Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Re: An entire middle school is seeing Black Panther

Post by awesome guy »

USN_Hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:Home theater is without a doubt awesome. I'm pointing out that regular theaters are better too. Plus the dinner places are nice. I can drink beer at a couple here.
My point remains - advancements in home theater technology have far outpaced theaters. 3D is old tech by the way - they've revived it as a gimmick mostly.
Not really. Modern 3D is worlds better. Theaters are responding to home theater competitive pressure.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

awesome guy wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:Home theater is without a doubt awesome. I'm pointing out that regular theaters are better too. Plus the dinner places are nice. I can drink beer at a couple here.
My point remains - advancements in home theater technology have far outpaced theaters. 3D is old tech by the way - they've revived it as a gimmick mostly.
Not really. Modern 3D is worlds better. Theaters are responding to home theater competitive pressure.
Tell me how you watch a movie on demand at home 40yrs ago.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

USN_Hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
Tell me how you watch a movie on demand at home 40yrs ago.

There are 2 prongs to your argument, home theater has improved and then theater has stayed stagnant.

1. I don't disagree with anything that argues home theater has improved tremendously and is a competitive threat/eating theaters.

2. The other prong, that theaters have remained stagnant is wrong. They've responded with the technologies I listed above of 3D( Avatar quality, not Creature from the Black Lagoon quality), IMax, and IMax 3D. Nothing in the home theater market can touch IMax 3D yet without going over 10k. And then there's the dinner theater places that serve full diners and drinks as well making sure they're clean and better maintained. I'm not saying home theater isn't good and improving, I'm saying theaters have responded and upped their game too. It's still worthwhile to see something like Black Panther in IMax 3D. And yes, not being around the riff raff is appealing too. Ironically, as theaters have declined in popularity, they've attracted less of those people and so it's more enjoyable.

End of the day it's a personal preference. Wait for the movie in home release or go out and see it on the big screen earlier. Both are nice in my opinion, 99% of my theater movie viewing is blockbuster releases on opening night. I'm nostalgic for the midnight viewings on Thursday night as they're now out at 7 on Thursday, but it's still just a bit of fun to plan out an evening of watching some nerd movie with my homies. I catch everything else at home. And as they're shrinking, the experience is getting better. I saw Last Jedi on opening night to sold out theater as I was out of town. Then again on Saturday with the kids when there was like 15 other people in the theater. "blockbuster" with leg room and none of the obnoxious people from the 00s. I'm not happy paying $40 for tickets, popcorn, etc, but it's still enjoyable enough to do so. That's where dinner theaters are great because I can get a meal for a reasonable price instead of being gouged for $7 popcorn. Or pay $9 for fried shrimp and then however many beers.
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Post by Major Kong »

I have a bangin' Home Theater set up in the man cave.

Samsung 70" 4K Smart TV, Directv and Fire Stick, Yamaha RX-V681 receiver and Bose Acoustimass 10 Series V Speakers. I'm not normally a Bose fella but these things sound great and the price was right.

As good as my system is it still doesn't compare to a proper movie theater when watching something like the Marvel movies.

Like AG said; Titanic, Terms of Endearment, Beaches can wait but when it comes to the Avengers yeah the big screen in Imax 3D or 3D rocks the casbah! :D
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

Major Kong wrote:I have a bangin' Home Theater set up in the man cave.

Samsung 70" 4K Smart TV, Directv and Fire Stick, Yamaha RX-V681 receiver and Bose Acoustimass 10 Series V Speakers. I'm not normally a Bose fella but these things sound great and the price was right.

As good as my system is it still doesn't compare to a proper movie theater when watching something like the Marvel movies.

Like AG said; Titanic, Terms of Endearment, Beaches can wait but when it comes to the Avengers yeah the big screen in Imax 3D or 3D rocks the casbah! :D

I'm getting fired up for the Infinity Wars too. It's looking to depart from the comedy bits they've had recently, which is needed and great. I doubt they turn Black Panther into a comedy as that'll leave crying table dancing middle schoolers and would be unPC.
UpstateSCHokie

Post by UpstateSCHokie »

Leftists are slobbering all over this movie. That is sending up too many red flags for me.

To hear these hacks lecture you about this movie, you'd think it was the most important social event in black history since the emancipation proclamation. Give me a break!

==================================
Rolling Stone’s Peter Travers agreed, calling the movie “an epic that doesn't walk, talk or kick ass like any other Marvel movie — an exhilarating triumph on every level from writing, directing, acting, production design, costumes, music, special effects to you name it. For children (and adults) of color who have longed forever to see a superhero who looks like them, Marvel's first black-superhero film is an answered prayer, a landmark adventure and a new film classic.”

