Escape from NY to Africa (to escape racism)

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
UpstateSCHokie

Escape from NY to Africa (to escape racism)

Post by UpstateSCHokie »

Since this is Al Jazeera, I take this with a grain of salt. But could be an interesting new trend.

====================================

Why some African Americans are moving to Africa
Azad Essaby Azad Essa
18 Jan 2018

Accra, Ghana - They have come from the big cities of San Francisco, Chicago, and New York. Thousands of them. And many refuse to return.

A new wave of African Americans is escaping the incessant racism and prejudice in the United States. From Senegal and Ghana to The Gambia, communities are emerging in defiance of conventional wisdom that Africa is a continent everyone is trying to leave.

It is estimated that between 3,000 and 5,000 African Americans live in Accra, the Ghanaian capital. They are teachers in small towns in the west or entrepreneurs in the capital and say they that even though living in Ghana is not always easy, they feel free and safe.

Take Muhammida el-Muhajir, a digital marketer from New York City, who left her job to move to Accra.

She says she moved, because despite her education and experience, she was always made to feel like a second-class citizen. Moving was an opportunity to fulfil her potential and avoid being targeted by racial violence.

She told Al Jazeera her story:
On life as a second-class citizen in the US...

"I grew up in Philadelphia and then New York. I went to Howard, which is a historically black university. I tell people that Ghana is like Howard in real life. It felt like a microcosm of the world. At university, they tell us the world isn't black, but there are places where this is the real world. Howard prepares you for a world where black people are in charge, which is a completely different experience compared to people who have gone to predominantly white universities."

https://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/featu ... 36345.html

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” ― Voltaire (1694 – 1778)
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Re: Escape from NY to Africa (to escape racism)

Post by awesome guy »

UpstateSCHokie wrote:Since this is Al Jazeera, I take this with a grain of salt. But could be an interesting new trend.

====================================

Why some African Americans are moving to Africa
Azad Essaby Azad Essa
18 Jan 2018

Accra, Ghana - They have come from the big cities of San Francisco, Chicago, and New York. Thousands of them. And many refuse to return.

A new wave of African Americans is escaping the incessant racism and prejudice in the United States. From Senegal and Ghana to The Gambia, communities are emerging in defiance of conventional wisdom that Africa is a continent everyone is trying to leave.

It is estimated that between 3,000 and 5,000 African Americans live in Accra, the Ghanaian capital. They are teachers in small towns in the west or entrepreneurs in the capital and say they that even though living in Ghana is not always easy, they feel free and safe.

Take Muhammida el-Muhajir, a digital marketer from New York City, who left her job to move to Accra.

She says she moved, because despite her education and experience, she was always made to feel like a second-class citizen. Moving was an opportunity to fulfil her potential and avoid being targeted by racial violence.

She told Al Jazeera her story:
On life as a second-class citizen in the US...

"I grew up in Philadelphia and then New York. I went to Howard, which is a historically black university. I tell people that Ghana is like Howard in real life. It felt like a microcosm of the world. At university, they tell us the world isn't black, but there are places where this is the real world. Howard prepares you for a world where black people are in charge, which is a completely different experience compared to people who have gone to predominantly white universities."

https://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/featu ... 36345.html
Soooooo much diversity. The status seekers won't see or call out "prepares you for blacks being in charge". She's the racist that she's looking for. Good riddance.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
HokieJoe
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Eclectic

Post by HokieJoe »

That article is straight up propaganda.
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

Wait until they experience tribalism
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

133743Hokie wrote:Wait until they experience tribalism

other than what they experience with each other already ...
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
BigDave
Party: Republican

Post by BigDave »

HokieJoe wrote:That article is straight up propaganda.
The "article" is someone promoting his documentary "Blaxit", which seeks to promote African American exodus.

If you read further, there is ridiculous nonsense like this:
"You might not have electricity, but you won't get killed by the police either.
Yeah, in the US, you have a .00001% chance of getting killed by a police officer and you have electricity ... in Ghana, you have a decent chance at being killed by thieves, rebels, corrupt government officials, or anyone else and you may not have electricity.

Oh, and by the way, police shoot people in Ghana too (with more regularity than they do here) ... you just don't hear about it because (1) there isn't a racial component and (2) few people in the US care what happens in some third world country.
Posted from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk
CFB Apologist

Post by CFB Apologist »

"Incessant Racism and Prejudice" ...lolololololololol... In modern america, if someone sucks at life- its racism. If someone doesn't get promoted- racism..someone gets pulled over for going 110 in a 65- racism, etc etc etc. America is one of the LEAST racists nations on earth
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

BigDave wrote:
HokieJoe wrote:That article is straight up propaganda.
The "article" is someone promoting his documentary "Blaxit", which seeks to promote African American exodus.

If you read further, there is ridiculous nonsense like this:
"You might not have electricity, but you won't get killed by the police either.
Yeah, in the US, you have a .00001% chance of getting killed by a police officer and you have electricity ... in Ghana, you have a decent chance at being killed by thieves, rebels, corrupt government officials, or anyone else and you may not have electricity.

Oh, and by the way, police shoot people in Ghana too (with more regularity than they do here) ... you just don't hear about it because (1) there isn't a racial component and (2) few people in the US care what happens in some third world country.
Ghana is a major shirthole. I've been there.
HokieJoe
Party: Eclectic

Post by HokieJoe »

I just hope they got rid of all the kool-aid.
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
Attila T Hun

Post by Attila T Hun »

Hell bent for the sh!thole. Get out of the way.
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

They should do this and then make a reality show following them.
Vienna_Hokie
Alma Mater: VT
Party: libertarian

Post by Vienna_Hokie »

Buh bye
Looks like the only thing 1984 got wrong was the date.