.3% instead of 4.6%. 4.6/3.15=1.46. If you want to show me how you got to 46% another way, have at it.
Nope. Try looking at your work again.

Finger puppets: 110%. Can't take too much more.....
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

I asked you to show me. If you're not going to, just go away.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

HokieFanDC wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

Your whole post is a bit quizzical though, to be honest. Not sure anyone understands what you're trying to say.
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:

Your whole post is a bit quizzical though, to be honest. Not sure anyone understands what you're trying to say.

What's your point? I already told you I mistyped 4.3% instead of 4.6%. If you use 4.6%, you get 95.4/46.85 = 203.6.
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:

You made the point that the illegal alien population in Tx prisons is over-represented compared to the illegal alien population b/c 90% of prisoners are male and only half the population is. You showed they were 46% over-represented. Using that same logic, I gave you the represenation of the non illegal alien population, which shows that the non illegal alien population is even more greatly over-represented.