Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Re: Sessions screws the pooch

Post by awesome guy »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
Mcl3 Hokie wrote:You don’t think this is political payback for Obama’s DOJ taking AZ states rights away when it came to immigration? I think it’s a perfect play to show the absurdity of the DOJ trampling AZ’s rights.
ip_law-hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
BG Hokie wrote:I'd rather leave this issue to the states. Donald Trump said the same in 2016. Why you guys hate Donald Trump and Federalism? I thought the Colorado Republican, Cory Gardner has a respectable stance on the issue. He didn't support it initially but respects that the will of the voters have made it so and is now seeking to protect his constituency. It would be nice if big gov could butt their way out.
That's a fine stance, but if that's the way it's going to be, then overturn the few laws first.

This is a pretty typical reaction (not yours, BG, but in general). The people who don't agree with legalization of pot think it should be a fed decision. People who agree with it, think it should be a state decision.
I’d be interested to know what Sessions’ end game is here. California Cannabis sales are expected to be 5 billion dollars next year. Does he think he can put that cat back in the bag?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There are ways to conduct pissing contests without sacrificing tax revenues and rewarding black marketeers.

Manchester
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
Mcl3 Hokie wrote:You don’t think this is political payback for Obama’s DOJ taking AZ states rights away when it came to immigration? I think it’s a perfect play to show the absurdity of the DOJ trampling AZ’s rights.
ip_law-hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
BG Hokie wrote:I'd rather leave this issue to the states. Donald Trump said the same in 2016. Why you guys hate Donald Trump and Federalism? I thought the Colorado Republican, Cory Gardner has a respectable stance on the issue. He didn't support it initially but respects that the will of the voters have made it so and is now seeking to protect his constituency. It would be nice if big gov could butt their way out.
That's a fine stance, but if that's the way it's going to be, then overturn the few laws first.

This is a pretty typical reaction (not yours, BG, but in general). The people who don't agree with legalization of pot think it should be a fed decision. People who agree with it, think it should be a state decision.
I’d be interested to know what Sessions’ end game is here. California Cannabis sales are expected to be 5 billion dollars next year. Does he think he can put that cat back in the bag?

There are ways to conduct pissing contests without sacrificing tax revenues and rewarding black marketeers.

I hadn’t really thought about Mc’s take before ....interesting solid thought..., and agree w IP. This is a miscue by the administration. Soooo many more urgent issues. Want to play politics w the drug issue? Okay, fine. Let’s go after the opiate epidemic that is actually killing people every day.
So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

RiverguyVT wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:

I hadn’t really thought about Mc’s take before ....interesting solid thought..., and agree w IP. This is a miscue by the administration. Soooo many more urgent issues. Want to play politics w the drug issue? Okay, fine. Let’s go after the opiate epidemic that is actually killing people every day.
Good point. Even viewed within the spectrum of the “war on drugs,” it seems obvious that there are other targets that cause more damage to society and the drug user.

With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

I can think of five heroin/opiate deaths real quickly of people I knew or was familiar with in the last couple of years.
Salute the Marines
ElbertoHokie
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Independent

Post by ElbertoHokie »

HokieHam wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:

Agree. I think it should be up to the states, but overturn the laws.
I think it was a kick the can mentality. Dems should have overturned it in 2008-2010 when they had majority, but they went for Healthcare and spent all their capital on that.

Both sides generally choose to say the states should decide when it comes to an issue they disagree with the federal gov't with.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

RiverguyVT wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:

You guys are missing the point, the federal government can't stand by and watch open lawlessness or they secede authority by default. Regardless of what you think about the law, we have to follow the law. This is the biggest issue for Sessions outside of Crooked Hillary as it's an issue of federal authority.
ElbertoHokie

Post by ElbertoHokie »

awesome guy wrote:
You guys are missing the point, the federal government can't stand by and watch open lawlessness or they secede authority by default. Regardless of what you think about the law, we have to follow the law. This is the biggest issue for Sessions outside of Crooked Hillary as it's an issue of federal authority.
Like arresting ranchers illegally grazing on federal property in Nevada and seizing federal buildings in Oregon? Like that kind of lawlessness?
BG Hokie

