US Govt to borrow 84% more in 18 than 17

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
fatman

US Govt to borrow 84% more in 18 than 17

Post by fatman »

Highest defecits observed in 6 years. This is the largest jump in defecit outside of recession since fiscal liberal Ronald Reagan was president. Job growth and the stock market have been crushing it for 6-7 years now, but concern over the huge upswing in government defecits are a cause for concern. It appears that the US Govt has moved to a much more fiscally liberal philosophy over the past 12 months.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/won ... 5808fbfc2d
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Re: US Govt to borrow 84% more in 18 than 17

Post by awesome guy »

Bless your heart
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

fatman wrote:Highest defecits observed in 6 years. This is the largest jump in defecit outside of recession since fiscal liberal Ronald Reagan was president. Job growth and the stock market have been crushing it for 6-7 years now, but concern over the huge upswing in government defecits are a cause for concern. It appears that the US Govt has moved to a much more fiscally liberal philosophy over the past 12 months.

Deficits are cool now. But, don't worry, they'll go away once the economy boom makes up for the lower tax rates.
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

fatman wrote:Highest defecits observed in 6 years. This is the largest jump in defecit outside of recession since fiscal liberal Ronald Reagan was president. Job growth and the stock market have been crushing it for 6-7 years now, but concern over the huge upswing in government defecits are a cause for concern. It appears that the US Govt has moved to a much more fiscally liberal philosophy over the past 12 months.

So NOW deficits are an issue. Got it.
UpstateSCHokie

Post by UpstateSCHokie »

LOL! Obama added $10T to the national debt over 8 years and not a peep from you. Now you're suddenly a fiscal hawk? You're not fooling anyone.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” ― Voltaire (1694 – 1778)
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

Several thoughts...

1- you’re right to be concerned about borrowing, finally.
2- as a liberal, you’ve abdicated any & all privilege to whine about debt. Ever.
3- Reagan’s deficit spending saved us a TON of money by ending the Cold War.
4- I’m thinking the growth we are seeing now will create a LOT of government revenue.
5- job growth hasn’t been “crushing it” for 6 years, unless one sees MacServing as a career. President fast food jobs didn’t create any job growth.
6- spending. It is. ALL about government spending run amok.

Good to see you stop by.
No malice, here.
So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

So the Treasury is going to borrow $436B more than last year. Say $110B is due to tax cuts (if I recall the estimate is $1.1T in lost projected revenue over the next 10 years). So what is the additional $326B for? I expect it is growing interest payments on the almost $10T in additional debt accrued over the prior 8 years, and payments for ever expanding social service programs (Obamacare, Medicare, Medicaid, social security, etc.).
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

RiverguyVT wrote:

Several thoughts...

2- as a liberal, you’ve abdicated any & all privilege to whine about debt. Ever.
4- I’m thinking the growth we are seeing now will create a LOT of government revenue.
5- job growth hasn’t been “crushing it” for 6 years, unless one sees MacServing as a career. President fast food jobs didn’t create any job growth.

Good to see you stop by.
No malice, here.
Fatman is not a liberal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:

Several thoughts...

Good to see you stop by.
No malice, here.
Fatman is not a liberal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good one! Though no matter whatever he believes, he's first and foremost a troll.
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

133743Hokie wrote:

So the Treasury is going to borrow $436B more than last year. Say $110B is due to tax cuts (if I recall the estimate is $1.1T in lost projected revenue over the next 10 years). So what is the additional $326B for? I expect it is growing interest payments on the almost $10T in additional debt accrued over the prior 8 years, and payments for ever expanding social service programs (Obamacare, Medicare, Medicaid, social security, etc.).
That's probably pretty close, although the tax cut lost revenue is somewhat front loaded.
Interest rates are going up, so that has an impact.
They are estimating that we'll also have to borrow $1T+ in the next 2 years also.

Will be interesting to see how many ppl who criticized Obama's spending will change their tune now.
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

HokieFanDC wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:

That's probably pretty close, although the tax cut lost revenue is somewhat front loaded.
They are estimating that we'll also have to borrow $1T+ in the next 2 years also.

