WaPo reports fake news about Eric Trump...

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
UpstateSCHokie

WaPo reports fake news about Eric Trump...

Post by UpstateSCHokie »

See this is how the sausage is made. The media wait with bated breath to find examples of the narrative they want to push. In this case, the narrative is "Eric Trump is an idiot." So they wait and they dig through all the interviews and sound bite they can find to support this narrative. And then suddenly they think they have it! So they take a sound bite (completely out of context) and run with it to say "See!! See!!! He's an idiot!!!"

Then later you find out the truth, and what he said was not what was reported at all. In fact, the complete opposite. But at that point it doesn't matter because the damage is done, the narrative has been "proven" and the media is on to the next rumor or bit of gossip that helps their narrative. Sure they may eventually publish a correction, but they know no one reads those things and their narrative has already been reinforced in their readers minds.

What I find interesting (i.e. obnoxious) is that the same people that read and believe papers like the WaPo, are the same ones that refuse to believe anything from Project Veritas because they claim "oh O'Keefe just edits his videos to make them say what he wants." Except O'Keefe provides way more raw video footage of his sting operations than the Democrat media ever has! And as we've seen numerous times, the Democrat media edits videos and take quotes out of context almost every single day to make them say what they want!!!

=========================

Oops: WashPost Misquotes Eric Trump on 'Hannity' to Make Him Look Dumb
By Tim Graham | January 20, 2018 5:24 PM EST

The satirists at Saturday Night Live love to paint Eric Trump as so dumb he probably eats paint chips (or Tide pods?) Alex Griswold at the Washington Free Beacon found some fake news emanating from the Washington Post, as they desperately wanted to mock Eric as a silly silver-spoon baby who worries about his retirement savings.

Post correspondent Christopher Ingraham "reported" on the "Wonkblog" some remarks Eric Trump supposedly made on Hannity in which he crowed that his 401(k) retirement account was booming ever since his father took office.

"I just opened up my 401(k), I haven't looked at in a year. It's up by 35 percent. I didn't think retirement was possible," the Post reported Trump as saying.

Ingraham wrote, "Set aside the fact that Trump, heir to a multibillion-dollar fortune and an already-wealthy businessman in his own right, the returns on a measly $18,500 in annual 401(k) contributions have little bearing on his ability to stop working." That didn't up sounding very wonky.

That's because Eric Trump did not claim his own retirement account was doing well. He was simply repeating what people on the street told him about how well their IRAs were doing under President Trump:
ERIC TRUMP: They [the media] were supposed to be the smart people...they're the brilliant journalists. They all got it wrong. He quite frankly embarrassed them and they're doubling down again. And he is going to prove them wrong again and again. Because you know what, every day, I have told you this metaphor a thousand times, but every single day I walk on the street and people come up to me, they hugged me. "Tell your father we say thank you. You know what, I just opened up my 401(k), I haven't looked at in a year. It is up by 35 percent. I mean, I didn't think retirement was possible"...These are the stories I hear every single day, Sean.
Griswold noted the liberal newspaper's first (Fake News) headline was "Eric Trump’s 401(k) is up by 35 percent, but half of American families don’t even have one." He guessed the problem:
The error was likely caused by Fox News' transcript of the Trump interview, which treated the first and second halves of Trump's sentence as separate thoughts and included a paragraph break halfway through. A preface at the top notes that it is a rush transcript, and that "this copy may not be in its final form and may be updated."

The Post piece has since been updated with the correct quote and a new headline accurately recounting that Trump "says 401(k)s are doing great."

"An earlier version of this incorrectly framed Eric Trump's remarks on Hannity," a correction reads. "He was characterizing what a person on the street said to him, not his own 401(k) account."
https://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/nb/ti ... -look-dumb

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” ― Voltaire (1694 – 1778)