United We Stand - uwsboard.com

Virginia Tech fans discussing politics, religion, and football
It is currently Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:22 pm

Time zone: America/New_York


UWS DWF UWS Lunch UWS Sports UWS Help TSL Football TSL Lounge TSL MBB Acronyms Top 25 Topics


Forum rules


Please be civil.



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:18 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:01 pm
Posts: 8852
Alma Mater: Marshall Univ.
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/sc ... 1f624af02f


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

_________________
I love UWS!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:12 am
Posts: 5210
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Eclectic
Yes, I'm sure the school was looking to school children to "justify" slavery. Probably not a good assignment for 9 yr olds, and I'm sure it was an exercise meant to teach that there are no good reasons for slavery. OTOH, there's no way in hell I'd require sensitivity courses. If the teacher made a mistake, then fire them. Let that serve as the example. No sensitivity courses required.

_________________
"To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize." - Voltaire


"Christian socialism is but the holy water with which the priest consecrates the heart-burnings of the aristocrat" Karl Marx


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:25 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:48 pm
Posts: 10235
Building the pyramids. No unions.

Building the great wall of china. Plenty of extra manpower when some slaves died.

Fighting as gladiators in rome. Great entertainment for the romans.


nolanvt wrote:
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/school-homework-good-reasons-slavery_us_5a566d6be4b08a1f624af02f


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

_________________
If you bend over backwards long enough,
eventually you'll fall down.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:31 pm
Posts: 6604
1) They provide really cheap labor for the elites.

2) Big corporations will send in large campaign contributions to politicians that support it.

3) They vote Democrat.

_________________
"My goal is to destroy the New York Times and CNN... Once our voices are heard, then Democracy will happen."

- Andrew Breitbart


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:30 pm
Posts: 9978
Looks like a PC over reaction, and shutting down of learning, that Nolan could support.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:10 pm
Posts: 31376
Location: Plastic Flotilla:Location Classified
Party: After 10
I like how the Nolanites condemn slavery and then proclaim that bakers must make cakes for gay weddings. Slavery is bad except when it's not.

_________________
You losers lost, take off the vagina suit.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:54 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:01 pm
Posts: 8852
Alma Mater: Marshall Univ.
awesome guy wrote:
I like how the Nolanites condemn slavery and then proclaim that bakers must make cakes for gay weddings. Slavery is bad except when it's not.





Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

_________________
I love UWS!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:10 pm
Posts: 31376
Location: Plastic Flotilla:Location Classified
Party: After 10
nolanvt wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
I like how the Nolanites condemn slavery and then proclaim that bakers must make cakes for gay weddings. Slavery is bad except when it's not.





Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Devastated

_________________
You losers lost, take off the vagina suit.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:01 pm
Posts: 8852
Alma Mater: Marshall Univ.
RiverguyVT wrote:
Looks like a PC over reaction, and shutting down of learning, that Nolan could support.


Pretty sure nobody is suggesting shutting down learning that slavery is bad.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

_________________
I love UWS!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:01 pm
Posts: 8852
Alma Mater: Marshall Univ.
HokieJoe wrote:
Yes, I'm sure the school was looking to school children to "justify" slavery. Probably not a good assignment for 9 yr olds, and I'm sure it was an exercise meant to teach that there are no good reasons for slavery. OTOH, there's no way in hell I'd require sensitivity courses. If the teacher made a mistake, then fire them. Let that serve as the example. No sensitivity courses required.


I’m generally not a believer of firing people for mistakes unless it’s of the level of significant, irreparable harm. Here, just say you **** up and it won’t happen again.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

_________________
I love UWS!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:29 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:24 pm
Posts: 830
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Independent
1. Slavery denotes a typically(not always) more educated ruling class. The uneducated don't get to make decisions. Why do you think you had to own land to vote?

