NFL regular season ratings succeeding -9.7% this year.

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

NFL regular season ratings succeeding -9.7% this year.

Post by USN_Hokie »

And remember, they succeeded -8% last year.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2196 ... lar-season
nolanvt
Alma Mater: Marshall Univ.

Re: NFL regular season ratings succeeding -9.7% this year.

Post by nolanvt »

Pretty spot on article. Taking away the weekly Thursday night games and getting players under control will help immensely. I’m interested to see how many people watch Red Zone, as I do myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fully vaccinated, still not dead
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

IMO red zone is for the millenials, i.e. the ADHD generation. Just the highlights, I can't focus on anything more extensive than that!
nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

133743Hokie wrote:IMO red zone is for the millenials, i.e. the ADHD generation. Just the highlights, I can't focus on anything more extensive than that!
LOL

USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

nolanvt wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:IMO red zone is for the millenials, i.e. the ADHD generation. Just the highlights, I can't focus on anything more extensive than that!
LOL

Did you make it to the end of his post or do you need to ask someone to summarize it for you?
nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

USN_Hokie wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
LOL

Did you make it to the end of his post or do you need to ask someone to summarize it for you?
I just laugh at nonsensical posts such as that one.

awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

nolanvt wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
LOL

I just laugh at nonsensical posts such as that one.

Odd given you're the source of nonsensical posts.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
BG Hokie

Post by BG Hokie »

No, it's tailor made for fantasy football players, who have come to not even care about the outcome of the games, just the statistical output of the players. Those folks are mostly an overlap of older millennials and younger gen x'ers / y'ers who now have some new name that I don't remember but more than a generational thing, it's what fantasy football players prefer and the popularity of the NFL in the last 20 years or so boomed with the ease of conducting fantasy football leagues on the internet. I think that novelty has peaked and is even another reason for a ratings decline.
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

The game is no longer about the teams nor the games nor the standings.
Did my WR get the yards, did my FG guy get the points, and I wish I had started the other RB on my fantasy team. That’s the NFL now. It is exciting like watching an old ribbon style stocker ticker tape.
So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

BG Hokie wrote:
No, it's tailor made for fantasy football players, who have come to not even care about the outcome of the games, just the statistical output of the players. Those folks are mostly an overlap of older millennials and younger gen x'ers / y'ers who now have some new name that I don't remember but more than a generational thing, it's what fantasy football players prefer and the popularity of the NFL in the last 20 years or so boomed with the ease of conducting fantasy football leagues on the internet. I think that novelty has peaked and is even another reason for a ratings decline.
Haha.
I had not read your post when I made mine... 8-)
Salute the Marines
CFB Apologist

Post by CFB Apologist »

nolanvt wrote:
LOL

Agree with Nolan here- Redzone is not "highlights", its live game action to the portions of live games that are most interesting at that time. It's genius. And no commercials.
CFB Apologist

Post by CFB Apologist »

BG Hokie wrote:
Agree. The decline of fantasy football is a big reason for the lower ratings and is being underplayed. Fantasy is not nearly as big as it was 4-5 years ago. Leagues got too "cute/complicated"- giving points for kickoffs, super-flex players, etc etc. and the whole fan duel/draft kings debacle hurt it too. ESPN also giving airtime to who you should draft as a #4 RB/Flex , #5 WR annoyed cynical adults with real jobs- it became overkill, and not "fun"
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

CFB Apologist wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
LOL

Agree with Nolan here- Redzone is not "highlights", its live game action to the portions of live games that are most interesting at that time. It's genius. And no commercials.
Is it a subscription service? How do they make $?
CFB Apologist

Post by CFB Apologist »

USN_Hokie wrote:
CFB Apologist wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
LOL

Yes it's like $69.00 per season, but if you are an insufferable douche, I think you can call the poor kid in Omaha and complain and beg for a free trial or threaten to cancel your TV and they will give it to you for free. But for people with character, there is a fee.
nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

CFB Apologist wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
CFB Apologist wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
LOL

Yes it's like $69.00 per season, but if you are an insufferable douche, I think you can call the poor kid in Omaha and complain and beg for a free trial or threaten to cancel your TV and they will give it to you for free. But for people with character, there is a fee.
Nice!

ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

CFB Apologist wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
LOL

Red Zone is great.

With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

CFB Apologist wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
LOL

Yes, the parts that are most interesting, i.e. highlights. No ebb and flow of the game, just the facts (or stats).
CFB Apologist

Post by CFB Apologist »

133743Hokie wrote:
CFB Apologist wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
LOL

Yes, the parts that are most interesting, i.e. highlights. No ebb and flow of the game, just the facts (or stats).
Redzone is in no way shape or form "highlights".. Redzone is simply like having a remote control for all the games and surfing around and stopping on the game that's not in time out or on commercial. Highlights are a recap of a play that already happened- which is not what redzone is.
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

NFL sucks
Salute the Marines
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

RiverguyVT wrote:NFL sucks
Triggered?
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
BigDave
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Republican

Post by BigDave »

I used to watch RedZone when it was included with my cable plan.

Redzone was a way of watching (at least a little bit of) Tyrod or other Hokies when they weren't on TV in my area. If you don't have a favorite NFL team, and you just want football on, then I don't see what's wrong with RedZone. It's better than sitting through three minutes of commercials every other play.
Posted from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:NFL sucks
Triggered?

:?:
How so? It has been a crap product for years now.
Salute the Marines
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

CFB Apologist wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
CFB Apologist wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
LOL

Redzone is in no way shape or form "highlights".. Redzone is simply like having a remote control for all the games and surfing around and stopping on the game that's not in time out or on commercial. Highlights are a recap of a play that already happened- which is not what redzone is.
The focus is on games where one team is in the red zone, presumably ready to score. It's focus is on showing scoring plays, which are the highlights of the game. It doesn't show the other "mundane" 75% of the game played between the twenties, hence highlights. Call it what you want, but it only shows that part of the game that is important to viewers, the scoring.