Question regarding "The Wall"...

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
133743Hokie

Question regarding "The Wall"...

Post by 133743Hokie »

If the democrats yield to fully funding the wall to get what they want on their side of the ledger in the immigration reform discussion, what is to prevent them from defunding the wall construction if they take back the house in 2018? It's going to take years and years to build the wall. Couldn't the funding be clawed back or reprioritized? I just see this as a big loophole that the democrats are going to pants the republicans with.
UpstateSCHokie

Re: Question regarding "The Wall"...

Post by UpstateSCHokie »

133743Hokie wrote:If the democrats yield to fully funding the wall to get what they want on their side of the ledger in the immigration reform discussion, what is to prevent them from defunding the wall construction if they take back the house in 2018? It's going to take years and years to build the wall. Couldn't the funding be clawed back or reprioritized? I just see this as a big loophole that the democrats are going to pants the republicans with.
Even if they take back the House & Senate, and vote to defund the wall, Trump would veto any such action and I don't see any scenario where they would have a veto proof majority.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” ― Voltaire (1694 – 1778)
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Post by Major Kong »

I thought this was going be a thread about Pink Floyd. :mrgreen:
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

ElbertoHokie
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Independent

Post by ElbertoHokie »

133743Hokie wrote:If the democrats yield to fully funding the wall to get what they want on their side of the ledger in the immigration reform discussion, what is to prevent them from defunding the wall construction if they take back the house in 2018? It's going to take years and years to build the wall. Couldn't the funding be clawed back or reprioritized? I just see this as a big loophole that the democrats are going to pants the republicans with.
You can make the argument about any big legislation. Obamacare, the Wall. It's always a risk, but you have to try and pass something.
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

ElbertoHokie wrote:
You can make the argument about any big legislation. Obamacare, the Wall. It's always a risk, but you have to try and pass something.
Its much easier to defund something than eliminate or undo it. And there are legislative maneuvers to defund that cant be vetoed. That's the concern IMO