Will be interesting to see how many ppl who criticized Obama's spending will change their tune now.
But this isn't increased spending driven by any Trump policy. This is existing debt and growth in entitlements.
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

133743Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:

But this isn't increased spending driven by any Trump policy. This is existing debt and growth in entitlements.
Not true. Next year, the tax cut revenue loss is $200B+.
And don’t forget, Trump ran on deficit reduction. You sound like your going to use the Obama defense of inherited problems.....
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

HokieFanDC wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:

And don’t forget, Trump ran on deficit reduction. You sound like your going to use the Obama defense of inherited problems.....
The current budget IS inherited. But the issue is Trump hasn't increased spending thru any policy or action. And the impact of the tax cuts (I and many others disagree w/ your high end $200B figure) on this $436B increase is still limited. Its growth in the ever expanding democrat entitlements of Obamacare and Medicaid.
fatman

Post by fatman »

RiverguyVT wrote:

Several thoughts...

Good to see you stop by.
No malice, here.
1)You couldn't be more wrong. I've been consistently focused on deficit spending, I'm a big fan of the most fiscally conservative Pres on my lifetime Bill Clinton and his Pay/Go mechanism for controlling the deficit. I think a more accurate statement would be that you ceased to care about the deficit once your party controlled every brach of the Fed Gov't.

2) Expressing concern about out of control gov't spending makes one a "liberal" in your book. Pretty telling statement that says alot about your worldview.

3)LOL @ reduction in DoD spending resulting from Reagan's deficit spending. I'm curious when we can expect to see that materialize? Its been 30 years and DoD spending continues to be completely out of control, curious why you believe there was a peace dividend.

4/5)The deficit calcs include the projected increase in Gov't revenue from "growth." I'll repeat, we are 6-7 years into a bull market and job creation stats are on the same trend line they've been on for years.
http://politicalwire.com/wp-content/upl ... 065179.png
I give Trump/Obama equal credit for that, since they both operate on the same trajectory of payroll growth and reduction in unemployment.

6) Couldn't agree more that Gov't spending is out of control. I hate taxes as much as the next guy, but a tax cut without a similar cut in spending = stacking more onto the already massive deficit. Another reason, pay/go was so successful for Fiscal Conservative Bill Clinton. Under Pay/Go, this tax cut would need to be paid for by similar cuts to spending.

Thanks for the kind words. I maintain my steadfast support for balanced budgets and deficit reductions regardless of which fiscally liberal party we have running the show in DC.
fatman

Post by fatman »

133743Hokie wrote:

I suspect the gap is that that you are assuming the revenue shortfall from the tax cuts is ~110B. Where did you get that figure, I don't think it is grounded in reality? The non-partisan wonks say it will be an 86% jump in deficit from the increase in spending and shortfall in revenue collection. Why would obamacare spike so much in 18 from 17?
fatman

Post by fatman »

133743Hokie wrote:

Nice deflection, I'm a 3rd party guy who considers the GOP and the DNC(with the exception of Bill Clinton) to be recklessly fiscally liberal. That's me, I'm curious why you feel that deficits were an existential crisis to the US, but now an unfunded tax cut guaranteed to explode the deficits is prudent?
fatman

Post by fatman »

133743Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:

I don't think this is complicated if you read the article. Trump is reducing income(tax cuts) without reducing spending, simple math tells you that deficits will increase. It isn't rocket science. This is the equivalent of a failing business that is amassing debt deciding not to increase sales or cut spending, but to go get a few more high interest credit cards.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

fatman wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:

Nice deflection, I'm a 3rd party guy who considers the GOP and the DNC(with the exception of Bill Clinton) to be recklessly fiscally liberal. That's me, I'm curious why you feel that deficits were an existential crisis to the US, but now an unfunded tax cut guaranteed to explode the deficits is prudent?
You keep confusing Newt Gingrich with Bill Clinton. It's great comedy.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

fatman wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:

I don't think this is complicated if you read the article. Trump is reducing income(tax cuts) without reducing spending, simple math tells you that deficits will increase. It isn't rocket science. This is the equivalent of a failing business that is amassing debt deciding not to increase sales or cut spending, but to go get a few more high interest credit cards.
Growing economy and repatriation are basic math that you're missing, intentionally.
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

