Will the Bible/Christianity evolve to accept homosexuality?

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
VoiceOfReason
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Every chance I get

Re: Will the Bible/Christianity evolve to accept homosexuali

Post by VoiceOfReason »

USN_Hokie wrote:
chuckd4vt wrote:
Cpt Jagdish wrote:[serious]

I'm sure this will derail but I hope it doesn't. I'm generally curious what some of you think about this, especially those who have a strong grasp of it (Valencia, you seem to always knock these out of the park).

I ask this question because it's happened in the past. The Bible was used to support slavery until slavery became taboo and then lo and behold, passages were used to be against it. Same goes with interracial marriages. I'm sure there are countless other examples. A lot of what "evolved' could have probably been used at the time to be against those positions but weren't because society, as a whole, was against them.

If current trends continue, will this happen in regards to homosexuality? The country/society has made an incredibly sharp shift towards being accepting of gay people and pushing towards their equality. It's a drastic shift to be sure, probably why there is so much friction. It's not as if all of a sudden all the anti-gay people died off, surely sentiment is changing. Utah of all states has gay marriage now! And on the other hand, Uganda is passing a kill all gays law that is backed by religious sentiment.

Now that public sentiment is changing, I have noticed cracks in Christian theology about supporting gay people. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christiani ... able_views Much of that revolves around mistranslating the bible, making the excuse that being homosexual is not a sin but the act itself is (equating it to gossping, lying, etc), that are laws supersede others (Golden Rule), and so forth.

So my basic question to the board's theologians, let's fast forward and gay people are widely accepted (if you don't believe that will happen, just pretend). Do you think that majority of Christianity will evolve to have it be accepted or not? That the Bible will be used to support gay people rather than demonize them?
It most definitely will within the Protestant American church. There will be small pockets of resistance, but we're already getting there. It will be akin to women clergy and open air preaching here.
However, there's a long way to go abroad. For instance, if it were up to only American Methodists, the UMC would approve gay marriage and homosexual clergy. But, African and S. American Methodists generally universally don't approve of it. Though, it's still only a matter of 4-8 yes for the UMC.
The Catholics will probably take a very long time with this issue, though under the leadership of Popes like Francis, they may get there within 50 yrs.
Could you explain to me how you rationalize that? If you can't believe something taught by your church a decade ago, how can you believe anything your church teaches now?
That is the mystery of faith. At least that is what my pastor says when I ask the tough questions :mrgreen:
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote: In the Roman Empire, there were marriages between men and men...Nero was one of those. There were marriages between men and children (as we define children today).
There were marriages between men and their dead brother's wives.

Just to be clear, the conservatives today, are saying that marriage is defined as between one man and one woman.
That is a fairly recent idea pushed by the Protestant church starting in the 1500s. Prior to that, marriage has been a lot of things.
And the least of those is a religious ceremony. The Bible doesn't even call for people to be joined together for life, in a ceremony.
Your characterization is completely false (though...citing Nero in a pro-anything argument is pretty funny ;) ).......unless you're telling me that pederasty/pedophilia = homosexuality?

1. Nero was a Grecophile. He was loved in Greece (the Acropolis even pays homage to him) and hated in Rome because of it - it's one of the reasons he was going to be assassinated. To be clear, he was an exception, not the rule.

2. As any good Greek aristocrat would do - he was a pederast. He married a (castrated) boy which resembled his late wife - the child even took her name (there's potentially another, but that's disputed). Again, he was castigated for acts like this because it was completely un-Roman. He also famously banged his mom - are you arguing for incest, too?

3. Romans practiced heterosexual, monogamous marriage.

4. While pederasty of sorts (mostly between premarital male patricians and slaves) was practiced to a degree, this really speaks more to the Romans lack of respect for human lives than anything else. A slave was the modern day equivalent of a "happy sock." Straight-up homosexuality was not tolerated.

Comparing homosexuals to pederasts ...or citing the social "indulgences" of Greece/Rome as an argument for alternative marriage isn't a line reasoning I think you want to go down.

Your characterization that monogamous, heterosexual marriage is a "fairly recent idea" is laughable, WADR. There's absolutely no basis for that.
My use of Nero isn't about pro-anything.

