Be Civil. Go Hokies.
cwtcr hokie

Re: Larry Nassar sentenced to 40-175 years

Post by cwtcr hokie »

TheH2 wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
TheH2 wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:Should MSU get whacked like PSU did over all of this?
NO, it is a criminal issue and I don't get this that anyone that knew Nassar is responsible for his actions. Nassar was the freak, and coaches or other people or university admin people are not cops, they could not stop Nassar, law enforcement does that IF people report when a crime is committed against them.
If you read a little about the story you would know, rather than have a sense.
I hate to tell ya but I followed the story as I follow new regularly. So just stop with your constant you know more than me crap. Again, reporting to a colleage or coach or joe on the street is not what you do when a crime is committed against you. IF somebody steals your car do you call your mechanic? If a co-worker comes to you and says that another worker stole $100 off their desk are you going to arrest the guy? No, you tell them to call the damn cops..... not sure why this is so hard to understand.

but if you insist on telling a coach is the way to go then what is the coach supposed to do, go to the cops? the cops at that point can't do anything as the person that the crime is committed against is not present and they normally do not work off third hand info..... again, IF A CRIME IS COMMITTED AGAINST YOU GO TO THE LAW ENFORCEMENT, not the school janitor
It was reported to the MSU police department.

Yes of course the NCAA should come down hard on MSU. It was reported to people at MSU and ignored. If they have any responsibility for their athletes (and they most certainly do) they should be punished.

The punishment should be consistent with the actions. They shouldn't dismantle the basketball program because gymnastics and volleyball f'd up, but they should go after their respective sports where there was a cover up or negligence.
Ok, so the report had enough evidence to arrest the guy right? As I said 10 times so far due to the special nature of this it may take more than one or two to get him. Secondly most humans know that school police depts are just for writing parking tickets..... I am guessing there are actual cops in the city that MSU is located in. IF something happened to me at VT my first call was not to the tech cops, it was to the bburg cops. Yes it goes back to the victim has a responsibility to push for justice for themselves if they have been wronged....pretty simple concept

even for dumbasses like me.

couple of issues, it was not their athletes, was not aware a 12 year old can go to college. Yes some were msu athletes but did they report anything? But again the ncaa is not a law enforcement org and has zero power to arrest or indict or investigate. And please answer what was a random coach supposed to do? So he/she reports it to the AD I guess, what does the AD do, report to the prez I guess. And the prez says if a crime has been committed go to the actual law enforcement and press charges. Since it is only an accusation at that time the person committing the offense is not convicted so do you fire them for an accusation? I know we do that now in hollywood but that is not real life and it is wrong.
TheH2

Post by TheH2 »

cwtcr hokie wrote: even for dumbasses like me.
Your words, not mine. My only point is that you have shown you do not know the facts of the case. That doesn't mean your a dumbass, just an uninformed opinion. It's common on a message board.

FWIW - your initial point was that if any not several. What would have prevented it is people listening and putting people's interests over that of a program, be it MSU or the Olympics.
People who know, know.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

TheH2 wrote:
Your words, not mine. My only point is that you have shown you do not know the facts of the case. That doesn't mean your a dumbass, just an uninformed opinion. It's common on a message board.

FWIW - your initial point was that if any not several. What would have prevented it is people listening and putting people's interests over that of a program, be it MSU or the Olympics.
get real man, a coach or AD or even prez of a school can arrest someone.... when did this change in our laws happen? WE have law enforcement for that purpose. I know you are super smart and again I did follow the issue and have read up on it. It is tragic for sure

you do understand that many of the victims were not students at MSU, Nassar happened to work there and was also a sports doctor on his own. So not sure where you think it was a big cover up to protect MSU. If the prez of your company did not arrest a co-worker that raped a fellow worker should your prez be fired? Remember if he goes to the cops and the victim does not or will not give evidence the cops can do absolutely nothing.