133743Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:

The current budget IS inherited. But the issue is Trump hasn't increased spending thru any policy or action. And the impact of the tax cuts (I and many others disagree w/ your high end $200B figure) on this $436B increase is still limited. Its growth in the ever expanding democrat entitlements of Obamacare and Medicaid.
That’s still the Obama defense. Trump said he would cut deficits. He knew what he was getting into. Can you putbyear 1 spending on him? No. But there are no plans in place to reduce spending. Any cuts he made to departments were added to other budgets. And he’s talking about more spending on infrastructure and a wall. He owns his current inaction and any increases.
fatman

Post by fatman »

awesome guy wrote:
fatman wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:

Growing economy and repatriation are basic math that you're missing, intentionally.
awesome guy wrote:
fatman wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:

Could you please elaborate? The economy has been growing steadily through a record long bull market, believe we are just behind the Clinton bull market for the 2nd longest bull market in history. The gov't budget wonks did include economic growth projections and the corresponding increase on receivables into those deficit calculations, are you concerned they've miscalculated? If so, could you please elaborate about your concerns? Or maybe that's not your style, in which case you could always toss out a diversion or personal insult.
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

fatman wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:

As i stated 10 posts ago, $110B in lost revenue from tax cut doesn't add up to.$436B in deficit growth. So where does the rest come from? Increased interest payments on the ever growing debt (almost $10T over last 8 years) and growth in entitlement spending. It isn't rocket science.
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

fatman wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:

Several thoughts...

Good to see you stop by.
No malice, here.
1)You couldn't be more wrong. I've been consistently focused on deficit spending, I'm a big fan of the most fiscally conservative Pres on my lifetime Bill Clinton and his Pay/Go mechanism for controlling the deficit. I think a more accurate statement would be that you ceased to care about the deficit once your party controlled every brach of the Fed Gov't.

2) Expressing concern about out of control gov't spending makes one a "liberal" in your book. Pretty telling statement that says alot about your worldview.

3)LOL @ reduction in DoD spending resulting from Reagan's deficit spending. I'm curious when we can expect to see that materialize? Its been 30 years and DoD spending continues to be completely out of control, curious why you believe there was a peace dividend.

4/5)The deficit calcs include the projected increase in Gov't revenue from "growth." I'll repeat, we are 6-7 years into a bull market and job creation stats are on the same trend line they've been on for years.
I give Trump/Obama equal credit for that, since they both operate on the same trajectory of payroll growth and reduction in unemployment.

6) Couldn't agree more that Gov't spending is out of control. I hate taxes as much as the next guy, but a tax cut without a similar cut in spending = stacking more onto the already massive deficit. Another reason, pay/go was so successful for Fiscal Conservative Bill Clinton. Under Pay/Go, this tax cut would need to be paid for by similar cuts to spending.

Thanks for the kind words. I maintain my steadfast support for balanced budgets and deficit reductions regardless of which fiscally liberal party we have running the show in DC.
Wow! Where to begin.

Clinton was not a fiscal conservative.

Clinton used the "peace dividend" to gut the military by significantly reducing their spending.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

133743Hokie wrote:
fatman wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:

Several thoughts...

Good to see you stop by.
No malice, here.

Wow! Where to begin.

Clinton used the "peace dividend" to gut the military by significantly reducing their spending.
Clinton shutdown the government over Newt's reduction in growth. It's laughable to call him a fiscal conservative. His spending in his first 2 years got the first Republican Congress in like 30 years.
fatman

Post by fatman »

133743Hokie wrote:
fatman wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:

Several thoughts...

Good to see you stop by.
No malice, here.

Wow! Where to begin.

Now I’m really confused. I’m responding to a thread explaining that explaining that Reagan’s explosive deficit spending crushed the ussr paving the way for reduced spending on DoD spending later. Are you now saying that Reagan’s deficit spending didn’t pay dividends later on?

Clinton isn’t a perfect fiscal conservative, but I’d challenge you to name a more fiscally conservative president than him in the past 40 years.