Be Civil. Go Hokies.
Hokie5150

Gov.orders Confederate flag removed from VA license plates

Post by Hokie5150 »

Gov. McAuliffe orders Confederate flag be removed from Virginia license plates
Web Staff, WDBJ7, news@wdbj7.com
POSTED: 10:37 AM EDT Jun 23, 2015 UPDATED: 10:47 AM EDT Jun 23, 2015

RICHMOND, Va. (AP) — -
Virginia governor moves to have Confederate flag banished from state license plates.

“As you all know, I have spent the past 17 months working to build a new Virginia economy that is more open and welcoming to everyone. Removing this symbol from our state-issued license plates will be another step toward realizing that goal," McAuliffe said in a statement.

According to the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles, there are 1,594 active Sons of Confederate Veteran plates in Virginia.

Here is the news release from the governor's office:

While speaking at an event today in Richmond, Governor Terry McAuliffe made the following statement in response to the tragic shooting at Emanuel AME Church in Charleston, SC and the U.S. Supreme Court’s decision declaring that states can restrict license plate designs:

“Before I address some very positive developments regarding my administration’s continuing efforts to restore the voting rights of Virginians who were former offenders, I wanted to say a couple of words about last week’s horrific tragedy at Emanuel AME Church in Charleston.

“First and foremost, I want to express, on behalf of all Virginians, our heartfelt sympathies to all members of the Emanuel Church Community, as well as the larger community in the City of Charleston.

“In the days since last week’s tragic shooting, the people of Charleston have displayed unparalleled unity and courage, and they have made all Americans proud.

“I also want to commend my colleague, Governor Nikki Haley, for her leadership yesterday in calling for the removal of the Confederate Battle Flag from the state Capitol grounds in Columbia.

“As Governor Haley said yesterday, her state can ill afford to let this symbol continue to divide the people of South Carolina.

“I believe the same is true here in Virginia.

“Although the battle flag is not flown here on Capitol Square, it has been the subject of considerable controversy, and it divides many of our people.

“Even its display on state issued license tags is, in my view, unnecessarily divisive and hurtful to too many of our people.

“As you all know, I have spent the past 17 months working to build a new Virginia economy that is more open and welcoming to everyone. Removing this symbol from our state-issued license plates will be another step toward realizing that goal.

“While it is true that legislation passed by the General Assembly in 1999 requires specialty license plates for the Sons of Confederate Veterans, the legislation specifically attempted to prevent the Confederate emblem from being part of the design. Federal court decisions, however, required DMV to allow the emblem in the design.

“Last week, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that states could indeed prevent the confederate emblem from being placed on their license plates, directly contradicting the prior court rulings in Virginia. Accordingly, I have directed the following actions to remove the Confederate emblem from state-issued license plates.

“First, this morning I asked the Attorney General’s office to take steps to reverse the prior Court ruling that requires the Confederate flag be placed on state license plates.

“Second, I have directed Secretary of Transportation Aubrey Layne to develop a plan for replacing the currently-issued plates as quickly as possible.

“These steps will, I hope, make clear that this Commonwealth does not support the display of the Confederate battle flag or the message it sends to the rest of the world.”

Copyright © 2015, WDBJ7 and Associated Press
http://www.wdbj7.com/news/local/gov-mca ... s/33728080
nolanvt
Alma Mater: Marshall Univ.

Re: Gov.orders Confederate flag removed from VA license plat

Post by nolanvt »

Good.
Fully vaccinated, still not dead
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

what an idiot. He's an embarrassment to the commonwealth.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
Hokie5150

Post by Hokie5150 »

The most offensive plate VA offers:

http://www.dmv.virginia.gov/exec/#vehic ... p?idnm=UWS

:)
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Post by Major Kong »

I have the DONT TREAD ON ME plates personalized ERL GRY.

So how long before someone gets their panties in a bunch because I like Earl Grey tea and demands the removal of my plates :?:
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

absolutvt03
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Voter Apathy

Post by absolutvt03 »

I haven't followed the topics on the flag super closely (mainly because it doesn't matter much to me) but wasn't one of the points made that states should decide how to handle it? It seems like that's happening and now people are upset because the state didn't decide how to handle it in the way they wanted it handled?
Forum rules: Please be civil.
"You do suck and are a terrible human being." - awesome guy
"maybe because you're autistic" - USN_Hokie
Seriously... there's only ONE rule.
Major Kong

Post by Major Kong »

absolutvt03 wrote:I haven't followed the topics on the flag super closely (mainly because it doesn't matter much to me) but wasn't one of the points made that states should decide how to handle it? It seems like that's happening and now people are upset because the state didn't decide how to handle it in the way they wanted it handled?
I want the people of the State to handle it not some politician to make some willy nilly decision based on politics, public opinion and fiat.