As for monogamous, heterosexual marriage, there's a lot of basis for that. Having multiple wives was common throughout history, and still in practice today. During the entire time that the Bible was written, polygamy was the norm. It's everywhere in the Bible....everywhere.
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

awesome guy wrote:BigDave,

Someone took the Awesome Guy username already. I suspect it's an AH04 or beached type that's going to impersonate old UWS posters. I would like Awesome Guy back if I could get it. Otherwise, be on the look out for imposters.
Thanks for the link. The redefining homosexuality section was humorous, especially the I Corithians revision. No wonder that church split and has seen membership plummet. It does a poor job of making thier misguided point of some homosexual acts being loving and not sin. It reminded me of the Pharasees and the legalize they employed to justify thier position. And a bit of Bill Clinton for depending on what the definition of is is.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

Once wrote:Are the changes not more than simply translations? I thought it had changed over time with regard to what has been excluded and included. Perhaps Dave could weigh in.
awesome guy wrote:
Major Kong wrote:
awesome guy wrote:The bible doesn't change...
Well now I just have to disagree the bible has changed many times over the years.

Are we talking Hebrew Bible? Christian Bible? Coptic Bible? Ethiopic? Latin? Greek? Vetus Latina? Vulgate? King James Version? New Jerusalem?

Canonized vs Apocryphal?

There were 7 ecumenical councils before the 1st millennium deciding what the Holy Bible would include. Then there are the Eastern Orthodoxy, African and Levant canons to name a few.

Then came Martin Luther and with that followed the Sola Scriptura canon and then further Catholic refining into the 1940's.

In it's own way the Bible has been a "living" document since Nicaea. :)
Fair enough about translations, but the meaning hasn't changed.
Just till canonization.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

HokieFanDC wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote: In the Roman Empire, there were marriages between men and men...Nero was one of those. There were marriages between men and children (as we define children today).
There were marriages between men and their dead brother's wives.

Just to be clear, the conservatives today, are saying that marriage is defined as between one man and one woman.
That is a fairly recent idea pushed by the Protestant church starting in the 1500s. Prior to that, marriage has been a lot of things.
And the least of those is a religious ceremony. The Bible doesn't even call for people to be joined together for life, in a ceremony.
Your characterization is completely false (though...citing Nero in a pro-anything argument is pretty funny ;) ).......unless you're telling me that pederasty/pedophilia = homosexuality?

1. Nero was a Grecophile. He was loved in Greece (the Acropolis even pays homage to him) and hated in Rome because of it - it's one of the reasons he was going to be assassinated. To be clear, he was an exception, not the rule.

2. As any good Greek aristocrat would do - he was a pederast. He married a (castrated) boy which resembled his late wife - the child even took her name (there's potentially another, but that's disputed). Again, he was castigated for acts like this because it was completely un-Roman. He also famously banged his mom - are you arguing for incest, too?

3. Romans practiced heterosexual, monogamous marriage.

4. While pederasty of sorts (mostly between premarital male patricians and slaves) was practiced to a degree, this really speaks more to the Romans lack of respect for human lives than anything else. A slave was the modern day equivalent of a "happy sock." Straight-up homosexuality was not tolerated.

Comparing homosexuals to pederasts ...or citing the social "indulgences" of Greece/Rome as an argument for alternative marriage isn't a line reasoning I think you want to go down.

Your characterization that monogamous, heterosexual marriage is a "fairly recent idea" is laughable, WADR. There's absolutely no basis for that.
My use of Nero isn't about pro-anything.

As for monogamous, heterosexual marriage, there's a lot of basis for that. Having multiple wives was common throughout history, and still in practice today. During the entire time that the Bible was written, polygamy was the norm. It's everywhere in the Bible....everywhere.
Yes, old testament. Redefined since Jesus came to us.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

HvilleHokie wrote: I'm sorry.. But if you include things like liking Hillary Clinton and miley Cyrus in your diatribe, you dilute your message.
Again, if you think that was a diatribe then you don't know what one is. You mischaracterizing it doesn't make it one. I said we'd be better off following Godly people instead of those I mentioned. That's the message, listen to the right people. Not the pop culture folks who dominant the news.
HvilleHokie wrote: And you indicated it was your business to shack up if you wanted to and were indignant that anyone call that sin.