Post by BG Hokie »

The more interesting question is when does the Federal government decriminalize recreational pot use and how is it done? How long will it take? To me it seems inevitable but I can't yet tell if it's in my lifetime inevitable? I think as more and more states begin relying on the industry, they will have more and more power together to attempt to change law at the federal level. The states, of course, still have a desire to keep black market trafficking down, so there is alignment in the most important goal in my opinion.
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

You guys are missing the point, the federal government can't stand by and watch open lawlessness or they secede authority by default. Regardless of what you think about the law, we have to follow the law. This is the biggest issue for Sessions outside of Crooked Hillary as it's an issue of federal authority
No, this isn’t “the biggest issue for Sessions” by any stretch of the imagination. Your argument re: lawlessness and federal authority could be applied to any of the dozens and dozens of other issues that Sessions now will not have the time & resources for. Any broken law is an affront to government authority. Pot isn’t special in that regard.

Sessions is going after windmills, while there are many many other things more urgent...things that are an affront to the rule of law.
Salute the Marines
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

The states can't overrule federal law. If this should be a "states" issue then congress needs to legislate that by repealing the federal law(s).
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
Jack Galt wrote:How so? He's the AG, and he is enforcing the law. What is the problem? What are the multiple layers of stupidity?
IP doesn't believe in a country of laws. Hopefully his profession doesn't rely on them...
So how is Sessions going to enforce the law?

He has said it is up to the regional federal offices to enforce as they see fit.
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
Jack Galt wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
Jack Galt wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
Jack Galt wrote:How so? He's the AG, and he is enforcing the law. What is the problem? What are the multiple layers of stupidity?
I’ll start with - He’s leaving the ultimate decision up to be local atty’s - most of whom haven’t been appointed. There are billions of dollars at issue here.

Ok. So why haven't they been appointed? Or is the problem that they were elected, not appointed?

I'm actually interested in your point of view, but you are being evasive giving an answer.
That’s a separate issue.

Thanks for engaging in a discussion. It's been thrilling as always.

I'll let you get back to having pissing contests with other posters.
OK, but that’s on you. Sessions knew there were unfilled positions when he made the policy. And somw of these positions were unfilled because Trump dismissed very capable attorneys from positions that were not political in the past.

That isn't true. Every incoming administration appoints new US Attorneys. It is understood that as a US Attorney you submit your resignation when a new administration comes in and then make known your desire to be rehired if you want to stay. EVERY administration has done this.
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

RiverguyVT wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:Multiple layers of stupidity

https://apple.news/AaTm39YJnTcCZxSoW96h9Ng

Of all the things on the AG’s plate... this is not an urgency.
Seems a misallocation of energy right now, IMHO.
He isn't exerting any energy on this, and he isn't asking the US Attorneys to exert an more energy on it. He's just reminding them that it is illegal under federal law (removing the Obama "hands off" EO) and that they have the right and discretion to prosecute as they determine and see fit within their jurisdictions.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

ElbertoHokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
Like arresting ranchers illegally grazing on federal property in Nevada and seizing federal buildings in Oregon? Like that kind of lawlessness?

Sure Mr. Partisan, hear it out in court.
BG Hokie

Post by BG Hokie »

133743Hokie wrote:
The states can't overrule federal law. If this should be a "states" issue then congress needs to legislate that by repealing the federal law(s).
I don't disagree and actions by the states have gotten the ball rolling to that end. It takes this conflict and for states to have these industries built to have a chance to get the law changed at the federal level. It will happen, it's now a matter of when...
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

RiverguyVT wrote:
You guys are missing the point, the federal government can't stand by and watch open lawlessness or they secede authority by default. Regardless of what you think about the law, we have to follow the law. This is the biggest issue for Sessions outside of Crooked Hillary as it's an issue of federal authority
No, this isn’t “the biggest issue for Sessions” by any stretch of the imagination. Your argument re: lawlessness and federal authority could be applied to any of the dozens and dozens of other issues that Sessions now will not have the time & resources for. Any broken law is an affront to government authority. Pot isn’t special in that regard.