you make it sound so simple, go to a coach and the guy is in prison for life...... that is not how law enforcement works
TheH2

Post by TheH2 »

cwtcr hokie wrote:
TheH2 wrote:

get real man, a coach or AD or even prez of a school can arrest someone.... when did this change in our laws happen? WE have law enforcement for that purpose. I know you are super smart and again I did follow the issue and have read up on it. It is tragic for sure

you do understand that many of the victims were not students at MSU, Nassar happened to work there and was also a sports doctor on his own. So not sure where you think it was a big cover up to protect MSU. If the prez of your company did not arrest a co-worker that raped a fellow worker should your prez be fired? Remember if he goes to the cops and the victim does not or will not give evidence the cops can do absolutely nothing.

you make it sound so simple, go to a coach and the guy is in prison for life...... that is not how law enforcement works
I never said it was simple. I never said the coach would put him in jail for life.

Most were not at MSU. It's far harder to do this to an adult that has not been abused than it is to start with a child and continue from there. There are known instances of it happening at MSU. They were reported and the person was allowed to continue.

When they recruit they talk about the athletes experience, state of the art equipment, coaches, etc. It's the pitch. They are responsible for all aspects of the athletes training, and this includes doctors.
People who know, know.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

TheH2 wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
TheH2 wrote:

I never said it was simple. I never said the coach would put him in jail for life.

Most were not at MSU. It's far harder to do this to an adult that has not been abused than it is to start with a child and continue from there. There are known instances of it happening at MSU. They were reported and the person was allowed to continue.

When they recruit they talk about the athletes experience, state of the art equipment, coaches, etc. It's the pitch. They are responsible for all aspects of the athletes training, and this includes doctors.
it was reported to law enforcement?

btw, when I was out grabbing lunch a guy stole my wallet. I told the store clerk, she promised she would investigate, indict and get the guy in jail....I am confident it is handled well

You keep saying it was reported but you have very few that came forward before the ACTUAL COPS had someone file charges against Nassar, then the flood gates opened as others THEN came forward and FILED CHARGES.... again, not sure why you think telling someone and accusation that has nothing to do with law enforcement will do a damn thing
TheH2

Post by TheH2 »

cwtcr hokie wrote:
TheH2 wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
TheH2 wrote:

btw, when I was out grabbing lunch a guy stole my wallet. I told the store clerk, she promised she would investigate, indict and get the guy in jail....I am confident it is handled well

You keep saying it was reported but you have very few that came forward before the ACTUAL COPS had someone file charges against Nassar, then the flood gates opened as others THEN came forward and FILED CHARGES.... again, not sure why you think telling someone and accusation that has nothing to do with law enforcement will do a damn thing
Your analogies are not analogous, and therefore pointless.
Reported to at least two police departments. Again, you don't have an informed opinion. Have a great weekend.
People who know, know.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

TheH2 wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
TheH2 wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
TheH2 wrote:

Your analogies are not analogous, and therefore pointless.
Reported to at least two police departments. Again, you don't have an informed opinion. Have a great weekend.
With what evidence? you are smarter than this. Yes, one or two report it with zero evidence, just an accusation, cops don't have much to go on except go interview Nassar, he says he did nothing
exactly how do the cops build a case against the guy. But the POINT is if everyone assaulted comes forward the cops quickly see a pattern and issue and have something to work with so yes it may take more than a couple for a special case like this. MY POINT all along was IF ANYONE has a crime committed against them they should go to LAW ENFORCEMENT and see what can be done, doing nothing just gets more victims. I know, I am an idiot, your smarts are incredible
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

RiverguyVT wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:It is creepy...BUT
Anyone wonder if his defense fumbled the ball by neglecting to claim that Nassar "identified as" someone whom doing those things would be okay. Say he "identifies as" a 14 year old boyfriend of each victim.