Could you point out where I did that? Cause I really don't think I did.

I got you confused with VOR not because you guys have the same schtick, but because you agreed with him.
HvilleHokie wrote: I'm not sure how you can talk about redemption without talking about what is in need of redemption. Aka the sins.

I'm not sure what you are talking about. No one said otherwise.
That's the inference from your previous statement on focusing on Christ's message of love and redemption while ignoring those pesky sins like homosexuality.
nolanvt
Alma Mater: Marshall Univ.

Post by nolanvt »

I'm sure this will derail but I hope it doesn't. I'm generally curious what some of you think about this, especially those who have a strong grasp of it (Valencia, you seem to always knock these out of the park).

I ask this question because it's happened in the past. The Bible was used to support slavery until slavery became taboo and then lo and behold, passages were used to be against it. Same goes with interracial marriages. I'm sure there are countless other examples. A lot of what "evolved' could have probably been used at the time to be against those positions but weren't because society, as a whole, was against them.

If current trends continue, will this happen in regards to homosexuality? The country/society has made an incredibly sharp shift towards being accepting of gay people and pushing towards their equality. It's a drastic shift to be sure, probably why there is so much friction. It's not as if all of a sudden all the anti-gay people died off, surely sentiment is changing. Utah of all states has gay marriage now! And on the other hand, Uganda is passing a kill all gays law that is backed by religious sentiment.

Now that public sentiment is changing, I have noticed cracks in Christian theology about supporting gay people. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christiani ... able_views Much of that revolves around mistranslating the bible, making the excuse that being homosexual is not a sin but the act itself is (equating it to gossping, lying, etc), that are laws supersede others (Golden Rule), and so forth.

So my basic question to the board's theologians, let's fast forward and gay people are widely accepted (if you don't believe that will happen, just pretend). Do you think that majority of Christianity will evolve to have it be accepted or not? That the Bible will be used to support gay people rather than demonize them?
Yes. Churches need butts in the seats, so I think they will evolve on this.
Fully vaccinated, still not dead
One4VT

Post by One4VT »

You mean like the Episcopal Church that is slowly but surely dying? Or Protestant Churches in general that have ignored the crisis of divorce for the past 30 years (many of which have also begun the long march toward ignoring homosexual behavior)? Those churches are not growing, I can assure you. The Presbyterian Church USA is dealing with this very issue as we speak
nolanvt wrote:

Yes. Churches need butts in the seats, so I think they will evolve on this.
Don't "Sub-Forum" my Thread Bro!
houtexhokie

Post by houtexhokie »

No and No!

Because the die-hard promoters of each believe The Bible and Christianity itself are rooted in absolute fact.

Which, of course, is not true on it's face.

Does that invalidate either the Bible or Christianity itself? Of course not.

Both are rooted in the Faith of their believers and their personal understandings of each.

Fact is, there are no absolutes in either the Bible nor Christianity itself!
Both are based on personal understanding.

Please. Someone tell where I can find the word HELL in the Bible.

You Fundies rant and rave that if one don't follow the Jerry Falwell notion of Christianity one suffer Hell Fire and Damnation. Please tell me where HELL is defined in the Bible!

Have a nice evening.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

houtexhokie wrote:No and No!

Because the die-hard promoters of each believe The Bible and Christianity itself are rooted in absolute fact.

Both are rooted in the Faith of their believers and their personal understandings of each.

You Fundies rant and rave that if one don't follow the Jerry Falwell notion of Christianity one suffer Hell Fire and Damnation. Please tell me where HELL is defined in the Bible!

Have a nice evening.
Hell is wadding through your silly posts.
Valencia Hokie

Post by Valencia Hokie »

Note: long reply.
Cpt Jagdish wrote: …If current trends continue, will this happen in regards to homosexuality?
It’s a good question. Your previous points aren’t without merit but they are a bit one sided. It can be shown that many used the Bible to condemn slavery and mixed marriages as well. Some who opposed those positions were extreme Biblicists and devout Christians. You will always have outliers that rip texts out of context (mostly the OT) to prove a point or pet a peeve. But generally, those are aberrant views within what is generally held as orthoodox Christianity.

