Larry Nassar sentenced to 40-175 years

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
cwtcr hokie

Re: Larry Nassar sentenced to 40-175 years

Post by cwtcr hokie »

t sure why this hasn't been a much bigger story. This is sick. I wish it would never happen again. This should be widely publicized to show how something so disturbing can happen in an organization.[/quote]

or why didn't any of the first 50 females go to the cops? or their parents for that matter? I don't understand why it took 150 people to make an allegation to stop him, if the first few he ever messed with did then there would be 100+ that never had to deal with it

the dude is creepy besides but I guess being a doctor he could get away with it, strange[/quote]
This is why it should be the biggest story. We should all be made aware of why it happened for 30 years.

There were complaints. Those complained were told it was a medical treatment. He was even investigated in 2014 and cleared. He was a sick dude that did at least one treatment with a parent in the room but positioned himself so the parents couldn't see what was going on. If the parents were ok with it then it must be ok right? You should listen to the testimony by Raisman.

A story by the local newspaper was the straw. Gotta love the press.[/quote]

If a crime is committed against you then go to the cops, not some organization, that is my issue. Go to the cops and make a charge against the person, it gets investigated and in the Nassar case more people would prob come out at that point with their stories, then he is stopped. Who goes to a coach or administator, that is what cops are for

There was an eye doctor that just got his practice destroyed and he is out of business due to sex allegations by a few patients so yes going to the cops and filing a charge can work[/quote]

In an ideal world. In an ideal world telling an adult would be enough. Or, your coach, the person you spend more time with than anyone.
http://www.mlive.com/news/index.ssf/201 ... ce_re.html

The victims are victims, not the problems. This again reinforces why this should be the biggest news story.[/quote]

I agree the victims are victims, I also strongly suggest to any human that if a crime is committed against you, go to law enforcement....last I checked coaches could not arrest or investigate anyone. Go to law enforcement!

not sure where you get this case was not publicized, espn has been all over it and the msm. When nobody comes forward to make charges there is nothing to talk about. Once that finally happened it got lots of attention[/quote]

Click on the link. Someone did go to the police. It didn't prevent this. Once again, you are just flat out wrong.[/quote]

correct, so maybe ANYONE THAT A CRIME IS COMMITTED AGAINST GO REPORT IT, I agree 1 or 5 may not be enough but if the 10th person that is assaulted and goes to the cops gets the guy stopped then there are 175 less victims, correct?[/quote]

Are you blaming 10 year old kids for not having the wherewithal to first understand that their doctor is sexually abusing them and then not reporting those acts to authorities?

seriously Fester, try and keep up. I am not blaming any victims, the reason the guy got away with it for so long is because the victims did not report it or reported it to a coach, last I checked a coach cannot arrest or investigate anyone. And you would think in modern times with children knowing what they know now that going to the cops and doing something about it is the action to be taken. If ANY crime victim decides to not say anything or not file a charge they are enabling the criminal to continue to have victims. It is as simple as that. FYI, he had many many victims that were teenagers. I think you would agree most teenagers know what is appropriate or not. I understand the shame of being violated but as I said if life hands you a bucket of crap to deal with then you deal with it and try and fix it, not reporting it because it is difficult is a bad option. But again for you to be clear, I don't blame any victim I was commenting on how you can end up with 170 + victims.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

HokieFanDC wrote:
TheH2 wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote: I am a bit smarter than you think I am, so I fully understand. I just love it tho when you go into your I am sooooo much smarter than you routine. But since it is impossible to debate with someone that stoops to that tactic then I think our conversation is over. Ignore any other ideas please, great way go thru life
Wasn't about smarts, it was solely about reading what happened. Again, if any. I also wasn't attempting to debate anything. There isn't even anything to debate. What the guy did was disgusting, no one would say otherwise.

I think this should be talked about more, as disgusting as it is, because people need to understand how this happened. That's all. It's clear that any of the victims going to police wasn't enough. There was also an investigation by another police department in 2014. That's two that failed. Sorry, your statements (or inability to translate your thoughts into words) indicate you don't know much about the case. That doesn't mean you aren't smart, it just means you don't know about this case and have an uninformed opinion.