Isn't self identity legit nowadays? Asking for a friend..
Not sure if serious.....

of course it is not serious, neither is my post but it does point out the stupidity that we live in these days. Everyone is outraged (rightly so) at the freak that Nassar was but it is ok if a guy wants to use the women bathroom or locker room, we should all just accept that
Today, when a guy goes into a girls locker room or bathroom, people go get security and tell them about it.
Now it is I who isn’t sure if you are being serious.
Really? So, if a man walked into the bathroom where your 10 year old daughter was, you, and/or your wife, would just let it go, because there's a law that says if someone identifies as a women, they can use that bathroom?

I find that hard to believe.
Also, we were all told that the laws would allow unfettered access to women's bathrooms, by pervs. So far, I don't see any evidence of that, and there is no doubt that there are plenty of groups and conservative media, that are tracking it.
If there was an issue, I am pretty sure we would have heard about it by someone like the family research council.
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

cwtcr hokie wrote:
NO, it is a criminal issue and I don't get this that anyone that knew Nassar is responsible for his actions. Nassar was the freak, and coaches or other people or university admin people are not cops, they could not stop Nassar, law enforcement does that IF people report when a crime is committed against them.
Apparently over the years he was reported by numerous people to higher ups in the university as well as the police. So how is it different?
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

cwtcr hokie wrote:
TheH2 wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
I hate to tell ya but I followed the story as I follow new regularly. So just stop with your constant you know more than me crap. Again, reporting to a colleage or coach or joe on the street is not what you do when a crime is committed against you. IF somebody steals your car do you call your mechanic? If a co-worker comes to you and says that another worker stole $100 off their desk are you going to arrest the guy? No, you tell them to call the damn cops..... not sure why this is so hard to understand.

but if you insist on telling a coach is the way to go then what is the coach supposed to do, go to the cops? the cops at that point can't do anything as the person that the crime is committed against is not present and they normally do not work off third hand info..... again, IF A CRIME IS COMMITTED AGAINST YOU GO TO THE LAW ENFORCEMENT, not the school janitor
If you tell other staff then they can take immediate action to suspend or terminate, which would stop the abuse. That doesn't mean you don't notify the police, of course you do. But the administrative arm of the university has the ability to stop him faster than the police will.
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

cwtcr hokie wrote:
TheH2 wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
TheH2 wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:

Yes of course the NCAA should come down hard on MSU. It was reported to people at MSU and ignored. If they have any responsibility for their athletes (and they most certainly do) they should be punished.

The punishment should be consistent with the actions. They shouldn't dismantle the basketball program because gymnastics and volleyball f'd up, but they should go after their respective sports where there was a cover up or negligence.
Ok, so the report had enough evidence to arrest the guy right? As I said 10 times so far due to the special nature of this it may take more than one or two to get him. Secondly most humans know that school police depts are just for writing parking tickets..... I am guessing there are actual cops in the city that MSU is located in. IF something happened to me at VT my first call was not to the tech cops, it was to the bburg cops. Yes it goes back to the victim has a responsibility to push for justice for themselves if they have been wronged....pretty simple concept

couple of issues, it was not their athletes, was not aware a 12 year old can go to college. Yes some were msu athletes but did they report anything? But again the ncaa is not a law enforcement org and has zero power to arrest or indict or investigate. And please answer what was a random coach supposed to do? So he/she reports it to the AD I guess, what does the AD do, report to the prez I guess. And the prez says if a crime has been committed go to the actual law enforcement and press charges. Since it is only an accusation at that time the person committing the offense is not convicted so do you fire them for an accusation? I know we do that now in hollywood but that is not real life and it is wrong.
You suspend them based on multiple accusations, thus stopping the pattern of abuse. You tgen notify the police who then take the time to intervirew, investigate, etc. and then charge te guy if there is enough evidence. Meanwhile, the administrative suspension has removed him fromthe matter. This is all common sense, but you have some strange hangup.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

