It's now official. New NFL TV deal greater than the last!

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
TheH2

Re: It's now official. New NFL TV deal greater than the las

Post by TheH2 »

133743Hokie wrote:I know you're desperately fighting this battle with some on here, but you need to recognize you dont have all the data -- no one does. So no, we dont' know what the cost of streaming rights, or even what that entails relative to prior contracts. You don't know how much, if any, of the payment is ratings driven. Does it involve a pregame and postgame show? In short you don't know the details about this contract to pass the definitive judgement you're adamant is correct.

As I mentioned before, Fox is trying to expand so they're throwing money at properties.

Additionally, this is for a couple of Thursday night games per year. I suggest you hold off on your judgement as to whether the NFL is going to suffer financially until a major contract for Sunday games is re-negotiated. I know you're desperate to rub some noses in this. You used to be a reasonable, even keeled poster on here. With this thread topic you appear to quickly be shifting into dick category. Resist!
I'm calling people out. It would be nice to have a reasonable conversation. Instead of saying someone thinks like a poor person (what an insult!) you could say why would anyone pay more for less. Then we could discuss the economics of it (consumer/producer surplus, or winner's curse). To hurl insults and then be wrong you need to be called out. Will it change anything, clearly not because the offenders are too stupid to realize how stupid they are.

You're moving the goalposts, your quote, "their collective deal will be less". It's not. It's more. DC covered it well, but if you want to analyze it in more detail the information is there. We know what streaming costs in 2017 and we know the per/game cost. NFL network continues to have broadcasting rights, consistent with the previous deal. The agreed to a five year deal to pay $3.3? billion, previous contract was 2 years no streaming. However, all of that really is irrelevant because the collective deal was higher.

From ESPN: CBS paid $37.5 million per game for eight games during the 2014 and 2015 seasons. For the past two seasons, NBC joined CBS to broadcast five games each at a cost of $45 million. The new deal values each game at an average of more than $60 million.
From Fox: "NFL football continues to be the most valuable commodity in all of media," said Peter Rice, president of 21st Century Fox.

I was a dick to USN, mainly for the insults. He has an MO, and it became very apparent on this topic. I had to call him out. Don't regret it. He's not worth engaging.
People who know, know.
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

TheH2 wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:I know you're desperately fighting this battle with some on here, but you need to recognize you dont have all the data -- no one does. So no, we dont' know what the cost of streaming rights, or even what that entails relative to prior contracts. You don't know how much, if any, of the payment is ratings driven. Does it involve a pregame and postgame show? In short you don't know the details about this contract to pass the definitive judgement you're adamant is correct.

As I mentioned before, Fox is trying to expand so they're throwing money at properties.

Additionally, this is for a couple of Thursday night games per year. I suggest you hold off on your judgement as to whether the NFL is going to suffer financially until a major contract for Sunday games is re-negotiated. I know you're desperate to rub some noses in this. You used to be a reasonable, even keeled poster on here. With this thread topic you appear to quickly be shifting into dick category. Resist!
I'm calling people out. It would be nice to have a reasonable conversation. Instead of saying someone thinks like a poor person (what an insult!) you could say why would anyone pay more for less. Then we could discuss the economics of it (consumer/producer surplus, or winner's curse). To hurl insults and then be wrong you need to be called out. Will it change anything, clearly not because the offenders are too stupid to realize how stupid they are.

You're moving the goalposts, your quote, "their collective deal will be less". It's not. It's more. DC covered it well, but if you want to analyze it in more detail the information is there. We know what streaming costs in 2017 and we know the per/game cost. NFL network continues to have broadcasting rights, consistent with the previous deal. The agreed to a five year deal to pay $3.3? billion, previous contract was 2 years no streaming. However, all of that really is irrelevant because the collective deal was higher.

From ESPN: CBS paid $37.5 million per game for eight games during the 2014 and 2015 seasons. For the past two seasons, NBC joined CBS to broadcast five games each at a cost of $45 million. The new deal values each game at an average of more than $60 million.
From Fox: "NFL football continues to be the most valuable commodity in all of media," said Peter Rice, president of 21st Century Fox.

I was a dick to USN, mainly for the insults. He has an MO, and it became very apparent on this topic. I had to call him out. Don't regret it. He's not worth engaging.
It's hilarious how you can't see that you get insulted after continually being insulting. You're incapable of critical thinking or breaking from the script of an Economist article. Your meltdown is entertaining for the complete lack of self awareness it illuminates. Like bitching about insults while doing nothing but hurling insult. Complete temper tantrum, I pity the people that have to talk with you in real life.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
TheH2 wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:Right or wrong, Fox has been buying up on-air talent and live programming as they try and expand their impact in the sports arena. Essentially they are doing what ESPN did 10 years ago, but broadening by adding streaming to traditional cable. We'll see if they have better financial success with this approach than ESPN did.
Right or wrong, if eyeballs are less, dollars are not going to be less. The NFL extracted a little more consumer surplus (now making it producer surplus).
133743Hokie wrote:Their collective deal will be less. And the majority of viewers are not part of the Amazon, Facebook, Twitter crowd but traditional cable TV. Again, it's all about the total number of viewers and that is currently down and, even with expanded media options, is likely to continue downward. If the eyeballs are less the dollars are less.
Your point? No one knows enough about this deal to pass judgement one way or another.
Cap'n did. Until he decided that he didn't.

What? I think you misspelled H2.
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

awesome guy wrote:
TheH2 wrote:

It's hilarious how you can't see that you get insulted after continually being insulting. You're incapable of critical thinking or breaking from the script of an Economist article. Your meltdown is entertaining for the complete lack of self awareness it illuminates. Like bitching about insults while doing nothing but hurling insult. Complete temper tantrum, I pity the people that have to talk with you in real life.
He's in a complete meltdown after his failure to understand basic business principles was exposed.