My only point is that I think people should talk more about this. People need to understand that it isn't as simple as someone going to the police. Not just because the police may fail them, but because that step is made very difficult by the manipulative behavior of the perpetrator.
The whole high level competitive gymnastics world has always seemed manipulative and creepy to me. The power is held by such a small group of people and if you want to be a part of it, I'm sure there is a ton of fear about rocking the boat.
of course it is creepy, you have a very few trying for a very hard spot on a team. And it means your kid is going to be worked very very hard and can be seriously injured in the process. But it is that way for most competitve sports
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

It is creepy...BUT
Anyone wonder if his defense fumbled the ball by neglecting to claim that Nassar "identified as" someone whom doing those things would be okay. Say he "identifies as" a 14 year old boyfriend of each victim.

Isn't self identity legit nowadays? Asking for a friend..
So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

RiverguyVT wrote:It is creepy...BUT
Anyone wonder if his defense fumbled the ball by neglecting to claim that Nassar "identified as" someone whom doing those things would be okay. Say he "identifies as" a 14 year old boyfriend of each victim.

He should have been using the women's locker room and then it would be acceptable as just a different kind of sexual person. You have to wonder what the difference is between a guy using the womens locker room where underage females are and this freak Nassar
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

Not sure if serious.....
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

HokieFanDC wrote:

Not sure if serious.....

of course it is not serious, neither is my post but it does point out the stupidity that we live in these days. Everyone is outraged (rightly so) at the freak that Nassar was but it is ok if a guy wants to use the women bathroom or locker room, we should all just accept that
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

cwtcr hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:

Not sure if serious.....

of course it is not serious, neither is my post but it does point out the stupidity that we live in these days. Everyone is outraged (rightly so) at the freak that Nassar was but it is ok if a guy wants to use the women bathroom or locker room, we should all just accept that
Today, when a guy goes into a girls locker room or bathroom, people go get security and tell them about it.
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

HokieFanDC wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:

Not sure if serious.....

Today, when a guy goes into a girls locker room or bathroom, people go get security and tell them about it.
Nope. Because that person will make a video and denounce sane people as bigots.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

HokieFanDC wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:

Not sure if serious.....

not sure if you have been keeping up but it is not illegal and if you complain about it you are a homophobe, racist, trans hater or whatever......

But I guess you missed the whole we must accept anyone arguments the last few years
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

cwtcr hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:

Not sure if serious.....

not sure if you have been keeping up but it is not illegal and if you complain about it you are a homophobe, racist, trans hater or whatever......

But I guess you missed the whole we must accept anyone arguments the last few years
I've been keeping up, and there is not a big rush of dudes in women's bathrooms and locker rooms.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

HokieFanDC wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:

Not sure if serious.....

I've been keeping up, and there is not a big rush of dudes in women's bathrooms and locker rooms.
why would you hear about it? You are labeled a bigoted person if you think it is nuts to allow it to happen
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

cwtcr hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:

why would you hear about it? You are labeled a bigoted person if you think it is nuts to allow it to happen
Oh come on, no one is going to just let a dude in their bathroom because they’re afraid of being labeled a bigot.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

HokieFanDC wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:

Oh come on, no one is going to just let a dude in their bathroom because they’re afraid of being labeled a bigot.
where have you been, under a rock, you can't stop a dude that wants to go into a formally womens only bathroom or locker room these days. damn son, not sure what your angle is here but it is hilarious
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

cwtcr hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:

where have you been, under a rock, you can't stop a dude that wants to go into a formally womens only bathroom or locker room these days. damn son, not sure what your angle is here but it is hilarious
Maybe you're scared to do it, but if a dude walks into a bathroom where my daughter is, he's getting a visit from security.
Seriously, people aren't going to just let men into a women's bathroom b/c of a law. That's ridiculous. No one is going to let themselves feel threatened b/c of a law.
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

Should MSU get whacked like PSU did over all of this?
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

HokieFanDC wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:

Not sure if serious.....

Now it is I who isn’t sure if you are being serious.
Salute the Marines
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

quote="cwtcr hokie"]
HokieFanDC wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:

where have you been, under a rock, you can't stop a dude that wants to go into a formally womens only bathroom or locker room these days. damn son, not sure what your angle is here but it is hilarious[/quote]

Maybe you're scared to do it, but if a dude walks into a bathroom where my daughter is, he's getting a visit from security.
Seriously, people aren't going to just let men into a women's bathroom b/c of a law. That's ridiculous. No one is going to let themselves feel threatened b/c of a law.[/quote]

You do realize security cannot do anything about it, right? what part of this discussion for the last few years are you missing?
HokieHam
Location: Kicking over crayons in a safe space for libruls....