133743Hokie wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
Apparently over the years he was reported by numerous people to higher ups in the university as well as the police. So how is it different?
what was reported? and exactly how is an administrator at a university going to get an indictment of Nassar? FYI, if they do in hollywood now and take an accusation as proof and fired Nassar do you think he would have stopped doing what he was doing? Thus why we have this thing called law enforcement, when your car gets stolen to you call your mechanic or the cops? A victim of a crime does have a responsibility to come forward and pursue the police filing charges against the person even if it is very uncomfortable to do so, because if they do not then the criminal can continue to commit crimes with no risk of punishment and stack up victims.... this case is a perfect example of that. It is a tragedy all around but IMO due to victims not coming forward way to many victims were created. I do agree that due to the special circumstance of this case it would have taken a few to file charges before they could have gotten him. and yes it sucks all around but I blame Nassar, not a college administrator or other coach that had no part of his criminal activity. If they were in the room participating then yes arrest them, otherwise there was not alot they could do.

Quick question, if a student would have gone to a dean at VT and said Cho was going to hurt other people could that admin done anything to stop him? Cho had not done anything illegal prior to his shooting spree. In the cho case I beleive I remember that some people had made comments about him, do VT admins bear any responsibility for Cho's actions?
Last edited by cwtcr hokie on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

cwtcr hokie wrote:
TheH2 wrote:

No, you go to the coach and other administrators and the guy is suspended/put on leave, thereby stopping the pattern . Next the police come in and investigate criminality .
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

cwtcr hokie wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
what was reported? and exactly how is an administrator at a university going to get an indictment of Nassar? FYI, if they do in hollywood now and take an accusation as proof and fired Nassar do you think he would have stopped doing what he was doing? Thus why we have this thing called law enforcement, when your car gets stolen to you call your mechanic or the cops? A victim of a crime does have a responsibility to come forward and pursue the police filing charges against the person even if it is very uncomfortable to do so, because if they do not then the criminal can continue to commit crimes with no risk of punishment and stack up victims.... this case is a perfect example of that. It is a tragedy all around but IMO due to victims not coming forward way to many victims were created. I do agree that due to the special circumstance of this case it would have taken a few to file charges before they could have gotten him. and yes it sucks all around but I blame Nassar, not a college administrator or other coach that had no part of his criminal activity. If they were in the room participating then yes arrest them, otherwise there was not alot they could do.
Suspend, put on leave or fire. THAT's what the university cloud have done, getting him away from the girls immediately.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

133743Hokie wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
TheH2 wrote:

No, you go to the coach and other administrators and the guy is suspended/put on leave, thereby stopping the pattern . Next the police come in and investigate criminality .
Suspended for an accusation? If the victim does not file charges with the cops the cops are not going to be involved. The coach can go to the cops, without an actual victim filing charges there is zero action on the cops part as that is how they operate. Otherwise you could get anyone arrested by telling cops anything. Getting him suspended just moves the problem to wherever he goes next.

You have noticed that all of the hollywood folks accused and told to go away and disappear have not had any actual charges filed on them by law enforcement.
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

cwtcr hokie wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:

Quick question, if a student would have gone to a dean at VT and said Cho was going to hurt other people could that admin done anything to stop him? Cho had not done anything illegal prior to his shooting spree. In the cho case I beleive I remember that some people had made comments about him, do VT admins bear any responsibility for Cho's actions?
You're a little off on your analogy. If a student, or students, had gone to a dean and said Cho had hurt them then yes, the university could have doe something at that point. See it's the actual action, not the threat of action, by the person that allows the university to act. Oh, and apparently some belive they did as they sued the university and Steger. Next.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

133743Hokie wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
Suspend, put on leave or fire. THAT's what the university cloud have done, getting him away from the girls immediately.
so move the problem somewhere else, that is a solution?

