DOW 26K

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
UpstateSCHokie

DOW 26K

Post by UpstateSCHokie »

Could you imagine the slobbering and praise the MSM(D) would be giving Obama if he were still in office? That is all they would be talking about, how great "Obama's economy is." Hell, some of them are still trying to give him credit for it. But with Trump, we don't talk about such things as it might make the low info public realize just how good his policies are.

==========================================

https://www.wsj.com/articles/stock-mark ... 1516071275

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” ― Voltaire (1694 – 1778)
HokieHam
Location: Kicking over crayons in a safe space for libruls....

Re: DOW 26K

Post by HokieHam »

I’m hoping this continues, but the President crowing about this like he does isn’t good. It’s going to correct one day.....then what?
"if you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face-forever."

ip believes you can dial in a 78 year old man who suffers from deminishing mental function
HokieJoe
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Eclectic

Post by HokieJoe »

HokieHam wrote:I’m hoping this continues, but the President crowing about this like he does isn’t good. It’s going to correct one day.....then what?

Yep. This bubble is bound to pop.
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
Bay_area_Hokie
Alma Mater: VT
Party: Surprise Party

Post by Bay_area_Hokie »

Here's a website that some of you might find fun to read. Tradingtribe.com

The MC of the web site is a guy named Ed Sekoyta, some of you would like him as he is an ultra libertarian and he is considered by many to be the person who invented technical analysis of investments. Apparently he went to MIT in the 70s(i think) and took a job with an investment bank and wrote the first software to automate trading and apparently he is wealthy, living on the Nevada side of Lake Tahoe.

Scroll down to the FAQ section of the site and you can read his responses to emails. Some are a hoot.

The site is all about taking the emotion out of trading and riding your winners. It's pseudo psychology meets libertarian principles meets math. Some of you will love it.
“With God there are only individuals” - Philosopher Nicolas Gomez Davila
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

Ive never liked the mis-named "technical analysis" camp
Like driving forward looking only in my rear view mirror.
So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

UpstateSCHokie wrote:Could you imagine the slobbering and praise the MSM(D) would be giving Obama if he were still in office? That is all they would be talking about, how great "Obama's economy is." Hell, some of them are still trying to give him credit for it. But with Trump, we don't talk about such things as it might make the low info public realize just how good his policies are.

????? The Dow went from 8k to 20k during his term. It went up 25%, from 8k to 10k, in his first year.
Over the last year, the Dow has gone up 25%, from 20k to 25k.
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

HokieFanDC wrote:
UpstateSCHokie wrote:Could you imagine the slobbering and praise the MSM(D) would be giving Obama if he were still in office? That is all they would be talking about, how great "Obama's economy is." Hell, some of them are still trying to give him credit for it. But with Trump, we don't talk about such things as it might make the low info public realize just how good his policies are.

????? The Dow went from 8k to 20k during his term. It went up 25%, from 8k to 10k, in his first year.
Over the last year, the Dow has gone up 25%, from 20k to 25k.
The reality is that the Obama years were starting with the market at rock bottom. It had no where to go but up. With interest rates at zero no one was purchasing bonds. Instead they were going with blue chips for the dividend stream.
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

What percentage of 401k/retirement funds should be in a stable value fund? I’m a man, I’m forty.

https://youtu.be/c7gb5tThM24

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
Bay_area_Hokie
Party: Surprise Party

Post by Bay_area_Hokie »

ip_law-hokie wrote:What percentage of 401k/retirement funds should be in a stable value fund? I’m a man, I’m forty.

“stable value fund” is code for crappy return.

Seriously, I think the SPY and QQQ etfs are great vehicles. I have about a third in each and a third in my high flyer stocks which I trade in and out of.

If you are wildly bullish, go heavier on the Qs. If you want more stability go heavy on SPY.

The indicies are self correcting cause they throw out the dogs all the time.

“With God there are only individuals” - Philosopher Nicolas Gomez Davila
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

ip_law-hokie wrote:What percentage of 401k/retirement funds should be in a stable value fund? I’m a man, I’m forty.

Bitcoin is dipping, you should go hogwild on that! :mrgreen:
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

Bay_area_Hokie wrote:

“stable value fund” is code for crappy return.

Seriously, I think the SPY and QQQ etfs are great vehicles. I have about a third in each and a third in my high flyer stocks which I trade in and out of.

If you are wildly bullish, go heavier on the Qs. If you want more stability go heavy on SPY.

The indicies are self correcting cause they throw out the dogs all the time.

I don’t think 20-25% in such a fund right now is ridiculous. 1.5-2% annual growth with no downside that can be set aside for after the correction. I believe the return should increase as interest rates go up.

I agree with you on the index funds 100%.

With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
HooFighter
Party: all the time

Post by HooFighter »

Donald Trump is a stupid man's idea of a smart man, a poor man's idea of a rich man, and a weak man's idea of a strong man.
Uprising
Party: etc

Post by Uprising »

HooFighter wrote:
Attachments
Progress!
Progress!
IMG_20190131_080437.jpg (123.21 KiB) Viewed 631 times
Uprising
Party: etc

Post by Uprising »

Dow finished under 25k. Think he'll congratulate himself for crossing it again tomorrow?
HokieHam

Post by HokieHam »

Uprising wrote:Dow finished under 25k. Think he'll congratulate himself for crossing it again tomorrow?
He should. It’d be hilarious.
"if you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face-forever."

ip believes you can dial in a 78 year old man who suffers from deminishing mental function
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

HokieHam wrote:
Uprising wrote:Dow finished under 25k. Think he'll congratulate himself for crossing it again tomorrow?
He should. It’d be hilarious.
It's definitely funny.

UpstateSCHokie

Post by UpstateSCHokie »

Womp womp. Despite your best wishes for America to fail, the markets are doing fine.

============================================

Another Trump Miracle: January 2019 Stock Market Gains Hit Another Record – Best January in History of DOW!
Jim Hoft by Jim Hoft February 1, 2019 29 Comments

President Trump is Making America Great Again!

January’s stock market gains were the greatest ever for a January in the more than 100 years of the DOW.
Percentage-wise, January 2019 was the best January in 30 years!

January 2019 is being labeled the best January for the stock market in 30 years –
Wall Street stocks finished a banner month on a mostly positive note Thursday (Jan 31), with the Dow notching its best January in 30 years, reversing the bruising finale to 2018.

The Dow Jones Industrial Average ended the month at 24,999.67, a 0.1 per cent dip for the session, but up 7.2 percent for all of January.

The broad-based S&P 500 closed at 2,704.10, up 0.9 per cent for the session and 7.9 per cent for the month.
The tech-rich Nasdaq Composite performed even better, closing the month at 7,281.74, up 1.4 per cent for the session and 9.7 per cent for the month.

The highlights of the session included banner results from Facebook that lifted the social media giant 10.8 per cent.

Stocks also picked up momentum late in the session when President Donald Trump hailed “tremendous” progress in US-China trade negotiations held over the last two days in Washington.

In a letter from Chinese leader Xi Jinping to Trump that was read out by the Chinese delegation, Xi said relations were at a “critical” stage and that he hoped “our two sides will continue to work with mutual respect.”
The S&P 500 also had it’s best January in over 30 years –
U.S. stocks closed mostly higher Thursday, with the S&P 500 notching its best January in over three decades, after the Federal Reserve signaled that rate increases are on pause and that its next policy move will depend on economic data.
The actual results are even more shocking when looking at point rises. For the month the DOW, for example, increased by more than 1,600 points. This is the most the DOW has increased in the month of January in its over 100 year history. The DOW ended 2018 at 23,327 and it ended the month of January 2019 at 24,999 for an increase of 1,672 points.

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2019/0 ... ry-of-dow/

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” ― Voltaire (1694 – 1778)
HokieHam

Post by HokieHam »

304K jobs added.

cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

does it feel good to cheer for my retirement not doing as well as it should be? or for the destruction of wealth?

you are one sick sob
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

cwtcr hokie wrote:
does it feel good to cheer for my retirement not doing as well as it should be? or for the destruction of wealth?

you are one sick sob
They're for killing babies after birth so we know how sick and deranged they are.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

It'll be the best crossing of 25k ever.
So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Post by Major Kong »

Meh call me when we can obtain Warp 1...then I'll be impressed. :mrgreen:
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.