Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
BigDave
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Republican

University of Alabama expels student for racist Instagram

Post by BigDave »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/gra ... elled-her/

She recorded herself saying how much she hates black people and using the n-word repeatedly ... on Martin Luther King Day.

She then excuses her conduct saying that she's from New Jersey, but is in the South now, so it's okay for her to use such language.

(But it's definitely the South that's racist, right?)
Posted from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk
RiverguyVT

Re: University of Alabama expels student for racist Instagra

Post by RiverguyVT »

What a world. I tell ya, Dave, I really did see a lot of racism when I was growing up up north. It was a different sort of racism, though.

I’ve often thought there was something to this adage:
“-In the South, they don’t care how close a black man gets, so long as he doesn’t get too high up.
In the North, they don’t care how high up a black man gets, just so long as he doesn’t get close.”

Neither is good, but they are nuanced & different.

As for Alabama kicking the girl out... I dunno. We do have free speech; and with that right follow consequences. She’s an idiot and likely would have suffered more at the hands of classmates had she stayed. She was going to be drummed out one way or another. Maybe sthe school did her a favor, saving her from physical harm...
So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.
Hokey Pokey

Post by Hokey Pokey »

Question is will they do the same thing if a Black person says the same thing about white people? Once they have set this precedent, it should apply for all.
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

Hokey Pokey wrote:Question is will they do the same thing if a Black person says the same thing about white people? Once they have set this precedent, it should apply for all.
No. Such a person would get tenured professorship. :lol:
So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

Hokey Pokey wrote:Question is will they do the same thing if a Black person says the same thing about white people? Once they have set this precedent, it should apply for all.
I hope the admin does not find anyone listening to rap music, they will be throwing people out left and right, esp if the person is singing along!
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

BigDave wrote:https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/gra ... elled-her/

She recorded herself saying how much she hates black people and using the n-word repeatedly ... on Martin Luther King Day.

She then excuses her conduct saying that she's from New Jersey, but is in the South now, so it's okay for her to use such language.

Its wrong to deny someone their free speech right....but it is ok if it is whitey being denied since whitey was so mean 150 years ago
BigDave

Post by BigDave »

RiverguyVT wrote:
No. Such a person would get tenured professorship. :lol:
And would be a regular guest on CNN
nolanvt
Alma Mater: Marshall Univ.

Post by nolanvt »

When I first heard mention of the N-word, I thought we were talking about New Jersey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fully vaccinated, still not dead
BigDave

Post by BigDave »

nolanvt wrote:When I first heard mention of the N-word, I thought we were talking about New Jersey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LOL!
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

ironic, one of the linked stories below the story is "descendants of slaves demand restitution from Georgetown"..... ummmm.... NO
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Post by Major Kong »

She had already been kicked out of her sorority so her "safety net" was eliminated so she was probably heading back to Rutgers anyway.
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

ElbertoHokie
Party: Independent

Post by ElbertoHokie »

cwtcr hokie wrote:

Its wrong to deny someone their free speech right....but it is ok if it is whitey being denied since whitey was so mean 150 years ago
You have the freedom of speech against the Federal Gov't. What was UA's code of conduct? Did it spell out racism specifically? If it did, I'm sure they were more than justified.
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

ElbertoHokie wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:

You have the freedom of speech against the Federal Gov't. What was UA's code of conduct? Did it spell out racism specifically? If it did, I'm sure they were more than justified.
LOL
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

ElbertoHokie wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:

If their code of conduct says your speech is limited to only acceptable (to who?) then it is not valid. But if disparaging someone is grounds to expel a student then there would be very few students at bama most of the time
CFB Apologist

Post by CFB Apologist »

In our lifetime the N Word will be a federal crime to speak. What will be interesting is two things- 1. What will the hip hop and uneducated black communities do when their favorite word is banned speech? or will the supreme court make an exception for is use with a soft R or A at the end? 2. What word will those that use ebonics and adolescent disgusting language will replace it? what will be the new N word?
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

That doesn't sound like any Jersey girl I know!
HokieJoe
Party: Eclectic

Post by HokieJoe »

ElbertoHokie wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:

My argument is: If UA takes any form of federal money, their code of conduct is utterly irrelevant.
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson