Take Down the Confederate Flag—Now

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
HooFighter
Party: all the time

Take Down the Confederate Flag—Now

Post by HooFighter »

Last night, Dylann Roof walked into a Charleston church, sat for an hour, and then killed nine people. Roof’s crime cannot be divorced from the ideology of white supremacy which long animated his state nor from its potent symbol—the Confederate flag. Visitors to Charleston have long been treated to South Carolina’s attempt to clean its history and depict its secession as something other than a war to guarantee the enslavement of the majority of its residents. This notion is belied by any serious interrogation of the Civil War and the primary documents of its instigators. Yet the Confederate battle flag—the flag of Dylann Roof—still flies on the Capitol grounds in Columbia.

The Confederate flag’s defenders often claim it represents “heritage not hate.” I agree—the heritage of White Supremacy was not so much birthed by hate as by the impulse toward plunder. Dylann Roof plundered nine different bodies last night, plundered nine different families of an original member, plundered nine different communities of a singular member. An entire people are poorer for his action. The flag that Roof embraced, which many South Carolinians embrace, does not stand in opposition to this act—it endorses it. That the Confederate flag is the symbol of of white supremacists is evidenced by the very words of those who birthed it:

Our new government is founded upon exactly the opposite idea; its foundations are laid, its corner-stone rests, upon the great truth that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery subordination to the superior race is his natural and normal condition. This, our new government, is the first, in the history of the world, based upon this great physical, philosophical, and moral truth...

This moral truth—“that the negro is not equal to the white man”—is exactly what animated Dylann Roof. More than any individual actor, in recent history, Roof honored his flag in exactly the manner it always demanded—with human sacrifice.

Surely the flag’s defenders will proffer other, muddier, interpretations which allow them the luxury of looking away. In this way they honor their ancestors. Cowardice, too, is heritage. When white supremacist John Wilkes Booth assassinated Abraham Lincoln 150 years ago, Booth’s fellow travelers did all they could to disassociate themselves. “Our disgust for the dastardly wretch can scarcely be uttered,” fumed a former governor of South Carolina, the state where secession began. Robert E. Lee’s armies took special care to enslave free blacks during their Northern campaign. But Lee claimed the assassination of the Great Emancipator was “deplorable.” Jefferson Davis believed that “it could not be regarded otherwise than as a great misfortune to the South,” and angrily denied rumors that he had greeted the news with exultation.

Villain though he was, Booth was a man who understood the logical conclusion of Confederate rhetoric:

"TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN":

Right or wrong. God judge me, not man. For be my motive good or bad, of one thing I am sure, the lasting condemnation of the North.

I love peace more than life. Have loved the Union beyond expression. For four years have I waited, hoped and prayed for the dark clouds to break, and for a restoration of our former sunshine. To wait longer would be a crime. All hope for peace is dead. My prayers have proved as idle as my hopes. God's will be done. I go to see and share the bitter end….

I have ever held the South were right. The very nomination of ABRAHAM LINCOLN, four years ago, spoke plainly, war—war upon Southern rights and institutions….

This country was formed for the white, not for the black man. And looking upon African Slavery from the same stand-point held by the noble framers of our constitution. I for one, have ever considered if one of the greatest blessings (both for themselves and us,) that God has ever bestowed upon a favored nation. Witness heretofore our wealth and power; witness their elevation and enlightenment above their race elsewhere. I have lived among it most of my life, and have seen less harsh treatment from master to man than I have beheld in the North from father to son. Yet, Heaven knows, no one would be willing to do more for the negro race than I, could I but see a way to still better their condition.

By 1865, the Civil War had morphed into a war against slavery—the “cornerstone” of Confederate society. Booth absorbed his lesson too well. He did not violate some implicit rule of Confederate chivalry or politesse. He accurately interpreted the cause of Jefferson Davis and Robert E. Lee, men who were too weak to truthfully address that cause’s natural end.

Moral cowardice requires choice and action. It demands that its adherents repeatedly look away, that they favor the fanciful over the plain, myth over history, the dream over the real. Here is another choice.

Take down the flag. Take it down now.

Put it in a museum. Inscribe beneath it the years 1861-2015. Move forward. Abandon this charlatanism. Drive out this cult of death and chains. Save your lovely souls. Move forward. Do it now.

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/arc ... ow/396290/

Donald Trump is a stupid man's idea of a smart man, a poor man's idea of a rich man, and a weak man's idea of a strong man.
nolanvt
Alma Mater: Marshall Univ.

Re: Take Down the Confederate Flag—Now

Post by nolanvt »

I agree that the Confederate flag shouldn't fly at State Capitol buildings. Just not sure that I would cite this tragedy as a reason to support that opinion.
Fully vaccinated, still not dead
HooFighter

Post by HooFighter »

nolanvt wrote:I agree that the Confederate flag shouldn't fly at State Capitol buildings. Just not sure that I would cite this tragedy as a reason to support that opinion.
Unfortunately it takes a tragedy to bring issues like this into the general consciousness.

Donald Trump is a stupid man's idea of a smart man, a poor man's idea of a rich man, and a weak man's idea of a strong man.
Uprising
Alma Mater: VT
Party: etc

Post by Uprising »

It's about heritage, not hate. Like with the people that fly the nazi flag.
UpstateSCHokie

Post by UpstateSCHokie »

Uprising wrote:It's about heritage, not hate. Like with the people that fly the nazi flag.
One of these flags flew over slavery for over 80 years, and one flew over slavery for 4 years. Men have fought and died under both flags. Why do you only see one of these as "racists?"

This is just another emotional knee jerk reaction by libs that want to erase or rewrite history to make them feel good about themselves. This had nothing to do with a flag. Jeez get a grip people

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” ― Voltaire (1694 – 1778)
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

UpstateSCHokie wrote:
Uprising wrote:It's about heritage, not hate. Like with the people that fly the nazi flag.
One of these flags flew over slavery for over 80 years, and one flew over slavery for 4 years. Men have fought and died under both flags. Why do you only see one of these as "racists?"

This is just another emotional knee jerk reaction by libs that want to erase or rewrite history to make them feel good about themselves. This had nothing to do with a flag. Jeez get a grip people
Yeah, it's weird that the shooter favored your flag over the Stars and Stripes. Everybody knows your flag is not racist. LIVs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

UpstateSCHokie wrote:

In case you're unfamiliar, the very people on the left you reference aren't fond of pre-1861 racism in America. The Confederate flag shouldn't fly at the State Capitol building because it has been used frequently as a symbol of hate. State governments should not affiliate themselves with said symbol.
UpstateSCHokie

Post by UpstateSCHokie »

nolanvt wrote:
UpstateSCHokie wrote:

In case you're unfamiliar, the very people on the left you reference aren't fond of pre-1861 racism in America. The Confederate flag shouldn't fly at the State Capitol building because it has been used frequently as a symbol of hate. State governments should not affiliate themselves with said symbol.
It was a flag that flew over a part of America that self-identified as a country. That country allowed slavery just as the United States did. It was not a "symbol of hate and slavery" anymore than the American flag is/was a symbol of those things when it flew over the country prior to the Civil War.

Its a ridiculous idea, but I realize it makes libs feel good and self righteous.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” ― Voltaire (1694 – 1778)
fatman

Post by fatman »

Author is spot on. If some racist asshole wants to fly that flag in front of his trailer, fine. For a state government to fly such a devisive symbol with all the hateful associations it is entirely a different matter.
nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

UpstateSCHokie wrote:It was a flag that flew over a part of America that seceded from the Union because the US Government was going to abolish slavery.
FTFY
Uprising
Alma Mater: VT
Party: etc

Post by Uprising »

UpstateSCHokie wrote:

One of those flags never flew over slavery.
WestEndHokie39

Post by WestEndHokie39 »

Still on top of those dead Christians beating your chest, I see. Classy...
HokieDan95

Post by HokieDan95 »

That tells us inner city violence can be cured by getting rid of gangster rap
"What's best in life?","To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women."
HooFighter

Post by HooFighter »

HokieDan95 wrote:That tells us inner city violence can be cured by getting rid of gangster rap
Yes, if only the government of New York City would take down that Notorious B.I.G. flag they have flying over city hall.

awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

HooFighter wrote:
HokieDan95 wrote:That tells us inner city violence can be cured by getting rid of gangster rap
Yes, if only the government of New York City would take down that Notorious B.I.G. flag they have flying over city hall.
Are you really this stupid?
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

HooFighter wrote:
Their takes are especially hot this morning.
HokieDan95

Post by HokieDan95 »

Ah yes, the magic of a flag (and street signs per Jon Stewart). They are hypnotic.
HooFighter wrote:
"What's best in life?","To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women."
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

fatman wrote:Author is spot on. If some racist asshole wants to fly that flag in front of his trailer, fine. For a state government to fly such a devisive symbol with all the hateful associations it is entirely a different matter.
I think it's good that white trash, racist South Carolinians are represented by a white trash, racist symbol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Post by Major Kong »

Meh folks can fly any flag they want it doesn't put a bee in my bonnet.

I can see why the State of SC flies the stars and bars it's integral to the history of the State and actually the USA...if SC wants to fly it then it more power to 'em. If at some point they chose to bring it down then that is hunky dory too.

Folks who get their panties in a bunch over a flag or many other symbols are nitwits.
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

oaktonhokie

Post by oaktonhokie »

I think I disagree, ups.

I like the south. I'm a Virginia boy. Living and loving it in Blacksburg. I would not want to live above the line and be around Yankees all day.

But the confederate flag has been coopted by hate groups. It is among other things, the symbol of the klan and other hate mongers. It is seen and interpreted, incorrectly imo, as itself a symbol of hate.

I had argued for many years that it is a symbol of a lifestyle, way of life. A part of American culture. It is that.

But, the media and the libs have convinced the idiots, of which there are many, and the self righteous, of which there are many more, that the flag is the symbol of evil.

They are wrong, of course.

But there are now many otherwise good and decent people, just ignorant of the south and the lifestyle, who see the flag and have a knee jerk reaction that is wrong but rampant.

I like it.

For the good of the country, it should not fly on official state or national institutions.

We lost this battle.

FTR, I came to this conclusion a few years ago. It has nothing to do with the pos killing people in church.

UpstateSCHokie wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
UpstateSCHokie wrote:

It was a flag that flew over a part of America that self-identified as a country. That country allowed slavery just as the United States did. It was not a "symbol of hate and slavery" anymore than the American flag is/was a symbol of those things when it flew over the country prior to the Civil War.

Its a ridiculous idea, but I realize it makes libs feel good and self righteous.
If you bend over backwards long enough,
eventually you'll fall down.
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

What a stupid article.
Did the author chop up bananas and strawberries before pouring milk over his self-righteousness this morning?

LMAO.
The Confederate flag. The leftist had to bring the flag into this tragedy. #morans
So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

oaktonhokie wrote:I think I disagree, ups.

I like the south. I'm a Virginia boy. Living and loving it in Blacksburg. I would not want to live above the line and be around Yankees all day.

But the confederate flag has been coopted by hate groups. It is among other things, the symbol of the klan and other hate mongers. It is seen and interpreted, incorrectly imo, as itself a symbol of hate.

I had argued for many years that it is a symbol of a lifestyle, way of life. A part of American culture. It is that.

But, the media and the libs have convinced the idiots, of which there are many, and the self righteous, of which there are many more, that the flag is the symbol of evil.

But there are now many otherwise good and decent people, just ignorant of the south and the lifestyle, who see the flag and have a knee jerk reaction that is wrong but rampant.

I like it.

For the good of the country, it should not fly on official state or national institutions.

We lost this battle.

FTR, I came to this conclusion a few years ago. It has nothing to do with the pos killing people in church.

UpstateSCHokie wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
UpstateSCHokie wrote:

I fly it is a middle finger to people like hoofighter.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
HokieDan95

Post by HokieDan95 »

Let's take down all those Rhodesian and South African flags we fly instead

TheH2

Post by TheH2 »

oaktonhokie wrote:I think I disagree, ups.

I like it.

We lost this battle.

How would you describe the lifestyle? What is it about the flag that represents the lifestyle?

The flag has been used as a symbol of hate. It was re-introduced at the Georgia state capital two years after schools were desegregated. The flag was also flown during protests against the decision. This is by no means the extent to which the flag is used as a sign of hatred.

FTR, I do not think the flag was a contributing factor to the shootings.
People who know, know.
TheH2

Post by TheH2 »

awesome guy wrote: I fly it is a middle finger to people like hoofighter.
Oh, you must be the one that lives next to Kings Dominion and flies the huge confederate flag off the highway.
Last edited by TheH2 on Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
People who know, know.