Sessions is going after windmills, while there are many many other things more urgent...things that are an affront to the rule of law.

Nope, sanctuary cities are the only other federal issue of this magnitude. And no, states attempting to override federal laws isn't applicable to dozens of other issues. It's a top concern for the rule of law.
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

BG Hokie wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
I don't disagree and actions by the states have gotten the ball rolling to that end. It takes this conflict and for states to have these industries built to have a chance to get the law changed at the federal level. It will happen, it's now a matter of when...
If the law is bad or improper, it doesn't require "these industries" to be built. It just requires legislators to act on what they believe is right, if the actually believe it is right. The reality is the states see legalization as a tax revenue cash cow (replacing cigarettes) and that is the ONLY reason they are for legalization. So it isn't merit based, it's greed based.
ElbertoHokie

Post by ElbertoHokie »

awesome guy wrote:
ElbertoHokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:

Says the guy that throws the States Rights slogan out only when it suits his views. And that partisan title is rich coming from the board's ultimate partisan.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

ElbertoHokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
ElbertoHokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:

Says the guy that throws the States Rights slogan out only when it suits his views. And that partisan title is rich coming from the board's ultimate partisan.

Whatever dude. You're doing exactly what you accuse me of, only are too partisan to see it. And no, I've got nothing on you in terms of being a partisan.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

133743Hokie wrote:
BG Hokie wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
If the law is bad or improper, it doesn't require "these industries" to be built. It just requires legislators to act on what they believe is right, if the actually believe it is right. The reality is the states see legalization as a tax revenue cash cow (replacing cigarettes) and that is the ONLY reason they are for legalization. So it isn't merit based, it's greed based.

I'll give them that there needs to be an act of defiance to get into court to hear this case. They fall off the rails when they claim we should be pretend the law doesn't exist just so they can get high. Or that the rule of law isn't a concern.
BG Hokie

Post by BG Hokie »

awesome guy wrote:
ElbertoHokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:

Bundy lost in court time and time again and never stopped disobeying laws. But, with that said, I rather like the Bundys and their stand against the federal government. I feel for them being impacted by the federal land grab, which still goes on and on affecting other American land owners.
BG Hokie

Post by BG Hokie »

133743Hokie wrote:
BG Hokie wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
I'm sure there is a level of government greed involved in getting it over the hump, but I'd like to think it's more based on the will of the people. The will of the people will lead to the decriminalization of marijuana just like it led to the legalization of gay marriage. It took the states to get the ball rolling...
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

BG Hokie wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
BG Hokie wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
I'm sure there is a level of government greed involved in getting it over the hump, but I'd like to think it's more based on the will of the people. The will of the people will lead to the decriminalization of marijuana just like it led to the legalization of gay marriage. It took the states to get the ball rolling...

Say what? Do you realize that the courts overturned the will of the people on gay marriage? Even CA voted to ban it. Geeze, don't ever call anyone else stupid or ignorant.
BG Hokie

Post by BG Hokie »

awesome guy wrote:
BG Hokie wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
BG Hokie wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:

Say what? Do you realize that the courts overturned the will of the people on gay marriage? Even CA voted to ban it. Geeze, don't ever call anyone else stupid or ignorant.
Prior to the Supreme Court ruling, 38 states allowed gay marriage in some fashion. So, yes, the will of the people in those states got the ball rolling. And, for what it's worth, I don't necessarily agree with the Supreme Court decision. The ends don't justify the means.
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

Good editorial on this whole thing. The following sums it up as i see it...

"Under Article II, the executive is obliged to “take care that the laws be faithfully executed,” and, under federal law, marijuana remains prohibited. Using prosecutorial discretion as a smokescreen for nullification is not our definition of “faithful,” however misguided the legislature’s will might be."

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/4 ... ional-view