133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

awesome guy wrote:what an idiot. He's an embarrassment to the commonwealth.
The embarrassment is that the idiots of VA elected this lying, cheating, chameleon, carpetbagger as governor
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

133743Hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:what an idiot. He's an embarrassment to the commonwealth.
The embarrassment is that the idiots of VA elected this lying, cheating, chameleon, carpetbagger as governor

Wish I could refute that. Too bad the dems control the SEC or he'd be in jail right now.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

Hokie5150 wrote:

RICHMOND, Va. (AP) — -
Virginia governor moves to have Confederate flag banished from state license plates.

“As you all know, I have spent the past 17 months working to build a new Virginia economy that is more open and welcoming to everyone. Removing this symbol from our state-issued license plates will be another step toward realizing that goal," McAuliffe said in a statement.

According to the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles, there are 1,594 active Sons of Confederate Veteran plates in Virginia.

While speaking at an event today in Richmond, Governor Terry McAuliffe made the following statement in response to the tragic shooting at Emanuel AME Church in Charleston, SC and the U.S. Supreme Court’s decision declaring that states can restrict license plate designs:

“Before I address some very positive developments regarding my administration’s continuing efforts to restore the voting rights of Virginians who were former offenders, I wanted to say a couple of words about last week’s horrific tragedy at Emanuel AME Church in Charleston.

“First and foremost, I want to express, on behalf of all Virginians, our heartfelt sympathies to all members of the Emanuel Church Community, as well as the larger community in the City of Charleston.

“In the days since last week’s tragic shooting, the people of Charleston have displayed unparalleled unity and courage, and they have made all Americans proud.

“I also want to commend my colleague, Governor Nikki Haley, for her leadership yesterday in calling for the removal of the Confederate Battle Flag from the state Capitol grounds in Columbia.

“As Governor Haley said yesterday, her state can ill afford to let this symbol continue to divide the people of South Carolina.

“Although the battle flag is not flown here on Capitol Square, it has been the subject of considerable controversy, and it divides many of our people.

“Even its display on state issued license tags is, in my view, unnecessarily divisive and hurtful to too many of our people.

“As you all know, I have spent the past 17 months working to build a new Virginia economy that is more open and welcoming to everyone. Removing this symbol from our state-issued license plates will be another step toward realizing that goal.

“While it is true that legislation passed by the General Assembly in 1999 requires specialty license plates for the Sons of Confederate Veterans, the legislation specifically attempted to prevent the Confederate emblem from being part of the design. Federal court decisions, however, required DMV to allow the emblem in the design.

“Last week, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that states could indeed prevent the confederate emblem from being placed on their license plates, directly contradicting the prior court rulings in Virginia. Accordingly, I have directed the following actions to remove the Confederate emblem from state-issued license plates.

“First, this morning I asked the Attorney General’s office to take steps to reverse the prior Court ruling that requires the Confederate flag be placed on state license plates.

“Second, I have directed Secretary of Transportation Aubrey Layne to develop a plan for replacing the currently-issued plates as quickly as possible.

“These steps will, I hope, make clear that this Commonwealth does not support the display of the Confederate battle flag or the message it sends to the rest of the world.”

that's idiotic but fully expected, I guess if you own one tho they will come and confiscate it. I wonder if they will remove bumper stickers now also? I guess free speech or expression is being thrown out the window. crank up the offended!!!
absolutvt03
Party: Voter Apathy

Post by absolutvt03 »

Major Kong wrote:
absolutvt03 wrote:I haven't followed the topics on the flag super closely (mainly because it doesn't matter much to me) but wasn't one of the points made that states should decide how to handle it? It seems like that's happening and now people are upset because the state didn't decide how to handle it in the way they wanted it handled?
I want the people of the State to handle it not some politician to make some willy nilly decision based on politics, public opinion and fiat.

Fair enough. So it should be put to a vote? Couldn't the argument be made that the governor of the state is elected by the people?
Forum rules: Please be civil.
"You do suck and are a terrible human being." - awesome guy
"maybe because you're autistic" - USN_Hokie
Seriously... there's only ONE rule.
BG Hokie

Post by BG Hokie »

absolutvt03 wrote:
Major Kong wrote:

Fair enough. So it should be put to a vote? Couldn't the argument be made that the governor of the state is elected by the people?
It's not as though Virginia residents would vote to keep it. Too many educated residents in the NoVA, Richmond, and 757 areas nowadays that don't cling to some romanticized version of what the confederate flag represents in 2015. Though if any state claims the Army of Northern Virginia's battle flag as a source of pride and heritage it would be Virginia which serves as a reminder how silly that flag's inclusion in places like South Carolina, Georgia, and Mississippi truly is... It's just a coincidence that the Army of Northern Virginia's battle flag became a source of pride for states further south during the Civil Rights era some 100 years after the Civil War, yeah that's it.

And don't forget free speech advocates, these are government issued plates. Bumper stickers will still allow you to look like a dumb redneck if you so desire. No worries on your whining about your speech being infringed upon.
Last edited by BG Hokie on Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Major Kong

Post by Major Kong »

absolutvt03 wrote:Fair enough. So it should be put to a vote? Couldn't the argument be made that the governor of the state is elected by the people?
Oh hell no to the nth°. I don't believe in gubment by Fiat or executive orders.

In the case of SC the decision rest with the legislature. I think it would be incumbent of the people of SC to let their feelings be known, either yes or no, in re to the issue. Maybe it can be done in the form of a referendum :?: I don't know.

In VA I really don't think it's much of an issue in re to the plates until our nimrod Gub made it one.

To be honest I don't know if I've ever saw one of the Confederate plates.

Personally I get upset every time I see a UVA, UNC, Notre Dame and UT plates especially during football season...off with their heads :!: :mrgreen:

fatman

Post by fatman »

Tipping point has been reached, that symbol is toxic right now. Expect we'll see every gov't and company swiftly distance themselves from this symbol.
nolanvt
Alma Mater: Marshall Univ.

Post by nolanvt »

cwtcr hokie wrote:that's idiotic but fully expected, I guess if you own one tho they will come and confiscate it. I wonder if they will remove bumper stickers now also? I guess free speech or expression is being thrown out the window. crank up the offended!!!
As the Supreme Court has recently ruled, free speech doesn't mean you get to put whatever you want on state-issued license plates. People can still fly the rebel flag outside of their trailers if they wish.
Fully vaccinated, still not dead
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

nolanvt wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:that's idiotic but fully expected, I guess if you own one tho they will come and confiscate it. I wonder if they will remove bumper stickers now also? I guess free speech or expression is being thrown out the window. crank up the offended!!!
As the Supreme Court has recently ruled, free speech doesn't mean you get to put whatever you want on state-issued license plates. People can still fly the rebel flag outside of their trailers if they wish.
They can fly in on state capitals or on personalized license plates too.
BigDave
Party: Republican

Post by BigDave »

I have no idea if the SCV will challenge McAwful's decision here or will just go with it, but I'm not convinced that the reasoning would apply.

Virginia's law singles out the Sons of Confederate Veterans and says that they, by name, are not allowed to incorporate any logo into their plate:

https://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp50 ... 6.2-746.22

If the Sons of Confederate Veterans had a picture of a blue duck in their logo, they would not be allowed to use it. If their logo was a rainbow-colored triangle, they would not be allowed to use it.

Does the Texas law work that way or does it empower a commission to determine whether the plate is okay and that commission said no you can't have a confederate flag?

If the Texas ruling was based on a commission, rather than the law spelling out the organization by name, then the Supreme Court ruling has nothing whatsoever to do with the Virginia case.
Posted from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

Hokie5150 wrote:

RICHMOND, Va. (AP) — -

Progress.
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

Major Kong wrote:
We have a representative democracy.
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
Major Kong wrote:

unfortunately true. Was supposed to be a democratic republic. You guys have successfully moved us to mob rule via elected representatives.
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

awesome guy wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
Major Kong wrote:

unfortunately true. Was supposed to be a democratic republic. You guys have successfully moved us to mob rule via elected representatives.
Good stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
Major Kong wrote:

Good stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

from each according to his means to each according to his needs...
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

awesome guy wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
Major Kong wrote:

They aren't mutually exclusive, and we still have both, our voters just don't seem to care when the govt takes more power from them.
They only care if it's the opposing party does so.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

HokieFanDC wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
Major Kong wrote:

They aren't mutually exclusive, and we still have both, our voters just don't seem to care when the govt takes more power from them.
They only care if it's the opposing party does so.

Don't matter, once the freedom is lost, it's lost. On rare occasions do we regain it, like the courts coming to their senses on gun regulations and rolling back 2nd amendment infringements. Maybe they will to on assaults on the 1st via forcing businesses to participate in gay weddings or other activities against their conscience. But those rights are eroded now where as they should be protected under a republic.
Valencia Hokie

Post by Valencia Hokie »

Hokie5150 wrote:

RICHMOND, Va. (AP) — -

Gonna be Uuuuuugly at some SWVA DMV offices if they have to turn in the old plates to get the new ones. Wouldn't want to be behind that counter.