2. I really can't think of anything good beyond that.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:54 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:29 pm
Posts: 6041
Who thought this exercise was a good idea and would have a positive outcome?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:04 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:30 pm
Posts: 9978
nolanvt wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:
Looks like a PC over reaction, and shutting down of learning, that Nolan could support.


Pretty sure nobody is suggesting shutting down learning that slavery is bad.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Uh-huh.
Shut down learning. Yay team!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:50 am
Posts: 5328
Location: Kicking over crayons in a safe space for libruls....
133743Hokie wrote:
Who thought this exercise was a good idea and would have a positive outcome?

As long as their is someone to make an example of.....someone to send to re-education camp.......it’s all good.

_________________
Image
"if you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face-forever."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:58 pm
Posts: 19446
Location: Fake Dossier Writing Center
Party: Draintheswamp
ElbertoHokie wrote:
The uneducated don't get to make decisions. Why do you think you had to own land to vote?


Not sure where you were going with this but the landowners / business owners have skin in the game. Look at how fast our society has devolved to people who don't even pay taxes voting for "free" stuff. By the way, free black men were able to vote before white women in many cases.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:41 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:29 pm
Posts: 6041
USN_Hokie wrote:
ElbertoHokie wrote:
The uneducated don't get to make decisions. Why do you think you had to own land to vote?


Not sure where you were going with this but the landowners / business owners have skin in the game. Look at how fast our society has devolved to people who don't even pay taxes voting for "free" stuff. By the way, free black men were able to vote before white women in many cases.

Black men were able to vote before ANY women were


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:43 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:58 pm
Posts: 19446
Location: Fake Dossier Writing Center
Party: Draintheswamp
133743Hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
ElbertoHokie wrote:
The uneducated don't get to make decisions. Why do you think you had to own land to vote?


Not sure where you were going with this but the landowners / business owners have skin in the game. Look at how fast our society has devolved to people who don't even pay taxes voting for "free" stuff. By the way, free black men were able to vote before white women in many cases.

Black men were able to vote before ANY women were


Federally at least, yeah.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:21 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:30 pm
Posts: 9978
133743Hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
ElbertoHokie wrote:
The uneducated don't get to make decisions. Why do you think you had to own land to vote?


Not sure where you were going with this but the landowners / business owners have skin in the game. Look at how fast our society has devolved to people who don't even pay taxes voting for "free" stuff. By the way, free black men were able to vote before white women in many cases.

Black men were able to vote before ANY women were


Black men also captured other black men, whom they sold into slavery to white men, who in turn sold them to other white men.

No one color is innocent; no one color is completely guilty.

As a friend would say, it isn’t a bianary issue.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:30 pm
Posts: 9978
HokieHam wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
Who thought this exercise was a good idea and would have a positive outcome?

As long as their is someone to make an example of.....someone to send to re-education camp.......it’s all good.

My two, when they were nine, could’ve handled the exercise.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:35 pm
Posts: 10089
Location: Macedonian Hacking Campus
Alma Mater: Skopje Technical Hacking and Culinary Institute
Party: Independent
nolanvt wrote:
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/school-homework-good-reasons-slavery_us_5a566d6be4b08a1f624af02f


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's still going on in sh1thole countries.

_________________
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:30 pm
Posts: 9978
Major Kong wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/school-homework-good-reasons-slavery_us_5a566d6be4b08a1f624af02f


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's still going on in sh1thole countries.

Oh heck yeah it is... big time.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:48 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:58 pm
Posts: 19446
Location: Fake Dossier Writing Center
Party: Draintheswamp
Major Kong wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/school-homework-good-reasons-slavery_us_5a566d6be4b08a1f624af02f


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's still going on in sh1thole countries.


Yep.

Quote:
Restavek is a form of modern-day child slavery that persists in Haiti, affecting one in every 15 children.

Typically born into poor rural families, restavek children are often given to relatives or strangers.

In their new homes, they become domestic slaves, performing menial tasks for no pay.

https://restavekfreedom.org/issue/


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ] 

Time zone: America/New_York


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron