Trump making moves to pull Feds out of K-12 education

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Trump making moves to pull Feds out of K-12 education

Post by USN_Hokie »

Great start. Don't know how I missed this earlier.
https://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2017 ... education/

President Trump signed an executive order Wednesday to start pulling the federal government out of K-12 education, following through on a campaign promise to return school control to state and local officials.

The order, dubbed the “Education Federalism Executive Order,” will launch a 300-day review of Obama-era regulations and guidance for school districts and directs Education Secretary Betsy DeVos to modify or repeal measures she deems an overreach by the federal government.

“For too long the government has imposed its will on state and local governments. The result has been education that spends more and achieves far, far, far less,” Mr. Trump said. “My administration has been working to reverse this federal power grab and give power back to families, cities [and] states — give power back to localities.”
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Re: Trump making moves to pull Feds out of K-12 education

Post by awesome guy »

Not sure I like that. Your typical school system is made up of left wing loons. Someone needs to keep them focused on education and out of SJW BS. They're the same people that gave us Heather Has Two Mommies and oversaw the collapse of our academic achievements next to the rest of the world. Liberals hate SOL as they create a metric to judge performance and thusly weed out the teachers not focused on the core curriculum. They do need baby sitters, at least till colleges are purged of the radicals that create radical teachers. Oversight is needed in my opinion or go all the way and remove the country boards and allow each school to do it's own thing without inner city busing and the like.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

The local electorate will keep the greater administrative state in check more easily. The further the public is removed from the administrative arm the more difficult it is for them to have influence. This is a positive move. Will also be more cost effective.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

133743Hokie wrote:The local electorate will keep the greater administrative state in check more easily. The further the public is removed from the administrative arm the more difficult it is for them to have influence. This is a positive move. Will also be more cost effective.
Agree.
Last edited by USN_Hokie on Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

133743Hokie wrote:The local electorate will keep the greater administrative state in check more easily. The further the public is removed from the administrative arm the more difficult it is for them to have influence. This is a positive move. Will also be more cost effective.
Most people couldn't even name their school board representative, it's the dice roll on the ballot. We're more out of touch with our local governments now I'm afraid.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

awesome guy wrote:
Most people couldn't even name their school board representative, it's the dice roll on the ballot. We're more out of touch with our local governments now I'm afraid.
I'd argue that people care less because the feds dictate so much.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

USN_Hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
I'd argue that people care less because the feds dictate so much.
Partially, partially from the news now being national and global, compounded by communities being a conglomeration of strangers. We've lost our sense of neighborhood and with it, contact with the local government.