Homosexuality is an interesting one because unlike race, it is not as easy to separate the sin from the sinner. Is it a choice (nature vs. nurture)? I’m not sure we’ll ever be able to say absolutely. Whereas black skin is not nurture. This is where many get tripped up over homosexuality. Side note: I find it amusing how many people claim a 5 year olds knowledge of his sexual orientation compelling, dare I say unassailable, when we wouldn’t take a 5 year olds perspective on anything as absolute or informed. It’s just hard.
I do wonder what I would have thought about racism if I was born 50 years ago. It seem so easy to dismiss and I’m ashamed people of faith did what they did in the name of God, but they still did it. Me thinks those people are still alive and well today and equate homosexuality with bestiality, etc. I do wonder if my kids’ kids will look at homosexuality the way I look as racism of the 60s.
Cpt Jagdish wrote: Now that public sentiment is changing, I have noticed cracks in Christian theology about supporting gay people. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christiani ... able_views Much of that revolves around mistranslating the bible, making the excuse that being homosexual is not a sin but the act itself is (equating it to gossping, lying, etc), that are laws supersede others (Golden Rule), and so forth.
Those cracks have been there for a long, long time. The PCA and PCUSA splint, in part, over this issue decades ago. It was part of the conversation and how the church was dealing with it. Anglican/Episcopalians have discussed/battled it as well. What you are seeing is the more neutral, non-denominational churches shifting their perspective. This is a relatively new phenomenon. Under the Charismatic movement, “independent” churches began to spring up everywhere - Community churches, Bible Churches, Assemblies, etc. In the 50’s and before MOST churches were denominationally aligned and the denomination spoke as “one voice.” Now you have a bunch of independent churches, some quite large, speaking individually. Couple that with the SBC churches taking on a more autonomous ether that they are speaking almost as independents (Saddle Back – for example).

Those churches, while popular, can hardly be equated with Christianity as a monolith. It most of those churches you’ll hear little more than self-help on a Sunday. See Joel Osteen. They make their business to NOT be about doctrine or dogma. They are attractive to many, but not for reasons of wanting to know and life the Bible. I think those churches will move to embrace homosexuality under the banners of love and “not judging.” How much they make up “Christianity” is not clear to me.

So when you say Christianity, it’s important what you mean. And yes, I’m using the “No True Scottsman” here but it’s applicable. The more liberal, mainline denominations (already mentioned in this thread) are likely going to fully accommodate homosexuality. It won’t even be the act vs. the attraction. It will follow the “God is Love” lines and since they are in love… you get the point.

However, there are many conservative denominations (SBC, PCA, EFree, EPC, GARB, etc.) that will hold course with some individual churches within the ranks splitting off (that’s how new denominations start). I think what you will see will look very much like England at the moment (France and Germany to some degree too). This battle was fought there years ago and the larger churches embraced homosexuality, even in their leadership. But there is still a strong, but smaller segment of churches that do not endorse it. I would say that those churches are “generally” more conservative and consistent in their commitment to and belief in a literal, infallible Bible. I don’t know what the percentages are but I’d guess 20-30% of the churches there support homosexuality.

Ironically, in America, there is a resurgence in young church attendance within groups like Acts 29. There are vibrant, relevant, reformed, orthodox churches that are growing. They are shedding the external patterns of religiosity and embracing a more social aspect to the Gospel. Many are in urban areas meeting real needs. They are also engaging homosexual communities in day to day life. It will be interesting to see how they engage/respond.

I really don’t think this is an “interpretation” issue. Homosexuality falls into the broad category of inappropriate sex (outside of marriage) in the Bible. Lots of things fall into that group. Jesus himself said if you look at a woman in a sexual way (wanting it) you’ve already committed the act in your heart and you’re guilty before God. So there is little room to wiggle with homosexuality and all the Bible (even the NT) says about it. You can’t condone it without giving up a TON of ground. Most importantly, if God really does not care about sex, as between and husband and a wife, Eph 5 falls to pieces and the Gospel itself is decimated. Many churched will kowtow to societal pressure to make room for homosexuality but they will inevitably detonate the very foundation upon which they stand.

So these are interesting days. Our church leadership talks about this almost every week. How do we engage this conversation in a way that is faithful to the Bible and not coming across as bigoted and hateful? This battle seems to have quelled “some” in Europe. People basically ignore each other with opposing views now, as opposed to going pistols at dawn as they are currently doing in the U.S. I wonder if we will get there. There are still some VERY racist churches that exist in the U.S. – as an example of not choosing to go to battle over it.

Lastly, a broad reading of Church history shows that battles like this have raged for centuries. Heresies and doctrinal battles have looked to decimate Christianity (Gnosticism, Arianism, Corrupt Catholicism, Evolution, Battle for the Bible (liberalism). And even when it seems many, if not the majority of mainline groups have given ground towards what is unorthodox, there are always strong remnants that persist in orthodoxy. I think that is what you will see with this issue. How it all unfolds and what it will look like in 20 years is unclear, but there will be a remnant that remains faithful, IMO.

The question in my mind will be, will Christianity look more like the Chinese church or the European church (persecuted and underground or accepted but marginalized).
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Kudos to Valencia...

Post by Major Kong »

+1

And mega props for Ephesians 5 which I have tried to use in my quest (5:24) for a bass boat to no avail with my wife. :P
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

BigDave
Party: Republican

Post by BigDave »

houtexhokie wrote:No and No!

Have a nice evening.
Umm in the KJV, hell is used 54 times. There are also synonyms or other references to it. If your claim is that hell is an invention of modern evangelicals, there is no basis in reality for that claim. Some pop-cultural ideas of Hell (multiple circles, etc) come from Dante 's Inferno and have no scriptural foundation but it's not something Dr. Falwell made up.
Posted from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk
UpstateSCHokie

Post by UpstateSCHokie »

Peoples views on various issues are certainly dynamic, but the Bible does not "evolve" anymore than the Constitution is "living and breathing."

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” ― Voltaire (1694 – 1778)
hokie80
Party: Independent

Post by hokie80 »

Sin will never be acceptable. Sin is why God provided us salvation through Christ.

As far as tolerance of individuals who happen to be gay, absolutely. In terms of not being judgmental of gay people. We are seeing more churches and Christians moving away from that now.

But in terms of sin, no. God is not accepting of sin.
OrangeHokieFan
Party: Republican

Post by OrangeHokieFan »

100% agree. Sin can't be accepted but at the same time all sin is the same. That's why our views need to evolve into a more "ok it's wrong but let's teach them the word of The Lord" instead of "I don't need no homos in my church!". It's just the same as committing adultery. We need to make sure it's not acceptable but at the same time we need to lead these people to Christ see as that's what should always be the ultimate goal.
hokie80 wrote:Sin will never be acceptable. Sin is why God provided us salvation through Christ.

As far as tolerance of individuals who happen to be gay, absolutely. In terms of not being judgmental of gay people. We are seeing more churches and Christians moving away from that now.

USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

OrangeHokieFan wrote:100% agree. Sin can't be accepted but at the same time all sin is the same. That's why our views need to evolve into a more "ok it's wrong but let's teach them the word of The Lord" instead of "I don't need no homos in my church!". It's just the same as committing adultery. We need to make sure it's not acceptable but at the same time we need to lead these people to Christ see as that's what should always be the ultimate goal.
hokie80 wrote:Sin will never be acceptable. Sin is why God provided us salvation through Christ.

I'm not following your logic here at all.

The same as committing adultery? How would a church treat someone in an open and ongoing adulterous relationship(s) - or any other open and ongoing sinful act?
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

USN_Hokie wrote:
OrangeHokieFan wrote:100% agree. Sin can't be accepted but at the same time all sin is the same. That's why our views need to evolve into a more "ok it's wrong but let's teach them the word of The Lord" instead of "I don't need no homos in my church!". It's just the same as committing adultery. We need to make sure it's not acceptable but at the same time we need to lead these people to Christ see as that's what should always be the ultimate goal.

