Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
133743Hokie

Re: Single payer

Post by 133743Hokie »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
HokieHam wrote:
So its not $5? Maybe Cap’n’s insurance gets it for $5.

Or maybe Cap’n’s insurance is paying the full rate, and Cap’n will blame Obamacare for his premiums that are rising about 50% a year.
This is great. You truly do not understand.

Humira could opt to make it $5 and accept Cap’n’s application for assistance. Or they could deny. It’s based on income, illness and other factors. I’m sure their application is very similar to Jansens.

His insurance company and mine for that matter do not pay the full rates as they negotiate with the pharmaceuticals. Unfortunately, the insurance companies are limited by federal laws in how they can negotiate, which makes the drugs more costly to the insurance companies.

And no, we can blame that travesty of Obamacare all by itself for the raising of our premiums, since we are forced to pay for coverage on things we would never need.........brilliant!
Now would be a great opportunity to fix all of this. Where's the GOP plan?
As to fixing it, that's the democrats problem. Just let the wound that is ObamaCare keep festering until the limb has to be amputated. Only then will the blurry-eyed masses see what a disaster it is. I'm willing to wait and let it collapse.
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

133743Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
HokieHam wrote:

Or maybe Cap’n’s insurance is paying the full rate, and Cap’n will blame Obamacare for his premiums that are rising about 50% a year.

Humira could opt to make it $5 and accept Cap’n’s application for assistance. Or they could deny. It’s based on income, illness and other factors. I’m sure their application is very similar to Jansens.

His insurance company and mine for that matter do not pay the full rates as they negotiate with the pharmaceuticals. Unfortunately, the insurance companies are limited by federal laws in how they can negotiate, which makes the drugs more costly to the insurance companies.

And no, we can blame that travesty of Obamacare all by itself for the raising of our premiums, since we are forced to pay for coverage on things we would never need.........brilliant!
Politics doesn't allow taking a benefit away from a minority group of people once they've been given it regardless of how damaging it is to the majority, and the citizenry overall. Couple that with the states addiction to the new 100% reimbursement for medicare expansion and you will never get enough senators to vote to repeal or replace. Politics trumps a bad law.
So how do we provide coverage to the existing number of people who are now covered at a lower cost?

Single payer.
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

133743Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
HokieHam wrote:

As to fixing it, that's the democrats problem. Just let the wound that is ObamaCare keep festering until the limb has to be amputated. Only then will the blurry-eyed masses see what a disaster it is. I'm willing to wait and let it collapse.
Me too. That's where single payer comes in.
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
HokieHam wrote:

Politics doesn't allow taking a benefit away from a minority group of people once they've been given it regardless of how damaging it is to the majority, and the citizenry overall. Couple that with the states addiction to the new 100% reimbursement for medicare expansion and you will never get enough senators to vote to repeal or replace. Politics trumps a bad law.
So how do we provide coverage to the existing number of people who are now covered at a lower cost?

Single payer.
As I've said before, Medicaid expansion at some level is okay. It's fine for that 5% of the population that didn't already have insurance. But the ACA overstepped (intentionally) and screwed the 90% that had coverage and of which the great majority were happy with. THAT's whose getting screwed, not the poor guy.
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
HokieHam wrote:

Everyone already knows that single payer would be worse from both a cost and experience standpoint so its a non-starter in the US. With the collapse will come 1) maintenance of medicaid expansion for the poor and 2) a reversion back to the free market for all others with some reforms regarding portability, un-coupling from work, tort reform, selling policies across state lines, etc., i.e an improvement over what we had pre-ACA
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

133743Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
HokieHam wrote:

Single payer.
As I've said before, Medicaid expansion at some level is okay. It's fine for that 5% of the population that didn't already have insurance. But the ACA overstepped (intentionally) and screwed the 90% that had coverage and of which the great majority were happy with. THAT's whose getting screwed, not the poor guy.

I think we are all screwed paying 3x, 4x or 5x the price for the same drug that is sold in wealthy Western European countries. That’s where we should be criticizing Obamacare (or Medicaid expansion). Because Obamacare is not addressing this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HokieHam
Location: Kicking over crayons in a safe space for libruls....

Post by HokieHam »

133743Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
HokieHam wrote:

Yup. I like what Rand Paul is doing with Trump in regards to health insurance.
"if you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face-forever."

ip believes you can dial in a 78 year old man who suffers from deminishing mental function
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

133743Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
HokieHam wrote:

Everyone already knows that single payer would be worse from both a cost and experience standpoint so its a non-starter in the US. With the collapse will come 1) maintenance of medicaid expansion for the poor and 2) a reversion back to the free market for all others with some reforms regarding portability, un-coupling from work, tort reform, selling policies across state lines, etc., i.e an improvement over what we had pre-ACA
Except that single payer systems are already covering patients for much less than we pay now.
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

HokieHam wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
HokieHam wrote:

and what is that exactly?
HokieHam

Post by HokieHam »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
HokieHam wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
HokieHam wrote:

The ability for individuals to group together to buy insurance, roll back of mandated packages by insurers. That’s part of it and a good start.
"if you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face-forever."

ip believes you can dial in a 78 year old man who suffers from deminishing mental function
HokieHam

Post by HokieHam »

133743Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
HokieHam wrote:

This is what people don’t get.

RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

133743Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
HokieHam wrote:

Agry
So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote: This is great. You truly do not understand.

Except that single payer systems are already covering patients for much less than we pay now.[/quote]
But they aren't covering them at the level of care that Americans have or expect. The be able to maintain the quality of care that we have will require about $1.5T per year additional. We can't afford that. And we won't tolerate the shoddy care and long lines and wait times of the Euro-socialist style countries.
HokieHam

Post by HokieHam »

But they aren't covering them at the level of care that Americans have or expect. The be able to maintain the quality of care that we have will require about $1.5T per year additional. We can't afford that. And we won't tolerate the shoddy care and long lines and wait times of the Euro-socialist style countries.
Yup. Single payer would totally overwhelm the medical system. It’s what those who want it don’t understand. It would be much worse here because of population and entitlement attitude.

133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:

Single payer.

I think we are all screwed paying 3x, 4x or 5x the price for the same drug that is sold in wealthy Western European countries. That’s where we should be criticizing Obamacare (or Medicaid expansion). Because Obamacare is not addressing this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote]
Prescription drug costs are the flea on the elephants ass wrt health insurance -- a non issue. And as has been clarified to you, the costs you quote are not a true reflection. No one pays MSRP.
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

133743Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:

Single payer.

Prescription drug costs are the flea on the elephants ass wrt health insurance -- a non issue. And as has been clarified to you, the costs you quote are not a true reflection. No one pays MSRP.[/quote]

Are you here to clarify that we don’t pay substantially more than every other single payer country?

ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

HokieHam wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
HokieHam wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
HokieHam wrote: This is great. You truly do not understand.

The ability for individuals to group together to buy insurance, roll back of mandated packages by insurers. That’s part of it and a good start.
They better act quickly because we come closer and closer to single payer every day.

133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
HokieHam wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
HokieHam wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:

They better act quickly because we come closer and closer to single payer every day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote]
No, we're at a stagnant point right now, and have been for four years.
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
133743Hokie wrote: Politics doesn't allow taking a benefit away from a minority group of people once they've been given it regardless of how damaging it is to the majority, and the citizenry overall. Couple that with the states addiction to the new 100% reimbursement for medicare expansion and you will never get enough senators to vote to repeal or replace. Politics trumps a bad law.

Single payer.

Prescription drug costs are the flea on the elephants ass wrt health insurance -- a non issue. And as has been clarified to you, the costs you quote are not a true reflection. No one pays MSRP.
Are you here to clarify that we don’t pay substantially more than every other single payer country?

I'm not playing your disingenuous games. I've already answered this earlier in the thread and you know that. Americans get much much more for their costs than do any other country in the world.Apples and oranges.
HokieHam

Post by HokieHam »

Like talking to a brick wall........

ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

133743Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote: So how do we provide coverage to the existing number of people who are now covered at a lower cost?

Single payer.

I'm not playing your disingenuous games. I've already answered this earlier in the thread and you know that. Americans get much much more for their costs than do any other country in the world.Apples and oranges.
Taking what you say to be true, I do t see that this is sustainable unless better price controls are implemented. Your position is fine if it were not for the fact that we already cover a majority (or large percentage) of the populace already, and this is not going to change.

And FTR, i am disingenuous about a lot of geographical things, but not this.

133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
133743Hokie wrote: As I've said before, Medicaid expansion at some level is okay. It's fine for that 5% of the population that didn't already have insurance. But the ACA overstepped (intentionally) and screwed the 90% that had coverage and of which the great majority were happy with. THAT's whose getting screwed, not the poor guy.

Taking what you say to be true, I do t see that this is sustainable unless better price controls are implemented. Your position is fine if it were not for the fact that we already cover a majority (or large percentage) of the populace already, and this is not going to change.

And I offered a cost savings solution about a page back, but you just wanted to keep droning "single layer".
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

133743Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:.

And I offered a cost savings solution about a page back, but you just wanted to keep droning "single layer".
I agree with everything you want to do. I sincerely hope they give it a shot.

But I think your changes are trying to achieve an objective that single payer could more easily accomplish.

133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
133743Hokie wrote: Prescription drug costs are the flea on the elephants ass wrt health insurance -- a non issue. And as has been clarified to you, the costs you quote are not a true reflection. No one pays MSRP.

But I think your changes are trying to achieve an objective that single payer could more easily accomplish.

Again, single layer would be more expensive and a worse healthcare experience, so definitely not better
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

133743Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote: Are you here to clarify that we don’t pay substantially more than every other single payer country?

Again, single layer would be more expensive and a worse healthcare experience, so definitely not better
You say that, but offer no proof.