United We Stand - uwsboard.com

Virginia Tech fans discussing politics, religion, and football
It is currently Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:57 am

Time zone: America/New_York [ DST ]


UWS DWF UWS Lunch UWS Sports UWS Help TSL Football TSL Lounge TSL MBB Acronyms Top 25 Topics


Forum rules


Please be civil.



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:26 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:06 pm
Posts: 2161
Alma Mater: Penn State
https://townhall.com/tipsheet/timothyme ... s-n2431211

The Islamic Republic of Iran has banned teaching English in primary schools, after the Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei said that the language was a gateway to Western “cultural invasion.”

“Teaching English in government and non-government primary schools in the official curriculum is against laws and regulations,” said Mehdi Navid-Adham, the head of the state-run High Education Council. "In primary schools, the foundations should be laid to promote Farsi and Iranian culture,” he added.

This decision comes less than a week after anti-government protests demanding freedom rocked the theocratic state. Some opponents of the government fear it will promote despair in the country.

“The ban on English teaching might not be related to the protests, but it can spread despair in the country,” said a reformist politician. “It is not even do-able, with [many] families prioritizing English in their children’s education.”

Several teachers in Iran warned of the educational progress that this ban will hamper.

“This shows our education ministry officials are disconnected from the society,” said Fatemeh, a teacher at elementary school in Qarchak, a town south-east of Tehran.

Another teacher said many families would suffer. “Many private schools are competing with each other over their English classes and work on it as one of their competitive advantages,” She said. “This policy, if implemented, will affect lots of schools and families.”


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:57 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:29 pm
Posts: 6448
No problem with that. Teaching Spanish shouldn't be required in US schools.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:57 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:57 pm
Posts: 9215
133743Hokie wrote:
No problem with that. Teaching Spanish shouldn't be required in US schools.


Not being able to speak English is a barrier to being successful for a lot of people. If it were a choice, and people could take English if they want to, but not required, that would be fine. Banning it. That's a pathway to insignificance.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:06 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:29 pm
Posts: 6448
HokieFanDC wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
No problem with that. Teaching Spanish shouldn't be required in US schools.


Not being able to speak English is a barrier to being successful for a lot of people. If it were a choice, and people could take English if they want to, but not required, that would be fine. Banning it. That's a pathway to insignificance.

I don't think being unable to speak English will hold back the average Iranian.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:01 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:06 am
Posts: 2818
HokieFanDC wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
No problem with that. Teaching Spanish shouldn't be required in US schools.


Not being able to speak English is a barrier to being successful for a lot of people. If it were a choice, and people could take English if they want to, but not required, that would be fine. Banning it. That's a pathway to insignificance.


And a great way to try and stay in power .

_________________
People who know, know.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:57 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:12 pm
Posts: 996
Alma Mater: VT
Party: libertarian
133743Hokie wrote:
No problem with that. Teaching Spanish shouldn't be required in US schools.


This doesn't make it not required, it makes it illegal. That would the equivalent of saying that it is illegal to teach spanish at schools in the US.

_________________
Looks like the only thing 1984 got wrong was the date.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:31 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:29 pm
Posts: 6448
Vienna_Hokie wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
No problem with that. Teaching Spanish shouldn't be required in US schools.


This doesn't make it not required, it makes it illegal. That would the equivalent of saying that it is illegal to teach spanish at schools in the US.

Outside of a Spanish language course, or an immersion program, general education classes in US schools should not be taught in Spanish. And to the original point, for the average person there is no reason to learn a language other than your own. And in isolated societies such as Iran that is even more to the point.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:13 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:24 pm
Posts: 923
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Independent
133743Hokie wrote:
Vienna_Hokie wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
No problem with that. Teaching Spanish shouldn't be required in US schools.


This doesn't make it not required, it makes it illegal. That would the equivalent of saying that it is illegal to teach spanish at schools in the US.

Outside of a Spanish language course, or an immersion program, general education classes in US schools should not be taught in Spanish. And to the original point, for the average person there is no reason to learn a language other than your own. And in isolated societies such as Iran that is even more to the point.


I'm going to disagree with you strongly. Everywhere else but the USA, learning English is very important. If you're living in Spain, learning English is essential since much of the world's business is done that way. You just won the language lottery in that you were born and raised with the world's universal language.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:23 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:06 am
Posts: 2818
133743Hokie wrote:
Vienna_Hokie wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
No problem with that. Teaching Spanish shouldn't be required in US schools.


This doesn't make it not required, it makes it illegal. That would the equivalent of saying that it is illegal to teach spanish at schools in the US.

Outside of a Spanish language course, or an immersion program, general education classes in US schools should not be taught in Spanish. And to the original point, for the average person there is no reason to learn a language other than your own. And in isolated societies such as Iran that is even more to the point.

That's the problem and that's the reason for making it illegal. Isolation is the goal.

_________________
People who know, know.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 

Time zone: America/New_York [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron