Do any of you have an Alexa type device?

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
RiverguyVT

Do any of you have an Alexa type device?

Post by RiverguyVT »

So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.
BigDave
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Republican

Re: Do any of you have an Alexa type device?

Post by BigDave »

I have Echos in the bedroom and den. They're great - play music, tell you the weather, and basically anything.

I'm amused by the headline - "Does Google Home know who Jesus is? This man says no". Couldn't the reporter investigate for herself whether Google Home knows who Jesus is? "Is the sky blue? This man says yes."
Posted from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk
TheH2

Post by TheH2 »

If I told you that you could put a device in your house that listens to everything you say and has very good "ears", who in their right minds would agree to that. It's baffling to me why anyone, much less millions of people would put this device in their house.

Yes, I have an Alexa.... It's great for playing music and adding stuff to my Amazon Fresh order (grocery). With that said, there is a button that mutes it which I do often.
People who know, know.
HokieJoe
Party: Eclectic

Post by HokieJoe »

Mobile devices are bad enough, so no, I will not pay for a device which can, and does in some cases, listen to your conversations. They'll sell that data to other vendors and government. If not now, it will happen eventually.

I don't want 'free' devices which do that either.
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
BigDave

Post by BigDave »

HokieJoe wrote:Mobile devices are bad enough, so no, I will not pay for a device which can, and does in some cases, listen to your conversations. They'll sell that data to other vendors and government. If not now, it will happen eventually.

They only report what you say to the government if you say "terrorism", "Allah", or "nuclear bomb".

Hey, why are all these black SUVs pulling up?
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

TheH2 wrote:
If I told you that you could put a device in your house that listens to everything you say and has very good "ears", who in their right minds would agree to that. It's baffling to me why anyone, much less millions of people would put this device in their house.

Yes, I have an Alexa.... It's great for playing music and adding stuff to my Amazon Fresh order (grocery). With that said, there is a button that mutes it which I do often.
If it's plugged in or powered, it's listening.
HokieJoe
Party: Eclectic

Post by HokieJoe »

BigDave wrote:
HokieJoe wrote:Mobile devices are bad enough, so no, I will not pay for a device which can, and does in some cases, listen to your conversations. They'll sell that data to other vendors and government. If not now, it will happen eventually.

They only report what you say to the government if you say "terrorism", "Allah", or "nuclear bomb".

Hey, why are all these black SUVs pulling up?

Don't forget the chemtrails. ;)
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
HooFighter
Party: all the time

Post by HooFighter »

I wonder if TechMom has one.

Donald Trump is a stupid man's idea of a smart man, a poor man's idea of a rich man, and a weak man's idea of a strong man.
nolanvt
Alma Mater: Marshall Univ.

Post by nolanvt »

Fully vaccinated, still not dead
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

133743Hokie wrote:
TheH2 wrote:

Yup. I'm starting to think the Amish have it right with their mailbox thing.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

HooFighter wrote:I wonder if TechMom has one.
What does Alexa say when you ask about the price of a caesar salad?
Hokieman1987
Party: Conservatarian

Post by Hokieman1987 »

My wife and I use Alexa to settle a lot of arguments. Small mundane stuff like ages of celebrities or about history. What little info she can gather about us sticks in the mud would be completely useless to any marketer.
BigDave

Post by BigDave »

USN_Hokie wrote:
HooFighter wrote:I wonder if TechMom has one.
What does Alexa say when you ask about the price of a caesar salad?
"I'm not quite sure how to help you with that."
BigDave

Post by BigDave »

133743Hokie wrote:
TheH2 wrote:

If that were true, then they would have been caught.

How hard would it be for some geek who knows what they are doing (or even someone who doesn't really know what they are doing but has a nice router) to analyze the network traffic from their echo and see that it is sending way more data than it should be? A lot of routers give you nice reports of what each device is doing, what its hours are, etc.

Well, if you see that while you were watching a movie, but didn't say "Alexa" one time, it had 100 megabytes of upstream traffic, then you know it's really listening to everything that goes on around it.

If they were really uploading everything, not just when you say the wake word, then we would know about it.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

BigDave wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
TheH2 wrote:

If that were true, then they would have been caught.

How hard would it be for some geek who knows what they are doing (or even someone who doesn't really know what they are doing but has a nice router) to analyze the network traffic from their echo and see that it is sending way more data than it should be? A lot of routers give you nice reports of what each device is doing, what its hours are, etc.

Well, if you see that while you were watching a movie, but didn't say "Alexa" one time, it had 100 megabytes of upstream traffic, then you know it's really listening to everything that goes on around it.

If they were really uploading everything, not just when you say the wake word, then we would know about it.
I would bet money it's listening all the time. They are selling these things for less than it costs to make them - you are the real product.

Think about it though - it would be hugely inefficient to just send live recorded data 24/7. Instead, it's probably programmed based on existing or potential advertising agreements - ie, if it hears the word "pizza", you get an ad for Domino's pizza. It probably isn't (though I bet it can) sending audio either - rather a handful of 1's and 0's based on audio.

ETA:..... and I get an ad for Papa John's at the bottom of the screen as soon as I post this....
Techmomof2
Alma Mater: Penn State

Post by Techmomof2 »

Crazy Guy bought one. I keep it in the kitchen so she hears a lot about cooking and beer making. There's a small TV nearby so she hears a lot of sports and Fox News. After she butted into one of my conversations, I turn it off unless she's playing music.