And yet, argued Empire’s Jimi Famurewa, the movie is more than merely a milestone. “[O]ne of Black Panther’s greatest triumphs is to make you forget the barrier-breaking significance of its mere existence,” he wrote. “By the time the climactic battle has broken out — set a world away from the customary razed metropolis of modern comic-book films — you’re too busy marveling at its bottomless invention, its big-hearted verve, to truly consider the game-changing revolution playing out in front of you.

That's something that is picked up by The Verge’s Bryan Bishop: “Not only is [the movie] a long-overdue embrace of diversity and representation, it’s a film that actually has something to say — and it’s able to do so without stepping away from the superhero dynamics that make the larger franchise work. It’s gripping, funny and full of spectacle, but it also feels like a turning point, one where the studio has finally recognized that its movies can be about more than just selling the next installment.”
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat- ... ng-1082345

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” ― Voltaire (1694 – 1778)
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

UpstateSCHokie wrote:Leftists are slobbering all over this movie. That is sending up too many red flags for me.

To hear these hacks lecture you about this movie, you'd think it was the most important social event in black history since the emancipation proclamation. Give me a break!

Rolling Stone’s Peter Travers agreed, calling the movie “an epic that doesn't walk, talk or kick ass like any other Marvel movie — an exhilarating triumph on every level from writing, directing, acting, production design, costumes, music, special effects to you name it. For children (and adults) of color who have longed forever to see a superhero who looks like them, Marvel's first black-superhero film is an answered prayer, a landmark adventure and a new film classic.”

And yet, argued Empire’s Jimi Famurewa, the movie is more than merely a milestone. “[O]ne of Black Panther’s greatest triumphs is to make you forget the barrier-breaking significance of its mere existence,” he wrote. “By the time the climactic battle has broken out — set a world away from the customary razed metropolis of modern comic-book films — you’re too busy marveling at its bottomless invention, its big-hearted verve, to truly consider the game-changing revolution playing out in front of you.

That's something that is picked up by The Verge’s Bryan Bishop: “Not only is [the movie] a long-overdue embrace of diversity and representation, it’s a film that actually has something to say — and it’s able to do so without stepping away from the superhero dynamics that make the larger franchise work. It’s gripping, funny and full of spectacle, but it also feels like a turning point, one where the studio has finally recognized that its movies can be about more than just selling the next installment.”
Sounds SJW, getting nervous.
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

UpstateSCHokie wrote:Leftists are slobbering all over this movie. That is sending up too many red flags for me.

Agree. Comic books (and video games) are for children.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

ip_law-hokie wrote: Agree. Comic books (and video games) are for children.

Agree 100%.

I heard an interesting theory that (this is a gross oversimplification so no nitpicking) the rise of superhero movie popularity among adults correlates to a general irreligiousity and dumbing down of society and a return to polytheism (one of the most basic types of religion there are).

Don't know if that's right, but it's plausible and an interesting topic.
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

USN_Hokie wrote:

Agree 100%.

I heard an interesting theory that (this is a gross oversimplification so no nitpicking) the rise of superhero movie popularity among adults correlates to a general irreligiousity and dumbing down of society and a return to polytheism (one of the most basic types of religion there are).

That’s an interesting observation. It has a lot of merit in my opinion.

With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

:lol:
This feeds back into my comment about comic book super heros and a return to a quasi polytheism. Watching this comic book movie about a made-up country in a made-up world was a *religious experience* for this idiot. He's applying it to events in the past, present, and future.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

USN_Hokie wrote:[emoji38]
This feeds back into my comment about comic book super heros and a return to a quasi polytheism. Watching this comic book movie about a made-up country in a made-up world was a *religious experience* for this idiot. He's applying it to events in the past, present, and future.
Confirms opening thread
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

awesome guy wrote:
Confirms opening thread
Black Panther profits must be used for reparations....

https://www.change.org/p/the-walt-disne ... ommunities
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

:lol:
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

LOL!
HokieJoe
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Eclectic

Post by HokieJoe »

USN_Hokie wrote:

Agree 100%.

Many people from my generation forward read comics as kids. Comic book heroes are simply new mythological heroes. They are largely American mythologies.
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
UpstateSCHokie

Post by UpstateSCHokie »

awesome guy wrote:
LOL!
Is that the same group of weirdos that I see in downtown Charlotte every time I go there to visit?

Black Hebrew Israelites

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” ― Voltaire (1694 – 1778)
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

UpstateSCHokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
LOL!
Is that the same group of weirdos that I see in downtown Charlotte every time I go there to visit?

Black Hebrew Israelites
Damn
HokieJoe
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Eclectic

Post by HokieJoe »

UpstateSCHokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
LOL!

Black Hebrew Israelites

I'm thinking not. Something tells me 'We wuz Kangs' is an offshoot of these fruitloops (5%'ers):

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Five-Percent_Nation
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

It's getting more crazy.ImageImage
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

awesome guy wrote:It's getting more crazy.ImageImage

LOL. The only upside is that there's a 99% chance that neither of those two idiots procreate.