The same as committing adultery? How would a church treat someone in an open and ongoing adulterous relationship(s) - or any other open and ongoing sinful act?
that's the kicker, no membership and no clergy status. They're treated just like gays! LOL
HokieJoe
Party: Eclectic

Post by HokieJoe »

Teach them what? They say they're born that way. The evidence doesn't support that view monolithically, but faith is strong amongst those whom believe it.
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
HokieJoe
Party: Eclectic

Post by HokieJoe »

awesome guy wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

that's the kicker, no membership and no clergy status. They're treated just like gays! LOL

I smell lawsuits brewing already.
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
chuckd4vt

Post by chuckd4vt »

This thread just won't die. I attempted to post something along these lines a few days ago, but I'm pretty sure I hit the wrong button or something. Maybe Dave found it to be heretical. I'm sure he probably did/does.

Anyhow, what I think this may all come down to is the basic question of how we are to use the Bible. That will be the question of our era for the Church in general.

I happen to believe that Christianity is more than just a book religion. I'm not an adherent to the doctrine of "Sola Scriptura" necessarily. I'm more of a "Prima Scriptura" believer in that I think there are other sources we can use in order to determine the will of God for our lives. These include our traditions, our experiences, and our God given ability to reason.

Roman Catholics for instance seem to be much more focused on this concept of the Church's "tradition", probably more so than the Bible. It's actually been this way for the Universal Church for most of its history considering most Christians couldn't read or didn't have access to a Bible throughout its history.

A Pentecostal might tend to be guided by their "experiences" of God and of their worlds. These experiences are an emphasis and what seems to guide them often. Wasn't this what guided the early Church? Before there was even a Bible, the early Church grew quite rapidly and was being led by something other than texts.

And then a Mainline Protestant Christian may focus mostly on "reason." What does it seem reasonable the God we know would have us to do in a particular situation?

Anyhow, I think all of these should be considered when pondering difficult issues such as this one. There are indeed a couple of verses within the Scriptures that I feel truly condemns homosexuality. But it certainly isn't something any of the biblical authors focused on, nor did Jesus even mention it. And the traditions of the Christian church also seem to forbid the act, at least most of them.

However, it's been my experience that homosexual relationships can be quite loving and fruitful. My gay uncle and his partner have been together for 25+ years and I can't imagine them living any other way. They are a benefit to my family and to society in general. They are even Christians despite having been treated incredibly poorly by other followers of Christ. Also, I know of two servants of the Lord at my current church who have become leaders in a number of ministries there. I can see God working through them as much, or even more so, than practically any heterosexual person in the church.

And when it comes to reason, I think the "born that way" evidence is compelling. God seems to have created these people with this different orientation. I for one can't remember ever choosing to be "excited" by the female form. I was always interested in it. And the thought of becoming intimate with a male friend simply repulses me (Like I would have a serious physical reaction and wouldn't do so for a million dollars type of repulsion). These things in me just seem so inherent that they couldn't have had much to do with the environment I grew up in. Anyhow, I do believe God created these persons, in His image, and also in this way.

Thus with all of this being considered, I think God would have us to allow these persons to be FULLY included into our Church communities. And this is how I feel MOST within the Church will view this issue 50 years from now. And I also feel that is a good thing.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

chuckd4vt wrote:This thread just won't die. I attempted to post something along these lines a few days ago, but I'm pretty sure I hit the wrong button or something. Maybe Dave found it to be heretical. I'm sure he probably did/does.

Anyhow, what I think this may all come down to is the basic question of how we are to use the Bible. That will be the question of our era for the Church in general.

I happen to believe that Christianity is more than just a book religion. I'm not an adherent to the doctrine of "Sola Scriptura" necessarily. I'm more of a "Prima Scriptura" believer in that I think there are other sources we can use in order to determine the will of God for our lives. These include our traditions, our experiences, and our God given ability to reason.

Roman Catholics for instance seem to be much more focused on this concept of the Church's "tradition", probably more so than the Bible. It's actually been this way for the Universal Church for most of its history considering most Christians couldn't read or didn't have access to a Bible throughout its history.