Remember this is an accusation, I know that is how hollywood is acting now but if that is how we operate it is a very bad slope as you can basically eliminate anyone in your way by putting out an accusation.
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

cwtcr hokie wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
TheH2 wrote:

Suspended for an accusation? If the victim does not file charges with the cops the cops are not going to be involved. The coach can go to the cops, without an actual victim filing charges there is zero action on the cops part as that is how they operate. Otherwise you could get anyone arrested by telling cops anything. Getting him suspended just moves the problem to wherever he goes next.

You have noticed that all of the hollywood folks accused and told to go away and disappear have not had any actual charges filed on them by law enforcement.
I'll type slowly so your little brain can try and grasp this. Step 1, suspend/put on leave/whatever to protect from future abuse. Step 2, contact police about past abuses so they can investigate. You have to remove the guy from the situation. If not, he's still there doing his thing while the police investigate . This really isnt that hard to understand. You cant be this F'in thick.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

133743Hokie wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:

You're a little off on your analogy. If a student, or students, had gone to a dean and said Cho had hurt them then yes, the university could have doe something at that point. See it's the actual action, not the threat of action, by the person that allows the university to act. Oh, and apparently some belive they did as they sued the university and Steger. Next.
Yes, the admin would have told the student or students to go file assault charges with the cops and of course they sued, deep pockets and you have to blame someone (it helps if they have deep pockets and the org being sued will pay to keep their name from being sullied). What is being missed as the university is not a law enforcement entity, they can recommend to the victim but the victim has to handle the law enforcement part, its how our system works.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

133743Hokie wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
TheH2 wrote:

I'll type slowly so your little brain can try and grasp this. Step 1, suspend/put on leave/whatever to protect from future abuse. Step 2, contact police about past abuses so they can investigate. You have to remove the guy from the situation. If not, he's still there doing his thing while the police investigate . This really isnt that hard to understand. You cant be this F'in thick.
Ok try that, without an actual victim of the crime the cops have nothing to investigate, I guess I have no idea how law enforcement operates. OK, fyi, I agree Nassar should have been stopped long before 170+ victims and it is a tragedy. I blame Nassar

btw 133743, we can disagree without the personal insults, have a good one
Last edited by cwtcr hokie on Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nolanvt
Alma Mater: Marshall Univ.

Post by nolanvt »

Reports out that Izzo and Dantonio may resign/retire soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fully vaccinated, still not dead
TheH2

Post by TheH2 »

cwtcr hokie wrote:
TheH2 wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
TheH2 wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:

Why are you ok thinking that multiple people need to come forward? That's a problem.
People who know, know.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

quote="cwtcr hokie"]
TheH2 wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
TheH2 wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:

couple of issues, it was not their athletes, was not aware a 12 year old can go to college. Yes some were msu athletes but did they report anything? But again the ncaa is not a law enforcement org and has zero power to arrest or indict or investigate. And please answer what was a random coach supposed to do? So he/she reports it to the AD I guess, what does the AD do, report to the prez I guess. And the prez says if a crime has been committed go to the actual law enforcement and press charges. Since it is only an accusation at that time the person committing the offense is not convicted so do you fire them for an accusation? I know we do that now in hollywood but that is not real life and it is wrong.[/quote]

Why are you ok thinking that multiple people need to come forward? That's a problem.[/quote]

In this particular case you have a doctor, doctors do touch people during exams, sometimes in your genital parts. I agree all it should take is one but also in this particular case you have a he said /she said with very little evidence unless the victim had a rape kit done at a hospital if it is even possible to get dna off the docs fingers. So REALISTICALLY and totally IN MY OPINION it may take more than one to raise a large amount of suspicion. You are welcome to disagree
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

nolanvt wrote:Reports out that Izzo and Dantonio may resign/retire soon.

why?
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

cwtcr hokie wrote:
nolanvt wrote:Reports out that Izzo and Dantonio may resign/retire soon.

why?
Think Baylor. Not treating sexual assault charges against players in a proper manner.
Some ESPN report came out recently.