Post by HokieHam »

RiverguyVT wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:

Not sure if serious.....

Now it is I who isn’t sure if you are being serious.
Well, well, well......the result of the movement.......you’re “friend” had it pegged..........Nolan approved!
Chicago man accused of sexually assaulting three young girls told prosecutors he considered himself a boy in a man's body, according to Cook County court documents.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/loca ... story.html
"if you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face-forever."

ip believes you can dial in a 78 year old man who suffers from deminishing mental function
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

133743Hokie wrote:Should MSU get whacked like PSU did over all of this?
NO, it is a criminal issue and I don't get this that anyone that knew Nassar is responsible for his actions. Nassar was the freak, and coaches or other people or university admin people are not cops, they could not stop Nassar, law enforcement does that IF people report when a crime is committed against them.
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

Ham!

:lol: LOL...+1
Salute the Marines
TheH2

Post by TheH2 »

cwtcr hokie wrote:
NO, it is a criminal issue and I don't get this that anyone that knew Nassar is responsible for his actions. Nassar was the freak, and coaches or other people or university admin people are not cops, they could not stop Nassar, law enforcement does that IF people report when a crime is committed against them.
If you read a little about the story you would know, rather than have a sense.
People who know, know.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

TheH2 wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
I hate to tell ya but I followed the story as I follow new regularly. So just stop with your constant you know more than me crap. Again, reporting to a colleage or coach or joe on the street is not what you do when a crime is committed against you. IF somebody steals your car do you call your mechanic? If a co-worker comes to you and says that another worker stole $100 off their desk are you going to arrest the guy? No, you tell them to call the damn cops..... not sure why this is so hard to understand.

but if you insist on telling a coach is the way to go then what is the coach supposed to do, go to the cops? the cops at that point can't do anything as the person that the crime is committed against is not present and they normally do not work off third hand info..... again, IF A CRIME IS COMMITTED AGAINST YOU GO TO THE LAW ENFORCEMENT, not the school janitor
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

cwtcr hokie wrote:
TheH2 wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
I hate to tell ya but I followed the story as I follow new regularly. So just stop with your constant you know more than me crap. Again, reporting to a colleage or coach or joe on the street is not what you do when a crime is committed against you. IF somebody steals your car do you call your mechanic? If a co-worker comes to you and says that another worker stole $100 off their desk are you going to arrest the guy? No, you tell them to call the damn cops..... not sure why this is so hard to understand.

but if you insist on telling a coach is the way to go then what is the coach supposed to do, go to the cops? the cops at that point can't do anything as the person that the crime is committed against is not present and they normally do not work off third hand info..... again, IF A CRIME IS COMMITTED AGAINST YOU GO TO THE LAW ENFORCEMENT, not the school janitor
That's right. They and their parents choose Olympic dreams over police notification. They didn't want to risk losing out on being on the team. So they went the Penn State route where nothing happened.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

awesome guy wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
TheH2 wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:

That's right. They and their parents choose Olympic dreams over police notification. They didn't want to risk losing out on being on the team. So they went the Penn State route where nothing happened.
The problem is the guy was an actual doctor and they do things to you that would be an assault if not part of some exam or something so that was for sure an issue. It is also one of the factors on how he got away with it for so long. But to me if the first 20 he assaulted would have gone to law enforcement then there would be enough issues to have shut him down long before he got to 160 + victims. I can also understand the not wanting to mess up your olympic dreams but sometimes life sucks and you have to make the difficult choice. My issue is when you don't then the criminal knows he/she can get away with it and pile up more victims, that is true for any crime no matter what it is

I know that in our current climate anybody that even knew Nassar has to be fired or tarred and feathered or whatever, I just don't think it is right. The prez of MSU is not responsible for Nassar, Nassar is responsible for Nassar
TheH2

Post by TheH2 »

cwtcr hokie wrote:
TheH2 wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:

It was reported to the MSU police department.

Yes of course the NCAA should come down hard on MSU. It was reported to people at MSU and ignored. If they have any responsibility for their athletes (and they most certainly do) they should be punished.

The punishment should be consistent with the actions. They shouldn't dismantle the basketball program because gymnastics and volleyball f'd up, but they should go after their respective sports where there was a cover up or negligence.
People who know, know.