A Pentecostal might tend to be guided by their "experiences" of God and of their worlds. These experiences are an emphasis and what seems to guide them often. Wasn't this what guided the early Church? Before there was even a Bible, the early Church grew quite rapidly and was being led by something other than texts.

And then a Mainline Protestant Christian may focus mostly on "reason." What does it seem reasonable the God we know would have us to do in a particular situation?

Anyhow, I think all of these should be considered when pondering difficult issues such as this one. There are indeed a couple of verses within the Scriptures that I feel truly condemns homosexuality. But it certainly isn't something any of the biblical authors focused on, nor did Jesus even mention it. And the traditions of the Christian church also seem to forbid the act, at least most of them.

However, it's been my experience that homosexual relationships can be quite loving and fruitful. My gay uncle and his partner have been together for 25+ years and I can't imagine them living any other way. They are a benefit to my family and to society in general. They are even Christians despite having been treated incredibly poorly by other followers of Christ. Also, I know of two servants of the Lord at my current church who have become leaders in a number of ministries there. I can see God working through them as much, or even more so, than practically any heterosexual person in the church.

And when it comes to reason, I think the "born that way" evidence is compelling. God seems to have created these people with this different orientation. I for one can't remember ever choosing to be "excited" by the female form. I was always interested in it. And the thought of becoming intimate with a male friend simply repulses me (Like I would have a serious physical reaction and wouldn't do so for a million dollars type of repulsion). These things in me just seem so inherent that they couldn't have had much to do with the environment I grew up in. Anyhow, I do believe God created these persons, in His image, and also in this way.

Thus with all of this being considered, I think God would have us to allow these persons to be FULLY included into our Church communities. And this is how I feel MOST within the Church will view this issue 50 years from now. And I also feel that is a good thing.

curious, what if someone where stealing cars for a living. You tell him he's a sinner, he says it's his lifestyle. Can that person also be fully accepted into the church, leadership, membership, etc? Drugs? Prostitution? Masturbation? etc? Is there anything that makes the church member or leader unfit?
chuckd4vt

Post by chuckd4vt »

awesome guy wrote:
chuckd4vt wrote:This thread just won't die. I attempted to post something along these lines a few days ago, but I'm pretty sure I hit the wrong button or something. Maybe Dave found it to be heretical. I'm sure he probably did/does.

curious, what if someone where stealing cars for a living. You tell him he's a sinner, he says it's his lifestyle. Can that person also be fully accepted into the church, leadership, membership, etc? Drugs? Prostitution? Masturbation? etc? Is there anything that makes the church member or leader unfit?
Well, let's see. I would use my mind and think about all of these. The biblical argument against stealing is a strong one. I would advise them against doing so for their own sake and for the sake of society as a whole. I think that would be evidence that such a person isn't trustworthy enough for church leadership as well. If a person were an addict, I would say the same things. If they were a recovering addict, I would consider allowing them into church leadership. Addictions ate harmful to individuals and society, same thing for prostitution. That's been my experience and what I've learned.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

chuckd4vt wrote:
awesome guy wrote:

Well, let's see. I would use my mind and think about all of these. The biblical argument against stealing is a strong one. I would advise them against doing so for their own sake and for the sake of society as a whole. I think that would be evidence that such a person isn't trustworthy enough for church leadership as well. If a person were an addict, I would say the same things. If they were a recovering addict, I would consider allowing them into church leadership. Addictions ate harmful to individuals and society, same thing for prostitution. That's been my experience and what I've learned.
Great! When using your mind, how much weight are you giving the bible vs. personal biases? How about this one, someone who divorced and remarried? Divorce is permitted in the bible under narrow circumstances, but we aren't to remarry unless widowed or I believe divorced for strong reasons like abuse or abandonment. Let's say this divorce was of the "we don't love each other anymore" variety, then what?
nolanvt
Alma Mater: Marshall Univ.

Post by nolanvt »

awesome guy wrote:

Invalid comparison since stealing a car damages another person. Being gay does not harm other people.
Fully vaccinated, still not dead