So today was a bad day on wall street for sure.

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
ElbertoHokie
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Independent

So today was a bad day on wall street for sure.

Post by ElbertoHokie »

Let's say the inevitable correction is occuring or occurs in the near future(month, maybe 2). How do you see the mid terms going? How do the mid terms go if status quo is maintained?
HokieHam
Location: Kicking over crayons in a safe space for libruls....

Re: So today was a bad day on wall street for sure.

Post by HokieHam »

ElbertoHokie wrote:Let's say the inevitable correction is occuring or occurs in the near future(month, maybe 2). How do you see the mid terms going? How do the mid terms go if status quo is maintained?
Today’s drop was due to great economic numbers. Wall Streets worried of rapid interest rate rise. There was one report the 1quarter GDP was plowing along at 4.5%........is that Obama’s new normal?

Payrolls beat expectations and wages grew most in some time.......
"if you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face-forever."

ip believes you can dial in a 78 year old man who suffers from deminishing mental function
HokieHam
Location: Kicking over crayons in a safe space for libruls....

Post by HokieHam »

HokieHam wrote:
ElbertoHokie wrote:Let's say the inevitable correction is occuring or occurs in the near future(month, maybe 2). How do you see the mid terms going? How do the mid terms go if status quo is maintained?
Today’s drop was due to great economic numbers. Wall Streets worried of rapid interest rate rise. There was one report the 1quarter GDP was plowing along at 4.5%........is that Obama’s new normal?

As far as mid terms, Nolan’s Best bud Nate Silver says it’s gonna be very hard for Dems to take the Senate.....and their reactions to people getting more back in their paycheck and their despicable behavior at the SOTU was very bad optics. I think they lose seats in Senate, maybe pick up a few in the house........that’s a big maybe.
"if you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face-forever."

ip believes you can dial in a 78 year old man who suffers from deminishing mental function
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

Odd choice of news to key in on.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
HokieJoe
Party: Eclectic

Post by HokieJoe »

HokieHam wrote:

Yep. Good economic numbers means the fed may raise interest rates.
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

HokieJoe wrote:
HokieHam wrote:

Yep. Good economic numbers means the fed may raise interest rates.
Interest rates are still rock bottom. Another quarter percent in march is "meh"
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

The tax cut makes for a very bullish condition. Very
So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

Unemployment remains very low at 4.1%. The economy is growing. Employers need employees and are finding it harder to get them. Salaries/hourly wages are starting to rise to maintain employees. This is fueling thoughts of inflation, this pushing up interest rates, possibly faster than the Fed projections. As a result the market has reacted negatively. It will stabilize and then tick back up because the overall economic indicators are good. This is a robust, growing economy.
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

133743Hokie wrote:Unemployment remains very low at 4.1%. The economy is growing. Employers need employees and are finding it harder to get them. Salaries/hourly wages are starting to rise to maintain employees. This is fueling thoughts of inflation, this pushing up interest rates, possibly faster than the Fed projections. As a result the market has reacted negatively. It will stabilize and then tick back up because the overall economic indicators are good. This is a robust, growing economy.
Yup
Salute the Marines
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

my guess is some profit taking, the long term forecasts are all still good and that will show up. No it is not a deep correction occuring
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

apparantly friday was just a primer for today, whew, what retirement?
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

I may be an old fart... but a 500 pt swing when the mkt is at 25,000 doesn't bother me like a 50 pt swing did when the market was at 500
Salute the Marines
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

RiverguyVT wrote:I may be an old fart... but a 500 pt swing when the mkt is at 25,000 doesn't bother me like a 50 pt swing did when the market was at 500
how about a 1,000 point dive after 600+ yesterday. I still have over a decade to retirement if I ever get there though
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

cwtcr hokie wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:I may be an old fart... but a 500 pt swing when the mkt is at 25,000 doesn't bother me like a 50 pt swing did when the market was at 500
how about a 1,000 point dive after 600+ yesterday. I still have over a decade to retirement if I ever get there though
I remember when I was in HS... the market took a 12 pt dive, and it was huge news. A bigger deal than 1000 is now.

Future earnings. This tax cut is yuge.
Salute the Marines
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

RiverguyVT wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
I remember when I was in HS... the market took a 12 pt dive, and it was huge news. A bigger deal than 1000 is now.

I know, it was due for a pullback some. I can't retire now even if I wanted to, bills bills bills. Just hard to see those large down days. I got a call into Thunder thighs on cattle future choices, she is going to hook me up!
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

cwtcr hokie wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:

I know, it was due for a pullback some. I can't retire now even if I wanted to, bills bills bills. Just hard to see those large down days. I got a call into Thunder thighs on cattle future choices, she is going to hook me up!
I wouldn't have even looked at my portfolio today if this hadn't been posted here. I sometimes go weeks without looking. Oh well, definitely a b big "Ouch!", but it's all on paper so NBD. I only need part of the dividends anyway.
HvilleHokie

Post by HvilleHokie »

How old are you ?
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

Agree
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

HvilleHokie wrote:
How old are you ?
Apparently close to 100 years old! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

HokieFanDC wrote:
HvilleHokie wrote:
How old are you ?
Apparently close to 100 years old! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
They call him Old Man River(guyVT)
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

RiverguyVT wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:

Not really.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

cwtcr hokie wrote:
If you’ve been in the market through the eight years President Barrack Hussein Obama, and Trump’s first year, you shouldn’t be blaming the state of your portfolio on this correction. That’s not logical.

Not to say that this isn’t a preview for a 50% haircut in 12 months, but for now you are exaggerating.

With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
If you’ve been in the market through the eight years President Barrack Hussein Obama, and Trump’s first year, you shouldn’t be blaming the state of your portfolio on this correction. That’s not logical.

Not to say that this isn’t a preview for a 50% haircut in 12 months, but for now you are exaggerating.

The market is still up 19% over the past 12 months. Nothing to sneeze at.
fatman

Post by fatman »

133743Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:

The market is still up 19% over the past 12 months. Nothing to sneeze at.
Agree. We are 7 years into a massive bull run with amazing gains. No one should be surprised if we see a correction in the near future. The rapid defecit increases in US defecits are a concern. Furthermore, fed rates have been at historic lows for an awfully long time. I think we should return those to "normalized" levels.
ElbertoHokie
Party: Independent

Post by ElbertoHokie »

Looks like we're going to take it on the chin again today. Hopefully this will be the nervous nelly's exiting the market and it can show some positive momentum the rest of the week.